Thread: Reds need to step up their recruitment with players such as Angus Cottrell, Joe Toman

vCash

Reds need to step up their recruitment with players such as Angus Cottrell, Joe Toman

Found this article in the Rugby Sports area of News.com.au, (link posted below), looks like the Reds are looking West and trying to sign players that they overlooked.

HARD-EDGED Western Force flanker Angus Cottrell must be high on the potential shopping list of recruits to beef up the ailing Reds next season after slipping out of Brisbane almost unnoticed in late 2011.
    The point has been reached, actually it arrived a month ago, where Reds management have to soberly assess the deficiencies of the current squad and get aggressive with some big signing targets.
    Sure, sloppy execution and back-to-back errors playing under pressure have killed the Reds repeatedly but you are living under a rock if you believe that is all that needs fixing.
    The top class core at the Reds needs a few more turbos urgently.
    Signing a bullocking backrower, a tackle-smashing outside back and adding depth at lock with a bruising enforcer type are a good place to start.
    Cottrell looks to offload the ball while being tackled by Jurgen Visser.
    Cottrell looks to offload the ball while being tackled by Jurgen Visser. Source: Getty Images
    Unfortunately, ACT Brumbies winger Joe Tomane is tied to the Canberra club until the end of next year but a finisher of his ilk would be ideal.
    No.8 Jake Schatz and blindside flanker Ed Quirk are fine servants of the Reds but they have become increasingly similar in their output ... industrious, smart, excellent lineout options but too little footwork and tackle-breaking thrust as ball-runners.
    Cottrell’s dimensions of 105kg and 191cm put him in the same size range. The key discussion for Reds staff will be over whether he brings something extra to the table.
    Certainly, anyone who can stop NSW Waratahs hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau in his tracks as the catalyst for Nick Cummins’ 80m intercept try recently has big plusses. He ripped into the big Bulls pack with even more relish on the weekend.
    James Horwill on Queensland Reds’ loss to the Hurricanes 0:48
    Play video
    http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/e...n47vz9c5xuj3mc
    James Horwill discusses the Reds loss to the Hurricanes, criticising his sides one-on-one tackling.
    Intriguingly, it was Richard Graham, as the then-coach of the Force, who spied Cottrell playing for Wests in Brisbane club rugby in 2011 and enticed him to Perth.
    “Raw toughness and fantastic attitude” were what Graham sized up then. It might be that he looks at chasing him for a second time ... for the Reds.
    Cottrell’s father Nev Jnr played for Queensland as did his proud 86-year-old grandfather “Notchy”, the oldest living Wallaby captain, so the Brisbane link is powerful.
    Queensland Rugby Union chief executive Jim Carmichael was in the desolate Reds dressing room in Wellington immediately after the 35-21 loss in James Horwill’s 100th game last Saturday night.
    Reds coach Richard Graham has received the backing of QRU chief executive Jim Carmichael.
    Reds coach Richard Graham has received the backing of QRU chief executive Jim Carmichael. Source: News Corp Australia
    “I saw blokes who were passionate about what the Reds jersey means to them and they were in pain. They have high expectations of themselves and the character they show from here to respond will be the mark of them,” Carmichael said.
    “Richard Graham is the Reds long-term coach. He’s a teacher (of rugby) and the right man for the job.”
    That unwavering support shows that no one at the Reds is panicking. Players aren’t going to be sacked and hired willy-nilly either. An overdue win with some overdue polish is needed on all fronts.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/r...-1226897563371

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    If the money is right gus might be tempted to go back to QLD. He has strong ties there and Graham had a hand in bringing him across and would probably want him more now he is getting regular first team action.

resign him quick!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    The only players any other franchise will get a look at will the one's we don't want, which I expect will be few a far between. The current players have "created" the belief they now have and I doubt many would want to volunteer their positions. At least the recruiters have some positive fronts for keeping who they currently have and also attracting who they want. The ball is our court finally

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbasimplex View Post
    If the money is right gus might be tempted to go back to QLD.
    the missus said to me (after reading the article) "Why would Cottrell go? We're doing better than the Reds"

my reply...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCLE BOOG View Post
    the missus said to me (after reading the article) "Why would Cottrell go? We're doing better than the Reds"

my reply...

My answer, you have experienced Richard Graham as a coach, feel free to take that wheelbarrow of cash if you like.

But don't you want to play for a team that has a chance of winning the comp? Remember the playing roster hasn't changed a bit since last year, and really isn't that different than 2011.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Australian franchises outbidding each other for players gets my goat, but I'll be surprised if he goes to Graham's mob.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?