Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Welborn Cup Teams Finalised

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Welborn Cup Teams Finalised

As a fellow Scotch Collegian, I find it sad that the "Welborn" name has been used in the Guvvo system rather than for the PSA however, if it helps to inspire someone from outside of the PSA then I guess that is a good thing anyway.
    Get on down to Subiaco early to perhaps get a first glimpse of a future Force player as the boys try their guts out on the hallowed turf!

Welborn Cup Teams Finalised

Tuesday, 20 February 2007 1:17pm
    RugbyWA

Aranmore will take on Kelmscott in the John Welborn Cup as the curtain raiser to the Emirates Western Force vs Lions match at Subiaco this Saturday after the two schools won their qualifying games on Monday afternoon.

Aranmore College progressed after a tight 15 - 12 win over Newman College at North Beach, while Kelmscott SHS drew with Thornlie SHS 10 all. Kelmscott progress to the next round due to a Thornlie player receiving a yellow card. ( )

In the other game scheduled for Monday, John XXIII College progressed to the next round after Mater Dei forfeited.

The full list of John Welborn Cup schools is -
    Aranmore Catholic College,
    Kelmscott Senior High School (2006 winners),
    CBC Fremantle,
    Mandurah Catholic College,
    John XXIII College,
    Kolbe Catholic College,
    Corpus Christi College,
    Forestfield Senior High School and
    Mazenod College.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    isnt it obvious hu will win??? aranmore own school boys rugby.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Didn't win last year...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    wow. hu beat them. coz i know wesley dont verse aranmore much because they try and keep the slaughtering whether its on the score board or on the body to a minimum.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Looks like rowing training is setting in properly now pruc, posts have gone to shit and you aren't reading the original post again either
    Have another read mate

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    shutup!!! bin up since 445am. my excuse!!! and rowing is getting harder getting buff for rugby season.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    But did you read the unedited original post right through this time

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    As a fellow Scotch Collegian, I find it sad that the "Welborn" name has been used in the Guvvo system rather than for the PSA however, if it helps to inspire someone from outside of the PSA then I guess that is a good thing anyway.
    Boy I'm sure glad you qualified that statement with the part about inspiring new talent from new areas. Otherwise you woulda sounded like an ex-private school snob, there Burgs

Also thetre's a coupla good Catholic colleges there who've produced some top NRL players like Daniel Holdsworth. Perhaps now the next good 5/8 from Perth will play for The Force

Last edited by shasta; 20-02-07 at 17:48.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Shasta, I think it is only reasonable that someone who has shared a school would want to see some of the kudos come back to that system mate?
    For many years the PSA was the elite Schoolboys Rugby in WA and it is only in recent times with dedicated development that the rest have caught up (or perhaps even passed).
    It just seems a little strange that a Schoolboys event titled "The John Welborn Cup" can't under current arrangements be contested by the School that he learnt to play Rugby at.
    The students of say Aranmore would probably be disappointed if the naming rights from one of their inevitable future stars went to a PSA only Comp.
    I would have thought it may be more appropriate to re name the Caltex Cup which is (or at least used to be) competed by Schools from both the CSC and PSA at, as I recall, the Under 15 age group. This is a Comp that Welborn himself played in (and I vaguely recall they may have won it that year?).
    I know the world loves to try and make issues out of the "Private v Public" at any possible opportunity and you probably do it under the pretence of "a good hearted needle" however, if you feel I fall into deserving that reputation then you very much misjudge both my position and my circumstance.
    At the end of the day, the only thing I care about is seeing a strong Junior “breeding ground” of future stars in WA, whether that be from the PSA, CSA or Club systems doesn’t mean a rats clacker to me.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    i want a public v private it would be good to see 'the' best skool in wa for each age. but wil never happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Shasta, I think it is only reasonable that someone who has shared a school would want to see some of the kudos come back to that system mate? .............you probably do it under the pretence of "a good hearted needle"
    You got that part, mate. means "tongue in cheek, after all. Us old "leaguies' can't resist So no hard feelings,ay.

But I think Wobber, being WA's first "real home grown Wallaby" probably warrants all the schools playing for the trophy. Maybe a play-off between the winners of each.

But my other point is that now Aranmore and the other colleges that were mainly running League programs will be providing kids to The Force academy and that's all good

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pruc
    i want a public v private it would be good to see 'the' best skool in wa for each age. but wil never happen.
    1) Being the product of PSA oneself, one cringes at the woeful grammar of what one must conclude is the product of today's public school system.

2) They had a public v private game on at least two occasions in curtain raisers before Wallabies matches at Subi that I can recall. One was a combination team of each, and the other involved TC (that's Trinity College to some of you) and I can't recall the other school, think it might have been CBC or Aranmore.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The John Welborn Cup curtain raiser was a walk-over, with Aranmore College handing the defending champions, Kelmscott SHS, a 52-0 hiding.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    and talk about bad kicking elsewhere....of the 10 tries he only managed to get one conversion

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Kalamunda Coach heard to utter, "Thank God for small mercies"
    52-0 looks better than 77-0....just

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast