Greg Growden
September 15, 2011

AUCKLAND: Now Sekope Kepu's Wallabies teammates know why he has the nickname ''Baritone''. The Test prop's exceptional singing skills emanate from the school playground.

It won't be surprising if, in a few months time when the Wallabies are asked what one of their most favourite memories of this World Cup campaign, they mention the day they accompanied Kepu to his old Auckland high school.

It was a special occasion for all involved, a celebration, a home coming for one of Wesley College's favoured sons. Kepu invited Tatafu Polota-Nau, Anthony and Saia Faingaa, Wycliff Palu and Salesi Ma'afu to accompany him to one of New Zealand's most famous rugby nurseries, which has also produced Jonah Lomu, Sitiveni Sivivatu, Stephen Donald and Doug Rollerson. And they were as astounded as the former pupil by the reception.

The trip to the school, 40 kilometres south of Auckland, was memorable in itself, especially when his old first XV coach, former Fijian international Waisake Sotutu, arrived at the Wallabies' hotel to pick up the players behind the wheel of an enormous $250,000 Hummer, painted in gold and equipped with a bar and lounge suites. As it was more than 14 metres long, the Hummer could take at least 15 players.

The reception at the other end was as memorable. The 250 pupils at the school, a mix of Maoris, Fijians, Tongans and Samoans, filled the school gymnasium, and as soon as they sighted the green and gold, the chanting and the majestic singing, rivalling anything from the Welsh Valleys, began.

After Kepu was greeted by his school teachers and told that he ''was back in his own family'', headmaster Ian Faulkner explained that the Wallabies front-rower was ''a role model to all of those who sit in front of you''. ''He is an example of someone who has used every opportunity and you now inspire everyone here,'' Faulkner said.

Refusing to forget his New Zealand roots, the headmaster ended with: ''We will offer you every support in this tournament, that is, up until the final.''

Then came more hymns and an all-in haka, with the students surrounding the players and going full tilt. The All Blacks would have been impressed. As the players left the gymnasium, Polota-Nau said he had just worked it all out.

''This was such a great spectacle, and now I understand where that 'Baritone' nickname comes from. If you ever hear Sekope belt out the Australian national anthem, it was just like what you heard today. Magnificent. He would put Pavarotti to shame, I reckon,'' Polota-Nau said.

Kepu, accompanied by his wife Anna and daughter Faith, was close to tears when he thanked the school for the reception.

''This school holds a special place in my heart,'' Kepu said. ''I was once in the students' shoes, leading the chants and the hakas and to see that it lives on is awesome. It was very emotional coming back here. It revived the memories of growing up here.

''When I first came here as a boarder, I remember lying in bed and thinking: 'Man, I've got another six years here.' Then things started to change. You eventually love it, and in the end, you don't want to leave the place.''

This was a reminder of how the World Cup brings so many communities together.

For Wesley College this tournament is six weeks where they can thrust their chest out as nine former students play for four countries - Australia, Fiji, Tonga and Samoa.

But none for the home nation, prompting feverish World Cup debate in the student dining room.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...#ixzz1XwMgDPo6