Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Grand Final Results.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post

Eg if you refereed one of the finals, would you have gladly stepped aside for a better qualified referee from elsewhere to be given your game?
    "if you refereed one of the finals" - CRUNCHING TACKLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it Oracle.

oh God that sound you just heard was the Mt Rushmore of egos being turned into a mound cat litter

I don't know if we'll ever see Marius Jonkers signalling "time on" for the start of the First Grade Championship Grand Final.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Ralto, I agree with your point about making a rule, but what would you say if RugbyWA considered it to be reasonable to say that getting three caps for the Force in the season was enough to qualify a player to play finals for whatever club team they chose would you be happy?

(just reading through posts I assume you won't)

I can't say I would call that the best situation, but there is definitely a need for some leniency with blokes who spend much of the season being managed by a team of medical professionals and might not have the chance to run out for their team.

Perhaps commitment to a local club needs to be measured by a different yardstick for professional players (ie coaching, attending junior registration days or even simply signaling intent at the beginning of the season)

I would take a nomination of club at the beginning of the season as a great step, that way if the player does turn up in a final, nobody can accuse RugbyWA of kowtowing to certain clubs

C'mon the

vCash
    If WA had a National Panel ref who was flying all over SANZAR refereeing super rugby, and then was available for the finals, I would expect them to get it.

They are the highest graded referee in the state, and so should get the highest graded game in the state.

Your comment about flying them in from sydney or Brisbane is flawed, that would be similar to WA clubs bringing in players from the Reds or Tahs to play finals rugby. Which we can all agree is not on.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Player
    vCash
    So there are better refs than WA ones

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    I am one of those stinkers that got a dispensation to play finals one year. however, i had played two games (i was FIFO and recovering form injury), and it was low grade (as low as it gets). But i would have been quite annoyed if i couldn't play, after being injured playing for the team.
    i can understand that not being able to play for the team after those circumstances would be super frustrating, but you also have to think of the guy you replaced. this is also a completely different situation to bringing in a guy in the 11th hour with no real ties to the club to play a highly competitive grade like prems. If it was clear about the 3 game ruling and there were no ways to abuse the system and it was fair then i think it makes it easier to take on the chin for the people who miss out. there just seems to be so much inconsistency with the dispensation ruling. if you haven't qualified, crack open a cold beer and cheer your mates on.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbyRef View Post
    If WA had a National Panel ref who was flying all over SANZAR refereeing super rugby, and then was available for the finals, I would expect them to get it.

They are the highest graded referee in the state, and so should get the highest graded game in the state.

Your comment about flying them in from sydney or Brisbane is flawed, that would be similar to WA clubs bringing in players from the Reds or Tahs to play finals rugby. Which we can all agree is not on.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I'm not sure you have understood the scenario I put to you.

The player situation is / was that the majority of Force players were not aligned or registered to a WA club during the season (some were aligned / registered with Sydney clubs) and then were registered 2-3 days before the final series (there is a suggestion that one of them was not even registered with the club he played for).

Whilst the Force players play for the WA based franchise there is a school of thought that that is strictly an employment situation and the RUPA Agreements allow them to continue having Sydney clubs as their nominated club. The Rugby WA website (player profiles) supports this.

The refereeing equivalent was to have up to half a dozen interstate referees who hadn't refereed in WA all season become members of the WA Refs Assoc. a few days before the final and then be selected to referee a number of the finals games in the place of referees that had officiated all season in Perth.

I think it is an interesting proposition and given that a number of referees had been outspoken on twf about the player situation I wondered how local refs would feel if they were placed in a similar situation to the clubs.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Another interesting thought. Is there anything in the rules that say Western Force players can only play 1st grade?

Given what has occurred during the finals series what would have stopped say Wanneroo 4th grade or Uni 4th grade getting dispensation for Hodgson or Cummins to play finals? Pretty sure neither have played club rugby all year so have not qualified at a level above so going by precedent RugbyWA would have to grant them dispensation would they not?

vCash
    Pretty sure Cummins played Shute Shield last weekend??

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Ralto, I agree with your point about making a rule, but what would you say if RugbyWA considered it to be reasonable to say that getting three caps for the Force in the season was enough to qualify a player to play finals for whatever club team they chose would you be happy?

(just reading through posts I assume you won't)
    To reiterate, what I would like is for Rugby WA to make a rule, and stick by it. I don't run the comp - Rugby WA does. If the rule is that its three matches for local guys , and none for Force players, then let it be so - make it clear so everyone understands, so that the rule/law that is being used can be referenced by anyone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbyRef View Post
    Posted via Mobile Device

Why not, as long as they were registered the week before - why is it different ?

vCash
    If RugbyWA has a rule stating that the Force players have to play 3 games then stick with it. Don't just ignore the rules you put down because it suits you

What were the players doing through the Lions tour when Super Rugby went into it's 3 week break? Pretty sure Foley told them not to play and a couple of posters on this site blew up deluxe about it

Ok the the Coach told them not to play but that still deosn't mean parachute them in for cut throat finals because the RugbyWA higher ups decide it's fine for them to ignore their own rules and allow Professional players to play despite them not having qualified

Quote Originally Posted by Ralto View Post
    To reiterate, what I would like is for Rugby WA to make a rule, and stick by it. I don't run the comp - Rugby WA does. If the rule is that its three matches for local guys , and none for Force players, then let it be so - make it clear so everyone understands, so that the rule/law that is being used can be referenced by anyone.
    I got back into playing this year and the amount of games to qualify for finals for a local is 7

vCash
    Can't argue with that!

How much of this is clubs exploiting loopholes that Rugby WA didn't realize exited?

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chertubler View Post
    So there are better refs than WA ones
    Why let everyone think you're an idiot when you can post on TWF and prove it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Why not, as long as they were registered the week before - why is it different ?
    Because you are all feeder clubs to the EWF. So what comes up the way, should be OK to go down too.

I am not debating the registration stance. All players should be registered with the club they play for.

I wonder if fans complained when Richie McCaw came back from his sabbatical and played two games of club rugby just before finals before returning to his super rugby club. I doubt it, I bet most were pleased to see him there.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Rookie
    vCash
    The NZ super 15 players and international players are very loyal to their original clubs and are welcome at any time.

We have a different rugby system and culture in Western Australia. Force players are paid by Rugby WA but their club loyalties are actually elsewhere.

"The refereeing equivalent was to have up to half a dozen interstate referees who hadn't refereed in WA all season become members of the WA Refs Assoc. a few days before the final and then be selected to referee a number of the finals games in the place of referees that had officiated all season in Perth.

I think it is an interesting proposition and given that a number of referees had been outspoken on twf about the player situation I wondered how local refs would feel if they were placed in a similar situation to the clubs."

Do any of the referees have a view on this?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast