New-look Wallabies need to flick All Blacks switch

Bret Harris | October 24, 2008

THE Wallabies face an overhaul for the Bledisloe Cup Test in Hong Kong next Saturday with a third of the starting line-up likely to change from the side that ran on to Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane five weeks ago.

Coach Robbie Deans will have to find replacements for blindside flanker Rocky Elsom (Leinster) and second-rower James Horwill (foot injury), who will not be on the six-week tour of the northern hemisphere.

Dean Mumm is likely to start at blindside flanker with second-rower Mark Chisholm making his first Test appearance this year.

The return of halfback Luke Burgess (knee) and inside centre Berrick Barnes (shoulder) will result in further changes.

Burgess will more than likely replace Sam Cordingley, while Barnes is set to resume at No12, moving captain Stirling Mortlock back to outside centre and Ryan Cross to the bench.

The lively Burgess was the Wallabies' first choice halfback before he injured his knee at training before the tour of South Africa, while Barnes was established at inside centre before hurting his shoulder in Durban.

There could be up to half a dozen changes in the first XV if winger Lote Tuqiri (knee) and number eight Wycliff Palu (knee) are ruled out of the All Blacks Test. Tuqiri and Palu will have fitness tests at training in Sydney on Sunday to determine whether they make the tour.

If Tuqiri is ruled out, Drew Mitchell and Lachlan Turner will compete for the vacant wing spot, while Richard Brown would most likely replace Palu.

Palu said in Sydney yesterday he was confident of making the tour, but conceded he was "touch and go" to play against the All Blacks. "I just got it checked up again," Palu said. "The doctor reckons it's going well.

"I haven't done any change-of-direction running. It's still touch and go. I'll do some today and see how I pull up. I reckon I'll definitely be right for the rest of the tour if I miss the first game.

"I've been doing a lot of rehab stuff, just trying to get the strength back. My leg is feeling a bit skinny."

Palu said it would be disappointing to miss the All Blacks Test as the Wallabies were keen to atone for their 28-24 loss to New Zealand in Brisbane.

"Both teams will have a big supporter base in Hong Kong," Palu said. "It will be a pity if I do miss it, but whoever plays will do a good job."

Deans was confident Brown, who made an impressive debut off the bench against the All Blacks in Brisbane, would be ready to start in Hong Kong.

"Every one of these blokes will be ready if they get the call, I hope," Deans said.
"It was pretty evident at the time, the excitement of a bloke when he gets his first opportunity is enormous. I guess now the test for Brownie is to back up with that sort of enthusiasm because that's what's required every week."

Meanwhile, Deans claimed the All Blacks' preparation would be helped by the fact they have continued to play in the Air New Zealand Cup, which concludes tomorrow when Wellington plays Canterbury in the final.

Conversely, apart from a handful of players who played in the Sydney club grand final between Sydney University and Randwick, the Wallabies have been restricted to a series of four training camps for their preparation.

"They are match hardened, which will be one of our challenges," Deans said.
"It has been a bit of a juggling act the way we have prepared. You can't replicate match conditioning.

"It's a bit of a mindset shift in their position from a year ago (All Blacks' reconditioning program for the World Cup), but there's no doubt the best way to prepare the players is to play.

"That will be an advantage to them, depending on how well we prepare and how effectively we are able to get to the appropriate intensity levels."

The Wallabies had concentrated on physical conditioning in the first three camps, but are now preparing for the All Blacks.

"It will be less intense, to be honest," Deans said. "It will be more game related.
"We've got a Test match at the end of next week. It becomes more a rugby focus."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html