Thread: Conditioning programme to continue - Henry

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

Conditioning programme to continue - Henry

Conditioning programme to continue - Henry
    | Monday, 10 December 2007
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/4318801a1823.html

Reappointed All Blacks rugby coach Graham Henry says the controversial pre-World Cup reconditioning programme wasn't a mistake but holding it during the Super 14 was.

He said the All Blacks' programme made it difficult to fit in a conditioning period for the team in the World Cup year.

"Pre-season fitness to get ready for a season of rugby is what we're talking about here, that is not a mistake – that is essential for players to play top rugby," he told Radiosport today.

"Everybody in New Zealand gets that opportunity apart the All Blacks because of their programme.

"We admit that it was a mistake having it during the Super 14 because it caused so much disruption. But I think everybody would agree there needs to be a pre-season for professional sports people."

Henry said a conditioning programme would also be held for the 2008 All Blacks but it wouldn't be cutting through any competition.

He also said a dropped goal attempt to win the Rugby World Cup quarterfinal – that France won by two points to eliminate the All Blacks form the World Cup – was discussed and a message had been relayed to the team during the match.

But he said it was felt at the time the team should try to win the game through penalty points or a try as they had done under similar circumstances previously.

"Yes, we practised it (drop-goal) and the message went out but the team have been in that situation on a number of occasions in the last four years and won those games by putting pressure on the opposition – that was the first thought," Henry said.

"It wasn't about arrogance. (It's the) strategy we normally used. These guys are used to putting huge pressure on the opposition and winning through scoring points by penalties or scoring tries."

He described the quarterfinal as a "bizarre game" in which the All Blacks didn't have "the rub of the green or the bounce of the ball".

-NZPA

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Goodo, hopefully he will get the same result again too!
    Only this time he will take the whole Board down with him.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    The One-track Mind.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Not about arrogance, what a joke...He is as arrogant as they come..., and totally blameless of course...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Personally, I think the practice of sacking the coach after a failed WC campaign as they have done in the past has done NZ no favours. I'm sure Henry has learnt a few lessons along the way, such as mistakes with his reconditioning programs, that would make him better tuned in to what may be needed to make the next world cup campaign more successful.

I'm all for change and new visions, etc however I envisage, as everyone should, that installing Deans would not necessarily translate into a Webb Ellis Trophy. What happens if the ABs are knocked out of the quarters or semis..sack Deans and find another messiah?

I think the Board (or whoever reappointed Henry) made the right decision (maybe they've learnt from THEIR past mistakes re Mitchell) and decided to stick with the incumbent, who's record out of the World Cup, I might add, is still impressive.

All the best Headmaster..I hope I'll be in Kiwi-land in 2011 to see the ABs finally get No. 2.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post

All the best Headmaster..I hope I'll be in Kiwi-land in 2011 to see the ABs finally get No. 2.
    I don't think they'll settle for second AGAIN, they will want to be No1 in 2011

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    I don't think they'll settle for second AGAIN, they will want to be No1 in 2011
    I knew the last statement would trigger a comment or two

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Just saw the post.....its a given. Aint gonna happen.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing