Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Elsom snubs ARU

vCash

Elsom snubs ARU

Elsom snubs ARU
    Monday 06th April 2009

According to reports emanating from Australia, ARU bosses are furious after their attempts to bring star loose forward Rocky Elsom back from Ireland fell apart.

The Sun-Herald reported that Elsom has "all but confirmed" he will not be returning to Australia later this year to play for the Wallabies, nor in the Super 14 next year.

In 2008 Elsom joined Irish side Leinster for a one-year sabbatical after being given an early release from his ARU contract last year on "compassionate grounds" - believed to be related to financial problems caused by a property deal that went pear-shaped.

Elsom, who will play for the Barbarians against Australia in June, never signed a contract obliging him to return home, apparently the result of an ARU administrative oversight.

For former Waratahs is believed to be earning double what he was in Australia and has little intention of taking a pay-cut.

"Rocky was released on compassionate grounds and was committed to coming back to Australia this June to play for the Wallabies and was released on that basis," a source told The Sun-Herald.

"He gave his word that he was going to come back but nothing was actually signed. It was a massive oversight. He was released on a promise.

"Rocky's a pretty complicated bloke and he dragged out negotiations for so long that it [the contract signing] was overlooked. The ARU aren't happy and understandably so, but it's all worked out well for Rocky Elsom. Who's to blame him for taking the massive cash on offer?"

The 27-year-old is the target of a number of big-money offers in Europe, and his decision to play for the Barbarians is perhaps the biggest indicator of his intentions.

"The understanding of the agreement was that he was meant to be back playing for the Wallabies in June against the Barbarians, so with that in mind, I can't see him coming back anytime soon," the source said.

"He is already on big money over there and he's been such a hit that he's been offered even more to stay, I'd say. And I understand there are no shortage of clubs in Wales, England, France, Japan and elsewhere, who are in the market for his signature. He's a bloody good rugby player and he has a lot of opportunities to consider.

"They love him over there and he's very close to coach Michael Cheika. I think it's pretty safe to assume he won't be returning to Australia for a while longer, and that wasn't the basis on which the ARU agreed to release him. They're not happy."

For all their crying-foul, the ARU are reportedly doing little to help the Waratahs retain another stars. While full-back Sam Norton-Knight will continue his career with Cardiff Blues in Wales, Phil Waugh looks set to join Elsom after the ARU has officially refused to beef up the limited offer for the 'Tahs.

http://www.planetrugby.com/Story/0,,...USS_01DBC.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Glad to see the ARU have finally grown some stones and are playing 'Tahs what they're worth.

C'mon the

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Did this monumental stuff up occur under the stewardship of St Jon the Omniscient?" For shame.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    True stones would be at least a private if not public, "Come back under our terms, or don't bother coming back at all."

Without very strong leadership right at this point in time you are seeing the future of Australian Rugby unravel folks.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    The ARU almost have to be resigned to the fact they will continue to lose players overseas for the next 18 months until the start of 2011. The test will come as to see who are committed to leave the bigger money overseas to play for the wallabies in the 2011 RWC and also be selected and available for the Lions tour in 2013.

vCash
    "Rocky was released on compassionate grounds and was committed to coming back to Australia this June to play for the Wallabies and was released on that basis," a source told The Sun-Herald.

Heard recently that Rockys compassionate grounds were due to his financial loss in a development deal. No wonder Giteau appealed to the ARU to have his contract reviewed also and see if he could be given comparable leeway for his 2009 season contact.

Its quiet common that these sportsmen get themselves stitched up with poor financial deals... Cricketer Simmons has lost great amounts...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post

Heard recently that Rockys compassionate grounds were due to his financial loss in a development deal. No wonder Giteau appealed to the ARU to have his contract reviewed also and see if he could be given comparable leeway for his 2009 season contact.

Its quiet common that these sportsmen get themselves stitched up with poor financial deals... Cricketer Simmons has lost great amounts...
    Wasn't the source of the 'compassion' quoted in the article?

The deal that Rocky got stitched up on (according to the article) was a property development, not a sponsorship.....nice try but!

I guess Giteau couldn't renege on his contract because the two cases had absolutely nothing in common!

C'mon the

vCash
    Could be good news for Leinster though - they love him over there - Ever 2nd week he gets MOM

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Cricketer Simmons has lost great amounts...
    the West Indian Cricketer Phil Simmons retired years ago

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Well, since he retired he has lost his wage.....

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Well, since he retired he has lost his wage.....
    I think muddy meant Andrew Symmonds.

But when are players going to take their own responsibily for failed deals?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I realise that

Never...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    well he hasn't retired yet and still has his Cricket Australia retainer which is no loose change. He lost some money on a real estate development which went bust I think

Cricket is different though with players being able to play in Australia and then overseas during the Aussie winter when not selected for Australia

Never...
    which is a shame

but getting back to the topic, if the ARU didn't have him sign a sheet of paper when they let him go stating that he would come back after one year they are idiots.

Maybe some alarm bells should have gone off at ARU headquarters when the contract he signed was for 1 year with the option of another?

Last edited by jargan83; 07-04-09 at 12:18.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Sorry, that was shorthand, I meant, "I realise that but was playing along with your joke with the play on names."
    Sorry, I'll try not to confuse you again.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Sorry, that was shorthand, I meant, "I realise that but was playing along with your joke with the play on names."
    Sorry, I'll try not to confuse you again.
    no confusion, I doubt muddy would have gotten it

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast