Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sonny Bill verdict: He held his own

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

Sonny Bill verdict: He held his own

Sonny Bill verdict: He held his own
    By MARC HINTON in Sydney - Rugbyheaven
    Last updated 02:38 07/06/2009

He may have been on the wrong side of a Wallaby walloping, but there was a resounding chorus echoing out of the Sydney Football Stadium last night that Sonny Bill Williams has a big future in his new code.

Williams' Barbarians were smashed 55-7 by an impressive first-up Wallabies performance at the SFS, with Robbie Deans' men running in eight tries to one as they dominated all areas of a one-sided encounter.

But in his first significant match on the big rugby stage, the 23-year-old Toulon-based New Zealander who turned his back on a glittering league career last July made a pretty decent impression. All things considered.

There's no doubting it was a tough old night on occasions for the former Doggies and Kiwis star, with a distinct lack of quality ball to run on to, some fairly attentive, rib-tickling Wallaby defence to contend with and a steady stream of attackers to test his defensive mettle.

But he came within an ace of making a dream start.........................
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/i...ional/2479721/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Not sure on that i think he needs a lot more game time behind him, and in my opinion should never have been invited in the first place. Far better players with years of experience that should have been given the opportunity ahead of him. This is what stinks with ex league players get their chances not because of their skill level in union but of who they use to be in a pass life

vCash
    i thought he did OK... He had some poor service and his 12 was average... SBW will get better...

vCash
    he did pretty well i thought
    targeted but good

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by prop53 View Post
    Not sure on that i think he needs a lot more game time behind him, and in my opinion should never have been invited in the first place. Far better players with years of experience that should have been given the opportunity ahead of him. This is what stinks with ex league players get their chances not because of their skill level in union but of who they use to be in a pass life
    Your anti mungo prejudice is showing again Prop.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    It's not really a valid argument I would have thought. It's not a rep side, it's the Barbarians - they invite who they want and they've had a history of playing rugby league converts since the game went professional.

vCash
    He held his own very nicely - Mortlock rarely left his side most of the game- honestly thought he was going to be all mouth and no trousers and was very pleasantly surprised with his skill and demeanour (he definitely got more than one hospital pass !) Good luck to him - we have done very nicely with Crossy so their're not all a waste of time.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    He's got talent, just needs another season to enhance it.

His defence was one of the best out there, watch the game he is always the third phase tackler after being the first phase tackler.

vCash
    i dont think anyone can say that he doesnt have potential.
    his development in union will be interesting to watch.

vCash
    Candice Falzon thinks he's hot enough to f--- in the toilets. Classy chick that one
    $BW went OK. It's hilarious that the "worlds" best and most feared minileague forward plays in the backs in rugby union. He was absolutely belted by Mortlock as well. $BW has all the skills and is hard. He'll make an excellent 13 with time.

Kangaroo Court is in session..........all rise

vCash
    I think he had a good game.. stood up well to the rib busters Insano delivered... and had some silky inside pops to team mates and his defensive work at 13 was good for a mungo.

My stand out for the night was Mortlock he was great, some great running lines, HUGE tackles and off the ball work as well... he really had a fire up his bum last night. Gits had a good tactical kicking game but as usual ran across field waaaay to often before offloading to Barnes, AAC, Mitch or Morto only for them to be hammered by the cover defence time and time again. He needs to have more faith in his 12 & 13 to break the line rather than trying to find the gaps himself...
    yes it worked once but he shouldve left it that.. didnt deserve MOM imho.

a fairly good game by the wallabies but they have a lot of work to do if they want to beat the AB's or SA this year

vCash
    zim, who did you think deserved MOM?

IMHO i think you are bang on the money about stirlo. i think his off the ball efforts should have earnt him MOM myself.

vCash
    Shows how hard he is by how he got up after some of the rib ticklers he was on the end of.

I hope he stays with union.

vCash
    'ken oath WRF.

he must have been a bit sore this morning

vCash
    Must have watched a different game to both Zim and Jono.

In my opinion put SBW instead of Mortlock in the Wallabies and I suspect the backline (wallabies) would have been far more superior.

Fine, a few decent tackles from Mortlock on SBW but in many cases SBW was on the receiving end of some suicide balls that hardly gave him a chance to beat the tackle. Didn't see too much of Mortlock and even then didn't think him any more effectivie with the ball than SBW (infact I thought Morts less effective considering the quality and quantity of ball the Wallabies had).

No doubt SBW was mostly a formidable centre, an unknown quality, strong on his feet and superb balls skills. As far as his defence goes I'm with WRF on that one and I think he's come some way since his first Rugby game (and the shoulder charges). I'm no mungo lover and never watched SBW in the other game but I now have a sense of the hype and understand the pain felt when he left the Bulldogs.

From what I saw, I rate him already and think he would quite easily step into 13 for the All Blacks. He looks keen and I can only hope he'll keep at it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast