Thread: Force need to add muscle: Mitchell

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force need to add muscle: Mitchell

Force need to add muscle: Mitchell

Saturday May 5 12:18, AAP

While the lexicon of Western Force coach John Mitchell can sometimes baffle, his message after his side bowed out of contention of this year's Super 14 race was simple - we need to be bigger, faster, stronger.

Still grasping to the slenderest of semi-final straws, the Auckland Blues' ruthless 33-6 demolition in Perth showed the Force how wide the gap still is between themselves and the competition elite.

And, having made the leap from 14th to 7th place in their second year, Mitchell says the task for those Force players not involved with the Wallabies was to add the muscle needed to compete with Super 14's Kiwi pacesetters.

"If you look back at the season, I think the log is a probably true reflection of where we have got to get to," Mitchell said.

"We have made grounds, but there were examples again tonight of where we have got to get to physically.

"Generating power in our lower bodies, there is a difference there.

"I think our method, our systems and structures are pretty well there. What it is going to come down to is making sure ... our basic skills don't break down under pressure.

"That comes through physical confidence, which brings mental confidence.

"So some guys will go on and wear the gold jumper ... the rest of us are going to be here working and going to get really big."

Needing a win themselves to guarantee a semi-final spot, the Blues intent was palpable around Subiaco from minute one, inducing a Force scrum collapse and never letting up.

In the tight and loose, the Blues smashed every Force body put in front of them, scoring four tries to nil - three of them to front rowers John Afoa, Tony Woodcock and Keven Mealamu.

Blues coach David Nucifora said focus on physically dominating the Force paid off.

"There was some pretty heavy tackling out there from both teams, there was pretty heavy D (defence) - and I think we got the better end of that deal," Nucifora said.

"Our ability to play some close gritty football (was pleasing), because we have not always been known for that. We showed quite a bit of patience and perseverance."

While Nucifora's future still remains uncertain, coming off contract as he does at the end of the season, Mitchell's is secure for four years after signing a new deal with the Force.

Just as he had when speaking about the premature retirement of Brendan Cannon last month, the former All Black coach was teary eyed when describing the loyalty he has for Australia's fourth franchise.

"It has been the first opportunity in my life with a player group that I really wanted to show loyalty," Mitchell said.

"Two years ago, a lot of people made a big decision in their life to come to this club, and I think loyalty to that group and to those individuals is really important.

"And my family has got stability - and the opportunities that exist in WA are outstanding."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Every word gospel, I wonder where the recruiting eyes are looking with a couple of spots in the roster. I'd think beyond a third hooker, the forwards will probably not increase too much,there might be room for another lock, a real mongrel poidevin-type but who is there in Aussie rugby right now. I'd be looking to replace the aggression and speed of Digby in the outside backs. our bench looks a bit light there now.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Agree we need to look for a Lock GIGST, although we will have O'Connor (an unsung hero of '06) back and also you would assume Apprentices Michael Dan and Tom Hockings would be pushing for selection after the ARC.
    If we do though, I think first pick Australian based players are tied up now so may need to look to Europe at an Andrew Farley (Connacht, Ireland) or Perth born Daniel Montagu who is bumping around between Leicester and one of the First Grade teams.
    For a Hooker I would be chasing Huia Edmonds who is currently in SA with the Stormers.
    So long as we don't have an '06 type injury year I think we are going ok in the outside backs so it may be an opportunity to bring through a local lad.
    You would assume that Jon McGrath will step up to a full contract now for O'Young so maybe another Senior Apprentice opening for a local too?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    According to the report in the West this morning O'Meara is reported to be looking for
    Hooker
    Second Row
    Back Row
    Scrum half
    Winger

vCash
    Is his full time video message available somewhere to watch again?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Not on Rugby WA website yet....but I am sure it will.....this is going to get nasty for the government.....BRING IT ON

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    He said similar in the post match Fox interview.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    We need more mongrel. The way the Blues were stretching the rules way past its limits thats the stuff we need to do. Unfortunately I had to watch it on Foxtel the stuff the Blues were doing breaking up the Forces mauls was a thing of beauty we need to get someone to teach the boys how to do thst stuff without getting caught. We need a scrum coach you can see how much of a loss Ben Darwin was. Maybe get a kiwi scrum coach seeing they have the best packs in the world

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    looking at positions that need some help.

Is it just me or did Scott Fava have a disappointing season this year in comparison to last season.

Perhaps because other teams have targeted him as a player requiring close attention. He just seemed to lack impact this season.

Any thoughts?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I agree Ex, I thought he was, on balance, very ordinary all year for someone who was meant to be pushing for a Wallaby spot.
    I won't be surprised if he doesn't even make the extended squad.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player
    vCash
    In terms of a big backrower with grunt, what about Daniel Heenan?
    And should the search extend overseas? I believe that young talent should be nurtured and given a chance, but look at the influence the experienced Welborn and Pusey have had. There are some massive South African Springbok locks who can't get into their starting sides (eg Albert Van den Berg).
    And New Zealand is teeming with big fast skilful wingers....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Overseas is fine BeeJay but they have to meet the eligibility criteria, being that they have to be currently eligible to play for the Wallabies.

My earlier suggestion of Andrew Farley is retracted, it appears Australia has lost its shine for the past Aus Under 19 & 21 Lock as he accepted selection in the Ireland A Squad and trained with the Ireland Test Squad at the start of the year.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    if the ARU put more money into grooming younger players straight after the 03 world cup instead of buying expensive league converts we might not be in the position we find ourself in now... our cup runneth over and now it seems it is nearly empty!!!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy
    if the ARU put more money into grooming younger players straight after the 03 world cup instead of buying expensive league converts we might not be in the position we find ourself in now... our cup runneth over and now it seems it is nearly empty!!!

I concur