Thread: Cooper aims to bring down mentor Giteau

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Cooper aims to bring down mentor Giteau

Matt Giteau's skills seem limitless and Quade Cooper wants to add another to the Wallabies playmaker's CV - by lowering his colours on Friday night.

In a classic master versus apprentice battle, Cooper aims to highlight how good a mentor Giteau was to him on Australia's spring tour by leading Queensland to a crucial Super 14 victory over the Western Force.

The 20-year-old Reds five-eighth was a surprise selection for the six-week tour of Hong Kong and Europe but finished as one of the major success stories after soaking up all the advice he could from Giteau.

"Anything he had to offer I took on board," Cooper told AAP. "I was just a big sponge on tour.

"I've learned a lot off him over the past six months with the Wallabies and take some of those pointers out on the field.

"You always want to test yourself against the best and Gitsy is obviously the best player in that position in rugby today.

"It will be interesting and a really good battle, I'm really looking forward to it."
    Giteau's influence on Cooper has easily been noticeable in 2009 with the talented young gun smoothing the scatty edges off his exciting game and showing far more nous in controlling the Reds' play.

"Just watching games he's played and being around him has been awesome help," said the three-Test rookie.

"Some of those things I've taken on board this year and try and control the game a lot better and how he dictates play.

"It's also all the little things he does so well that I've tried to put into my game."
    Cooper was among a number of Reds who struggled in their 50-26 thumping by the Chiefs but he expects to be far better prepared to play the Force after overcoming a knee problem.

The wayward, "silly" kicking by Cooper and teammates served prime attacking opportunities on a plate to the Chiefs dangerous back three and they're determined to learn their lessons at Subiaco Oval.

The Force will again be without Cameron Shepherd (ankle) but fellow winger Nick Cummins is expected to overcome a hamstring injury and young lock Sam Wykes is set to return from a shoulder reconstruction.

Queensland have ruled out prop Greg Holmes (shoulder) for another week but believe halfback Ben Lucas (ribs) will be fit to play.

The teams' three previous meetings (2-1 to the Reds) have been grudge matches due to the Force's pillaging of Queensland's stocks in 2005 but the tide may be turning.

Wallabies fullback-winger Drew Mitchell is seriously considering a move back to the Reds wile fellow off-contract star Richard Brown, to return at No.8 this week, is also in their sights.

© 2009 AAP

http://news.rugbyheaven.com.au/break...0330-9gvr.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah, good luck with that Coops, not on last weeks skill set you won't.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    So will it be Giteau and JOC vs Cooper and Barnes?
    ... I think this will be a great match...

vCash
    It will be won and lost up front. Who-ever gets to the breakdown first will win the game If Brown Dog plays and we have Pocock to back him up we are in with a chance

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper
    "I was just a big sponge"
    !!

Quote Originally Posted by SMH
    The Force will again be without Cameron Shepherd (ankle) but fellow winger Nick Cummins is expected to overcome a hamstring injury and young lock Sam Wykes is set to return from a shoulder reconstruction.
    Crap-bottom! Cam, come on! Fix your self. Great that Wykes is back maybe he'll start at 6? Glad Nick's OK again

Quote Originally Posted by SMH
    Wallabies fullback-winger Drew Mitchell is seriously considering a move back to the Reds wile fellow off-contract star Richard Brown, to return at No.8 this week, is also in their sights.
    Is not is not is NOT!

Erm, good luck with that Cooper. I think you'll need it!

PB you are so right and I think our loosies will have the edge - reckon we should honestly truly really really really take this game five points on the board. And afterwards Drew can announce he's re-signing with the force

Last edited by robyn <3; 30-03-09 at 18:35.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    When Drew goes to the Tahs Robyn, hope you stay with us at TWF and not join that shower of shite site......gtt?

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    The QLD backrow is pretty good and they have depth on the bench. No advantage here. I'm not sure who will be starting on the QLD wings but I doubt they will have the two starting wingers from last week. Too much inexperience. I think the Rockhampton flier looks like a good prospect. He was great on debut. The Chiefs backs made a mess of the inexperienced reds backs but the Force won't pose the same threat. The ball will die with Cross who doesn't seem to have a fend or any offloading skills. He trucks it up and dies with it. Hopefully they'll have him running decoys all night for players with more speed, and skill. Cross has been ordinary this season. Digby won the trial game on his own. Hopefully he'll be closely marked.

The Force pack have to take the ball over the advantage line and recycle the ball quickly. They are too happy to die with the ball and take an age to recycle it. It's painful to watch at times. A bit of pick and drive and offloading in tackles to runners would be nice.

If QLD bring their A game they will be worthy adversaries

Great to see Cooper talking himself up. He can be BAD....VERY BAD

Controversy corner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Hydrangea View Post
    When Drew goes to the Tahs Robyn, hope you stay with us at TWF and not join that shower of shite site......gtt?
    Not a chance in hell!! You guys are stuck with me ...If you'll let me stay Blue and Gold for me always regardless of where Mr Drew Mitchell plays.

Anyway, you don't have to worry bout it Drew won't leave

I hope he's bad. Players that talk it up pre-game usually end up playing like crap.. Specially these force-reds games. Keep it up Cooper

Last edited by robyn <3; 30-03-09 at 19:24.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Rookie
    vCash
    Should be a cracker and what will happen if Cooper wipes Gits backside, I hope not, but that could open up a whole new can of worms both here and for the Deans. At least Cooper has been fairly consistent, playing good steady rugby, yeah he's had one bad game but who has been more consistent this season, that is the question...