Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: RugbyWA Chief Executive Hangs Up His Boots

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    A bit of a surprise but he seems to have done a bloody good job while he's been here. Good luck to him - he was a major "player" in the formative years.

And Mitch is a top bloke - he was at the TWF Player of the Year thing for Spanner & Gits - so I wish him well too.
    I'd be lying if I said I was suprised. O'Neill and Carroll were always going to apply the blow-torch and whether it was going to be by choice to avoid the hassle or simply being removed Peter days were numbered from the moment the Quokka issues put the icing on the cake. Its a real shame though because he did do so much and I doubt you could have ever done a better job as CEO.

Here is to hoping the long-term replacement has the dedication and resourcefulness to keep things going up.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    CEO quits in new Force woe

Rupert Guinness | January 8, 2008

WESTERN Force chief executive Peter O'Meara has resigned after three years at the helm of the controversy-riddled Super 14 franchise - starting another race for one of the top jobs in Australian rugby.

As soon as O'Meara announced his decision yesterday, speculation began as to who would take over the hot seat of West Australian rugby that has had to deal with a series of scandals since the Force came into being in 2005.

Rugby WA said the position would be filled in an acting capacity by Mitch Hardy, the union's general manager for community rugby and junior development. But a full-time replacement is not expected to be appointed soon.

In a two-page statement released yesterday, Rugby WA said: "The search for a replacement would begin over the next few weeks, with a decision more than likely some months away."

It remains to be seen who will raise their hand for the job that could be seen as a poisoned chalice in light of the off-field controversies that have marred an otherwise competitive start by the fledgling Super 14 club.

However, in the turbulent environment Australian rugby has found itself in in recent months, the position could be seen as a prime opportunity by ambitious up-and-coming administrators to turn around fortunes.

One person previously linked with a move to the Force is Tony Dempsey, chief executive of the Rugby Union Players Association, who applied for the same post at the Australian Rugby Union that went to John O'Neill.

However, Dempsey, on annual leave until January 21 and "fishing for flatheads" on the Central Coast, last night told the Herald he had not considered throwing his hat into the ring.

"It's news to me," said Dempsey of O'Meara's resignation from Rugby WA, which will take effect from January 18. "I haven't really considered it. I am pretty happy where I am at RUPA."

O'Meara, appointed as Rugby WA chief executive in March 2005, has had plenty of issues to deal with since moving to Perth, despite the Force proving itself as a team on the up rugby-wise with its seventh place last year.

He had to defend stories early last year in the Herald that outlined how more than $300,000 in secret payments breaching ARU protocol were made to Wallabies players dating back to the West Australian side's initial recruitment.

After being confronted by the ARU, the Force admitted their guilt and were fined $150,000.

There were also revelations that two players assaulted a former employee in a Sydney bar early last year, and of a report that $16,000 was paid to a South African man to enable halfback Matt Henjak to play Super 14 matches in South Africa before a civil claim and charges against him from an alleged nightclub incident were dropped.

Then came the "Quokka Shocker" affair, in which players Scott Fava and Richard Brown were fined a total of $16,000 for mistreating quokkas during a bonding camp on Rottnest Island.

O'Meara said he had decided to resign because he wanted to extend his contract, due to expire in March, for one more year, whereas Rugby WA wanted a three-year commitment.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bread View Post
    It was bound to happen, at least the folks down at SMH will be happy...I wonder who they will lock thier sights on now...
    Dunno, but it will not be anyone at Waratah Rugby. I'm gonna try to keep an eye on the SMH sites this year to see whether the ACT and QLD unions get as shabby treatment as RWA.

The Firepower/O'Meara vendetta seems to me a separate entity. There's some personal axe-grinding going on there somewhere I'd wager. Peter and his team have done an outstanding job for us here in WA and have our eternal gratitude. They also deserve to have all the positives highlighted but that was never gonna happen at the SMH.

I hope he finds his next challenge as rewarding.

vCash
    All the best Peter, thanks for the years.

On a side issue, I don't know how many watched Today Tonight last night. One minute they were talking about a new world pub crawl and the next, linked alcohol abuse with the Western Force.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    CEO quits in new Force woe

Rupert Guinness | January 8, 2008

WESTERN Force chief executive Peter O'Meara has resigned after three years at the helm of the controversy-riddled Super 14 franchise - starting another race for one of the top jobs in Australian rugby.
    Now THAT'S an SMH article!!!!!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    For this very reason, I do find it all a little strange that you would have CEO contractual negotiations coming up just prior to the new season.
    I would have thought May-June would have been a better time to coincide with the corporate calender and not disrupt the teams build up for the season?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    If he isnt going to be replaced for a few months,it would have been more prudent to keep him for the whole year,allowing plenty of time to find a replacement,unless the reasons given for the resignation weren't kosher?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Or at least for the season, agreed BG.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I think it may have been a case of "you either face the music with us long term otherwise we want a clean slate" then if other "past issues" arise at least that way they can say "that was how Peter did things, we've moved on"

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Moved on to...to who?
    Know what you are saying TIF, but a tad strange all the same.

Anyway, I'm keen for his legacy to be about the success that it was rather than about a few teething problems and discipline issues that were totally blown out of proportion due to Rugby politics.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Short and sweet from Aunty:

WA rugby chief resigns

Posted Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:32pm AEDT

The chief executive of Rugby WA, Peter O'Meara, has resigned from his position at the organisation.

O'Meara was eager to extend his contract but only for another year while the Rugby WA board wanted a longer commitment.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2