Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ARU play down Rogers switch

vCash

ARU play down Rogers switch

ARU play down Rogers switch

The Australian Rugby Union (ARU) says Wallabies back Mat Rogers has not made any request for an early release from his contract so he can return to rugby league.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Bummer

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Awwwwww?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    hey... leave him alone!!!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash

So-long super sub

Maybe the time has come for the super-sub to pack up his gear and trundle off to an early retirement playing diet rugby and sinking a few more well deserved beers. I thought Rogers was great off the bench, often he provided the spark that in recent years helped the Wallabies across the line, but of late he's looked a little out of sorts. He isn't getting any younger and I think the rigors of rugby may have taken it's toll. Injury hampered his rugby career and recently his average performances coupled with the inability of the coaches to play him in a regular position has sounded the death-nell for Matty Rogers. Will be interesting to see if he seeks an early release from his ARU contract, me thinks he will.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Spot on, Busted.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    but but but... damn red's supporters

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Welcome Busted and 100% agree. Great first post
    If Connolly is hoping to get his bench to only two backs then Rogers is the type of player required, Jack of all trades, Master of none, with a Gits to cover #9, #10 & #12 but if there are three backs then we don't need the grief of an uncommitted grumpy mungo.
    Don't worry about Happy, he see's life through poofy blue tinted glasses

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    This is REALLY helpful, well done Matt.
    Also interesting to see that Del see's fit to give an opinion on anything, he wouldn't have an agenda now would he......would he

Rogers readies for Titanic struggle

By Josh Massoud
    December 02, 2006

COLD-FOOTED Australia star Mat Rogers last night kept rugby union officials guessing by refusing to dispel speculation he will seek an immediate release to return to the NRL.

And according to fellow dual international Wendell Sailor, the prolonged imbroglio surrounding Rogers' future is a "kick in the guts for rugby union".

After agreeing to join Gold Coast Titans in 2008, Rogers is now eyeing a premature switch in time for the club's NRL debut in March.

The 31-year-old this week returned from the Wallabies' underwhelming European tour publicly fed up with the limited opportunities he has been getting at five-eighth.

When approached yesterday at a golf day to honour his deceased parents Carol and Steve, Rogers declined to clarify his future.

"I'm not going to even take any questions," he said. "This has sort of hit me from left field as much as anything else.

"I just want to play golf and enjoy the day."

Rogers then walked across the practice green at Camden Lakeside golf course to greet four Titans staff, including coach John Cartwright and CEO Michael Searle, whom he invited to the annual event.

ARL coach Ricky Stuart was also present.

Searle last night maintained the Titans could afford to pay Rogers $200,000 to begin his stint on the holiday strip a year ahead of schedule.

"We just had a quick hello, at this stage we haven't had a chance to talk," Searle said.

"If it happens today it happens. I don't think it really matters. Mat knows our intention. If he's released we'll talk, until that's done there's no need for us to have a discussion."

Complicating an exit route for Rogers is the fact he is contracted to both the ARU and NSW Waratahs.

While Wallabies boss John Connolly last night insisted Rogers was obliged to fulfil the final year of his contract, NSW coach Ewan McKenzie left the door slightly ajar.

"I'm not going to say we don't release players under any circumstances," McKenzie told The Saturday Daily Telegraph. "This is not something you do every day.

"You've got to take all their personal circumstances into account.

"But generally speaking, when there's a contract in place you don't like to release them."

McKenzie tried unsuccessfully to speak with Rogers yesterday morning and was disappointed his star utility did not quell the innuendo.

"It might have been useful if he had clarified his position. You want to get a definitive statement and then move on," he said.

Sailor, who joined Rogers in switching codes five years ago, said the fact both Rogers and fellow Queensland convert Lote Tuqiri were contemplating early returns to the NRL proved "league has put the gap on union."

"It's a little bit of a kick in the guts for rugby union," Sailor said.

"These players are missing having an impact.

"At the moment the Wallabies are playing a forward-based game and backs like Lote and Mat are not getting enough ball."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Makes me angry, if he does FO back to league then it just proves a point I made in another post. I don't like league players playing in Union because they are motivated by money and the prestige, there is no honour or loyalty.

Just happy to be here

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "a kick in the guts for Rugby Union"?????

Piss off Wendell...you hit like a girl..

vCash
    I love the sentiment in your post Tef, kudos to you mate, bring back the respect the jumper deserves....

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by frontrow
    I love the sentiment in your post Tef, kudos to you mate, bring back the respect the jumper deserves....
    I don't think that's a fair comment to say he hasn't played with all the dedication and respect he possibly could have (excluding Del - a pure idiot). He's been on the brunt of position changes like everyone else since Jones has gone and I guess he's feeling a bit over it. Plenty of people on this site have said similar things!!!

He lost his father and maybe he see's going back to league will mean less travel and more time with his family - the latter something a lot of people on this site can also align with.

I agree he hasn't been in the bestest of form recently, but is that a sign of his lack of dedication? I do not believe so, most of his team mates have been struggling the past 6 games while the team figures out where they are and I don't think that is a sign of their lack of dedication either!

vCash
    All i am trying to point out is that money was a major motivation to join Union, along with prestige etc, but over time the emphasis seems to have shifted away from the prestige, and become a lot more clouded, and some of the issues you point out may well have a lot to do with it...If he does return to league i won`t begrudge him, i just hope he does it in a way that doesn`t effect the team and its preperation for the world cup...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    re: money ... yeah that is true!! sadly...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast