Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Spanner To Stay!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Good that the SS is back. I'm really anxiously waiting a re-sign with Angus Scott and Gareth Hardy though. Losing two props would hurt pretty bad and the temptation of more money in Europe could cost us.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Agreed - the gossip or feeling is that both these lads are waiting to see if the ARU will step up - hoping that it dependent on the ARU rather than the Force component

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Senior Player
    vCash
    Absolutely fantastic news, hoorah for Spanner! Now here's hoping he makes the Wallaby 22 - he deserves to...

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Yen for Test recall sees Staniforth stay

Scott Staniforth has admitted the hope of a Wallabies World Cup berth finally outweighed a truckload of yen and persuaded him to stay with the Western Force for another three years.

Staniforth last week re-signed with the Force rather than take up a lucrative offer with Japanese side Kintetsu.

Preparing for the Force's Friday night's clash with the Cheetahs in Perth, the popular utility said having to effectively rule himself out of this year's World Cup in France - and possible future glory with the Force - was the clincher.

"If I decided to go I was probably leaving in about four weeks, so staying and having that World Cup goal was a big thing," said Staniforth, a Wallabies centre last year.

"Once you go there (Japan) you forfeit any Wallaby chance you have got.

"It was (very lucrative), and that makes you think - but after we weighed everything up Perth came out on top.

"The massive improvement we have had here was a big factor as well, because I don't want to look back in a couple of years and see them winning a championship and me not being a part of it."

Despite not talking to coach John Connolly, Staniforth is believed to be in with a good chance of a place in the Wallabies squad for the Autumn Tests.

Staniforth's form last year for the Force, when he scored nine tries, got him back into international contention.

And although his strike-rate this year has been reduced by a move from centre to wing and a knee injury, the loss through injury of Force colleague Cameron Shepherd and Chris Latham has reduced Connolly's immediate backline options.

The ligament tear suffered by Shepherd in last weekend's defeat to the Brumbies has also hit the Force's slim Super 14 semi-final hopes.

John Mitchell's side need two big wins in their last two home games, and other results to go their way, if they are force themselves into the top four.

And Staniforth said the team were very much aware the odds were now stacked against them after three successive losses on the road.

"This weekend is a massive game for us, but it is not in our hands," Staniforth said.

"I have been in this situation a fair few times, and it can start to affect your performance when you start thinking you have to score four tries.

"The players are aware of it, that we have got to win the next two games to have any chance and pick up some bonus points aswell.

"But we have been pretty good this year without really clicking as a backline, so I think this weekend is really big chance."

And after sorting out his new contract, Staniforth said he now had to rectify his try-scoring duck this year in the absence of seven-try Shepherd.

"Cameron has been scoring a few, so I wouldn't mind scoring a few. Hopefully I might be the one to stand up," Staniforth said.

http://www.rugbyheaven.smh.com.au/ar...180641682.html

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    THREE YEARS!!!
    You legend

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    THREE YEARS!!!
    You legend
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    THREE YEARS!!!
    You legend
    Legend?

Last edited by brokendown gunfighter; 24-04-07 at 19:33. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I think he was referring to me

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2