Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Super 16?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta
    Careful what you wish for is an old saying, but true. If you read Fraser Neill's comments he likes the idea of them pooling with The Reds, Kiwis & Vics.
    Meaning he'd like our mob to pool with SA, Japan & the Argies.
    creating a mini Super10

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash

hey

its a great idea and would work well but they have made a deal and the super 14 will stay as it is untill 2010 is what i no and have heard and then south africa are thinking of making a move to northern hemisphere comps. but that is a long way away anyway. yer so they probly wont chnage till 2010

vCash
    Could you have a Pacific Islanders team based in Melbourne and an Arg team based in SA rather than two Arg teams I cant see that cash strapped Union getting two teams together financially and putting together consistent top rugby (especially as getting there players back from europe would be hard).

I know the PI team didn't preform as well as might be expected recently but the pooled resources might get together a team worht playing against.

Giving you a S16 that would still be competitive, eventually bringiong in perhapes a Japanese team making it a Southern Hemisphere competition an s17 I guess.

With that many games what would the impact be on the Tri Nations and Bledisloe?

The guys can only play so much and something would have to give, dont forget that SA and NZ have a thriving Provincial Comp and the fans vote with bums on seats apparently (not a view I share) you an have too much Rugby.

I wouldn't pay big money to watch relegated B grade teams so what happens to relegated clubs paying big dollars for players abd getting poor sponsorship?

Relegation in Super Rugby sends a shiver up my spine - and I love seeing a Bledisloe.

Senior Player
    vCash
    My only problem with this proposal is that it allows Eastern Seaboard and New Zealand very little travel, while makes the Western Force do a 12 hour trip to South Africa or even worse Argentina.

Thus its a very 'eastern' centric basis of why the NSWRU want it up. As it reduces travel and the hardship of trying to win in South Africa (which the Waratahs in particular suffer with)

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    good response Nick ... I think you can have too much rugby, not so much for the supporter but definately for the player. Burning players out after subjecting them to 11 months out of 12 of a rugby schedule isn't what any one wants.

Even our cricketers struggle with the length of tours and push for less games and more rest periods. It is all very well for supporters to arrive at a game and cheer on their team but outside of the 80 minutes we don't do much else except talk about it. They continue to live breathe and train it and you are quite correct Nick, something has to give. Either players will leave union and retire, head to league or suffer an increase in injuries because their bodies aren't allowed to recover.

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan
    My only problem with this proposal is that it allows Eastern Seaboard and New Zealand very little travel, while makes the Western Force do a 12 hour trip to South Africa or even worse Argentina.

Thus its a very 'eastern' centric basis of why the NSWRU want it up. As it reduces travel and the hardship of trying to win in South Africa (which the Waratahs in particular suffer with)
    100%.. add to this we get our worst crowds for Saffa opposition and you can see why NSW would wholeheartedly endorse playing a comp with:

Reds
    Brumbies
    Tahs
    Blues
    Saders
    Chiefs
    Canes
    Highlanders

never more than 2 hours travel, and all big rating games with lots of bums on seats. Then the opportunity to make a finals series against some other southern hemisphere and it's a great proposition from where I'm sitting.

As for the saffas, I can see how they'd also jump on board - with 5 saffa teams, two argies (based in SA) and the Force they'd have just one away game in the comp, and only as far away as Perth.

The only team who'd be worse off is the Force, and to be honest I don't think you have enough sway at the ARU if the eastern states decided that they wanted to go for it..

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    it isn't the ARU it would be the SANZAR

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy
    it isn't the ARU it would be the SANZAR
    true, but do RugbyWA have a seat at SANZAR? I'm not sure but figured it would be representatives from the ARU, NZRU and SARU

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2