Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: England apologise to Wallabies

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Referees can be booed as can foul play but its a bit hypo-bloody-critical of English people booing someone else for kicking penalties.
    Agree. Don't like booing the kickers.

It's not a question of the kicker HingTFU, it's a question of the spectators behaving themselves and showing a little respect.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    I never said it was alright to boo the ref.
    I think boo-ing is an unsportsmanlike behaviour. And it is openly being silenced out from any forms of club rugby as well.
    Rugby is a gentleman's game. Respect to the English for apologising, as I could never see Australia doing the same.
    If you watch a Magners League game or a Guiness Cup game live, you'll realise the whole stadium goes absolutely silent when a kick is taken, even by the visiting team.
    If you want to show some passion with your team, do it by cheering them on and getting excited when your team makes a break or scores a try. Jeering needs to be stamped out from any sport, especially rugby.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    No need for England to apologise

By Darren Walton
    November 19, 2008 MATT Giteau was taken aback to learn that England's rugby chief had sent an apology to Australia's high commissioner in London after he and Australia captain Stirling Mortlock were booed and jeered at Twickenham.

RFU president Brian Williams wrote to high commissioner John Dauth apologising for the "bad manners" shown by England fans towards the Wallabies goal-kickers during last Saturday's Test, which Australia won 28-14.

Despite England fans doing their best to put Giteau off, the sharp-shooting five-eighth slotted a record six penalties and a conversion from eight attempts, while Mortlock also nailed a crucial penalty from close to half-way.

Giteau said on Tuesday he had no idea an apology had been issued by the Poms, nor did he think one was necessary.

"It's pretty common.

"I think whenever you play at most stadiums, you generally boo the opposition," he said as the Wallabies prepared to take on France this Saturday in Paris.

"When you're kicking, you try to zone as many things as you can out.

"It wasn't something that I took personally.

"(But) I suppose it gives you a little bit more satisfaction when you do kick the goals."

Giteau, enjoying career-best form with the boot, said he'd be happy for crowds to continue jeering him if it helped him maintain his amazing strike rate this season.

The 26-year-old has landed 50 shots from 58 attempts in 2008, including 16 straight at one point, at a conversion rate of 86 per cent.

"I feel as though I'm striking the ball better and more consistently. That's the biggest thing," Giteau said.

"There's been times where I may have kicked well one week and the next week been a little bit inconsistent.

"This year, in particular, I've been really pleased with how consistent I've been."

Giteau said he hadn't altered his style this year and was merely practising what former Wallabies kicking coach and good friend Ben Perkins had preached during his stint with the national team.

"Rhythm and authority are the two things Ben taught me," he said.

"Things don't change a real lot. I think can get complicated at times. But it doesn't need to be.

"It's just being consistent and trusting your run-up. I suppose if you do miss a kick, it's very easy very to fall into a trap and change something straight away.

"But I think this year I've tried to focus on the same thing each kick and so far it's worked for me."

AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23217,00.html

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    That acceptance is either a reflection on Australian fans or on Giteau himself...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Bit of both I'd think Fulv.
    And the reason I argue by being dead silent at Subiaco would have greater impact, the top kickers are all used to the noise.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    If you watch a Magners League game or a Guiness Cup game live, you'll realise the whole stadium goes absolutely silent when a kick is taken, even by the visiting team.
    Obviously those fans dont take that same ethos into international games....

Rugby is a gentleman's game.
    I was wondering when that old dog was coming out of the bag....

I have seen the light.. From now on I'll take me scones and jam and cup of tea to force games and applaud every kick (espically the oppositions) and bellow out a hearty "jolly good show young man" as he slots it over....

"The only trophy we won this day, was the blood and sweat we left on the pitch.... and it was enough"

"Rugby may have many problems, but the gravest is undoubtedly that of the persistence of summer."
    Chris Laidlaw, New Zealand rugby player and sportswriter. Mud in Your Eye: A Worm's Eye View of the Changing World of Rugby (I 973).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnoBarbarians View Post
    I really dont see a problem with it .... just like I will continue too sing "you fat bastard" as the opposition goalie takes his kick at glory games !!!
    Like any good Shedman would

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gotheforce View Post
    I've had friends come over from NZ, SA and England to watch the Super 14 and they were all appalled when we boo-ed the kickers.
    The ones from NZ and ZA should be even more appalled at their co-citizens behavior then. They not only boo but also rev up their chainsaws and call "go home you bunch of sheep rooters" over the PA. Now that's apalling!

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    And the reason I argue by being dead silent at Subiaco would have greater impact, the top kickers are all used to the noise.
    you could probably throw them off once or twice with that as they wonder wtf but in the end theyd practice heaps in quiet so its just removing another distraction.

im fine with the booing and the only time id potentially feel bad would be if it was some young rookie, but hey, hes gotta learn some time. players are used to it, expect it and dont take it personally. why not tell players to remove any gamesmanship from the game as well. and maybe make it all cheering has to be split equally between teams?
    people call it a gentlemans game but it really isnt. it 15 guys trying to smash through 15 other guys. theres nothing polite about that.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Ah, chivalry is dead ..... sigh

vCash
    I Boo everything,, from the soccer to the Rugby, the Tv, my wife and the dog...
    So, to the rest of you....Boo Hoo, dry your eyes.....

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gotheforce View Post
    I think boo-ing is an unsportsmanlike behaviour. And it is openly being silenced out from any forms of club rugby as well.
    How can you not boo foul play. If a player behaves like a shit you should make him feel like shit. Boo!

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by almac View Post
    I Boo everything,, from the soccer to the Rugby, the Tv, my wife and the dog...
    So, to the rest of you....Boo Hoo, dry your eyes.....
    Geez what did your wife do

vCash
    If you boo foul play, I couldnt give a rats ass.
    But when a team is taking a kick, and the crowd jeers, that's what I think should not be done.
    I'm sure the players are used to it, but its not about putting the players off or anything. It's about showing respect for the other team and the player because they have opted to go for a kick after your own team has been penalised for making a mistake.
    I have boo-ed before, but not at a kick. Last time I remember boo-ing was against the Blues at home, when the touch judge and referee made the dreadful decision of awarding a try even though it was obvious to the players and every single spectator that it was not a try.

vCash
    I've always wondered: why is it that for instance, 75,000 people can scream, kick, and yell at American Football games as the kicker nods to take the kick between the uprights; 50,000 at a baseball game make as much noise as is humanly possible(in a smaller yard) as the hitter prepares for a 95 MPH pitch (which allows about .010 second to decide- c' mon cricket fans back me up) or my personal favorite, in a cozy gym, kick, scream, holler AND show pictures of partially nude persons to a basketball player shooting free throws.. Yet not one person is allowed a sound during - 1) a golf swing, 2) a volleyball, or 3) a tennis serve... WHY?In one sport, noise is accepted and appreciated, yet in another an uncouth display of spite.. Interestingly enough, in the states, everyone is quiet during a place kick in rugby..

by and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth-george carlin:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast