Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wallabies vs France - 2nd test player ratings

vCash
    Was looking forward to this Gagger..thanks. Like the Fools Gold rating Chook, a flat game I thought.

Alright, as always I'll only attempt to rate the backs and because it felt like a training run, its a conservative from me.

15 Adam Ashley-Cooper - Most definitely a 5. Did his job. I see some potential but wonder if he's a risk player. Think we need Drew Mitchell at 15 to spark freakishness from the position but doubt Deans will go with this. Gagger 5, Chook 5

14 Peter Hynes - A conservative 6 from me. A dependable winger but not classy. 7, 6

13 Stirling Mortlock (c) - Another 6-er. Solid and dependable as a good captain should be. 6, 5

12 Berrick Barnes - A 6 bordering on 7 (if possible). 7, 5
    11 Lachie Turner - A 4. Not as critical, perhaps I missed something. Not a huge effort considering his S14 season, perhaps a little thunderstruck by the occasion, will be lucky to get a spot again unless injuries manifest. 3, 4

10 Matt Giteau - An 8. Well played, looked for opportunities all over the field and found them. An isolated loose pass somewhere and a missed try-saving cover defense tackle are only blemishes I recall. Not a remarkable game in terms of opposition so an 8 is pretty reasonable. 9, 8

9 Luke Burgess - A 7 for Lukey. A better game than last week. Found Gits easy enough. Passes still abit slow (not the bullets of Sam Cordingley) but getting to their target and knows when to hang on and have a run. 8, 7

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Bloody hell, what do you have to do to get a 9 around here?

vCash
    Like you said Gagger, is this was a Tri Nations or World Cup or similar against a classy side, I would have given Gits a 9. In light of the French resistance, an 8 to Gits in my opinion is appropriate.

vCash
    15 Adam Ashley-Cooper - Was Mr nobody his only saving grace was he didn't F**k up bad enough to give away a try I went 5, 5 from Chook. gaggers score 5

14 Peter Hynes - Did OK, better than average, will be interesting to see him have a run against a decent, hard hitting defence, I'm going to agree with Chook and give him a 6 6 from Chook gaggers score 7

13 Stirling Mortlock (c) - For the captain of the this boy isn't showing enough right now, but he'll keep his spot. I'd have to say the combination thing with Crossy and Gits is starting to sound interesting with the continued run of fives coming from Stirlo. I call it a 5 5 from Chook gaggers score 6

12 Berrick Barnes, - Solid, not spectacular, but the kicking gives him the edge over anybody else...we're going to need him come the faster defences of the 3N.I split the difference and made it a 6 Chook went with a 5 gaggers score 7

11 Lachie Turner - One word....shite. Couldn't hold the ball or the man and seemed out of his depth pretty much all night. Hopefully he'll remember what a rugby ball looks like before taking the field again. I agree with Gagger 3 Chook was pretty generous, 4gaggers score. 3

10 Matt Giteau - Chook said Awesome. I agree, but he still needs to learn how to tackle! Funnily enough, I don't remember him being a speedbump at 12! I reckon the defence makes an outstanding game into an 8.Chook went with 8gaggers score 9

9 Chooks (and SweetFA's) own Lukey Burgess - Yeah, I'd agree that he's filling out nicely, still had some small stuffups, but pretty good all up!. it was a 7 not an 8. 7 from Chook gaggers score 8

8 Stephen Hoiles - Ordinary, he was dropped for a reason. 4 Chook went 5 gaggers score 5

7 Phil Waugh - The usual. 6 6 from Chook gaggers score 7

6 Rocky Elsom - I really though he should have popped Harinodorkey for messing up Horwill, that would've been worth a 6, but really he just went through the motions a bit. 5. Chook said 5 gaggers score 6

5 Dean Mumm - What is it with NSW forwards, he looked good until he needed to step up! 5. 5 from Chookgaggers score 5

4 James Horwill - Good game, funny in the fight and the try swan dive. Good value. I pissed myself Half a mark for finishing the game looking like Rocky! (I can give a half mark for that because it's not worth anything! 6 1/2 6 from Chookgaggers score 7

3 Al Baxter - Crap in the scrum but did look after the breakdown better than the others. as much as me pains it he was a 6 6 from Chookgaggers score 6

2 Stephen Moore - Did enough....that's all. 5 5 from Chook gaggers score 5

1 Benn Robinson - Benn Who? was he even on. I thought we played an underfed 12 year old at prop, at least that's what it looked like to me!. 4 5 from Chook gaggers score 4

Replacements:
    16 Adam Freier - Ordinary
    17 Ben Alexander - No improvement on what was there
    18 Hugh McMeniman - all the forwards just filled holes to this point
    19 George Smith - A bright spot which wasn't all that bright.
    20 Sam Cordingley - Good balls from the scrum, that's it
    21 Ryan Cross - the Tah connections called the double gifts. I call them a combination. He knows what Gits does and ended up in the right spot.....twice Man of the bench for me!.
    22 Cameron Shepherd - Poor Cam, he did what Two Dads couldn't only to break his leg and get ruled out for the season.....

Marking:
    10 - A legendary performance to go down in the history books
    9 - Man of the match worthy performance
    8 - Outstanding
    7 - Good game, great in parts
    6 - Solid performance
    5 - Average - ho hum
    4 - Below par
    3 - Had a bad game
    2 - Tell your story walking pal
    1 - A complete joke

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by prop53 View Post
    I think you all got Baxter right but he did have a good body position at the scrums which as been missing in his game.
    Here's a question for the Front rowers amongst us I noted with interest on Saturday night that our props were packing in with their feet set square. Now I must confess to not being very knowledgeable about the scrum but when Entering the tackle contest, coaching on both sides suggests that you should have a split step to enhance power and balance....My question, is this accepted wisdom when packing into a scrum at the highest level? should the Aussie props be using a split step to stop themselves from falling flat on their faces, or is something different once the scrums start pushing and the aussie props are just using good technique?

Quote Originally Posted by greenandgoldrugby View Post
    Bloody hell, what do you have to do to get a 9 around here?
    Not miss about 5 tackles would be on my card for a nine, Miss no tackles, and play the same attack as he did would be a 10 from me!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Not miss about 5 tackles would be on my card for a nine, Miss no tackles, and play the same attack as he did would be a 10 from me!
    And do it against the Kiwis for good measure.
    Alot of good performances here will be judged in the context of a lucklustre opposition and the intensity of the match that preceded it (NZ vs SA) in comparision.
    If a 10 is 'one for the history books', then almost by definition one has to not only play out of their skin, but do it in a game that people will long remember. I reckon Gits played absolutely marvellously Saturday night, but will people be talking about this game in 12 months time? Doubtful.

Last edited by Swee_82; 07-07-08 at 16:47.

vCash
    You can only front up against the opposition on the field with you.....Gits played magnificently despite it 'only being France'. He did miss some tackles though so that reduces significantly his ability to score 10/10 for his efforts.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Gigs, I know I'm talking club footy vs international but we square all the time. Again, might be talking crap but I reckon good bind (us), arse to grass, good hit and excellent grip (them) will keep you up. With a good grip the other prop should have to rip your arm off for you to dive.

vCash
    the front rowers still look dubious at best, and the tri-nations are just around the corner....

vCash

I remember 1 cover tackle he missed at the end, but not the other 4!! Worryingly though he is still tackling with his head.

Kick 8 from 8, set up 4 tries, kick well from hand and you don't get a MoM level score. Sheesh!

For those who thought I did Cross a disservice - I said he took Gits gifts well, meaning he finished them well. All thats left is to give him credit for Gits' passes which would ne a bit much.

Amen Slomo
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandgoldrugby View Post
    For those who thought I did Cross a disservice - I said he took Gits gifts well, meaning he finished them well. All thats left is to give him credit for Gits' passes which would ne a bit much.
    And the 30 metre run to the line for the first try? Hardly a gift.

vCash
    And the 2nd try was a STEAL!!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Gigs you are right about the split even more so at tight head, it gives you the chance at the second push should they be one. The idea of going in feet square is to give you more of an impact and keeping square on but everything as to be correct for this to work. Tight head should always bind first and his arm over (above) the loose head. Make sure you are square on by correct binding onto the hooker, hips level with body position and looking straight forward at your opposition. Get the advantage by getting your bind on first hold then your ready to push when(if)the call comes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by prop53 View Post
    Gigs you are right about the split even more so at tight head, it gives you the chance at the second push should they be one. The idea of going in feet square is to give you more of an impact and keeping square on but everything as to be correct for this to work. Tight head should always bind first and his arm over (above) the loose head. Make sure you are square on by correct binding onto the hooker, hips level with body position and looking straight forward at your opposition. Get the advantage by getting your bind on first hold then your ready to push when(if)the call comes.
    Can't claim much of the credit here. Matt Tink taught the U9s how to pack a front row in and he was pretty specific about the stance. I just wondered how the addition of a contest would change that!

C'mon the

vCash
    Can't claim much of the credit here. Matt Tink taught the U9s how to pack a front row in and he was pretty specific about the stance. I just wondered how the addition of a contest would change that!
    Even our Prems front row pack like that and I can assure you it's the best way to pack a front row I have ever seen!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2