Thread: Cordingley targets throne

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Cordingley targets throne

I dunno why but I just can't warm to Cordingley.
    Knuckles previously stated he would "help" George get the Captaincy record if at all possible.
    To do that George obviously needs to start, I would imagine that George will start and Mortlock will come off the bench to test his shoulder against Canada, possibly a half time swap.
    George ends on 60 Tests as Captain, Mortlock gets a half to test the shoulder and Cordingley gets a full half to sharpen his game.
    Honestly, it is so long since he has played that I dunno if he would even make the 22 in the Finals unless George or Gits is injured.

Cordingley targets throne

Rupert Guinness in Montpellier | September 22, 2007

SAM Cordingley may be regarded by most as the back-up to Wallabies halfback George Gregan, who will notch yet another milestone in Sunday's World Cup game against Fiji when he equals the Test captaincy record.

But as Gregan leads Australia at Montpellier for the 59th time to match Will Carling's record, Cordingley will be plotting his downfall as he sits on the bench. The 31-year-old, will also be hoping that, with the 15 to 20 minutes of game time he will get on Sunday, he can secure a fifth career start in the Wallabies' final pool game against Canada next week.

Cordingley last started a Test against England last year, and is driven by his long-held and publicly stated ambition of making the No.9 jersey Gregan has worn for so long his for keeps.

"It makes it difficult when you are not getting any time. It's a hard to prove a point," said Cordingley of his odds of displacing Gregan. "If injury came, there would be a possibility. But pending how well I play this game, it's a hard question."

Nevertheless, Cordingley still believes he would make a case worthy of strong consideration if he could make the best of his next two games - even if Gregan played as well against Japan as he did against Wales.

"What do the selectors do if I have a blinder in the next two games?" asks the Queensland Reds half. "Do they put me in a quarter-final at the expense of someone who hasn't played, but has played well in the first two games? It is a question the selectors have to answer."

Cordingley's presence in the World Cup is a feat in itself, considering his long struggle last year to overcome a lisfranc foot injury that twice came close to forcing him into retirement.

But throughout his rehabilitation and return to playing this year, he has always maintained that aiming for Gregan's slot as Australia's starting halfback was not as far-fetched as some believe.

Cordingley offers more than just his swift and direct passing and willingness to make sniping runs. He believes he would be a vital asset to the Wallabies' efforts in France thanks to his experience of having played there for Grenoble during the 2004-2005 season.

That came at the end of a three-year spell away from Australia, during which he spent two years playing for Swansea. "The bonus that I would have would be [when] playing against teams like France," Cordingley said.

"When I was here, I didn't follow the Super 12 or 14. All I was focused on was [the French] Top 14. You became a product of your environment. I know the French team very well. I know their players very well. If we meet them at some stage, perhaps the selectors might call on me."

Of course, Cordingley realises that his ambitions of playing a meaningful role in the latter stages of the tournament will be dashed should he fail to make an impact against the Fijians.

One of the dangers for bench players fighting for promotion to the starting side is to try and do too much too quickly. Therein lies the dilemma, considering bench players are there for their impact and, hence, are expected to leave their mark on a Test as quickly as possible.

"You have to measure it," Cordingley said. "You can't do so much that you are doing it at the expense of the team. [The best thing] is to ease into it. But if you only have 10 minutes, it's hard to do."

Saying that, Cordingley has every intention of proving it is possible.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I'm not actually convinced Cordingley is a good half back. I thought it was more about the fact that there is apparently no one else we can use as a back up. Even so, Greegs gives more to the game than his skills as a half back thus it is unlikely in my mind that Cordingley could ever compete

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    When George Gregan steps down at the end of the RWC surely Henjak will get a look in next year. At the age of 31 Cordingly cant be the long time solution?? Can he?? :s

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83
    When George Gregan steps down at the end of the RWC surely Henjak will get a look in next year. At the age of 31 Cordingly cant be the long time solution?? Can he?? :s
    My sauces say that is the master plan. The ARC, the captaincy and the next super 14 are Henjak's tests to see if he's grown up. Actually, this was in the back of selectors minds when Gits moved to the Force. There is hope that Henjak/Gits will be the new Greegs/Bernie though Berrick is adding a new dimension to that. If Henjak keeps performing as he has been in ARC, throughout super 14 then he should def be selected. He's actually a damn good half back...just with a slight attitude problem and a tendency to choke in big matches...but i think he's come a very long way in the last year or so and i think you have gits to thank for that.

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    go the yak

vCash

Waugh likely to lose split decision

Waugh likely to lose split decision

From Wayne Smith in Montpellier, France
    September 28, 2007

BACK-UP Australia halfback Sam Cordingley has emerged as the possible trigger of a chain reaction that could radically alter the Wallabies' tactical approach to the knockout stages of the Rugby World Cup and leave vice-captain Phil Waugh stranded outside the 22.

Inside centre Scott Staniforth has meanwhile been ruled out of the Wallabies' final pool match, against Canada in Bordeaux tomorrow night, forcing a backline reshuffle.

Chris Latham, who cheekily announced that he intended taking coach John Connolly out for a coffee to talk him into giving him an extra run this weekend, has belatedly been granted his wish, coming into the starting XV in his customary full back position.

That has initiated a game of musical chairs, with originally selected full back, Cameron Shepherd, bumped to the right wing, Lote Tuqiri moving to outside centre and Adam Ashley-Cooper finding himself in the fourth position of his 10-Test career, inside centre.

In the wake of Steve Larkham's knee injury setback, serious thought is being given by the Wallabies coaching staff to abandon the radical 5-2 split on the bench and revert to a more orthodox allocation of four forwards and three backs.

The last thing the Wallabies backline needs after the loss of Larkham is more upheaval, and the growing feeling is that they will be best served by leaving Matt Giteau at inside centre - a reassuring figure for new five-eighth Berrick Barnes - rather than switching him to halfback should George Gregan be injured.

Giteau's versatility in being able to play halfback and five-eighth makes the 5-2 split possible, but back-ups for the two halves spots must be on the bench if he is to be regarded as a permanent fixture at No12.

Everything depends on Cordingley, who has not started a Test since the Fiji match in Perth in June, seizing his chance against Canada.

"This is a huge game for Cordingley," Wallabies coach John Connolly said yesterday. "If he tears the house down, moving to a 4-3 split will be discussed at length."

Backline selections rarely affect the pack, but there will be one less reserve forward selected if Cordingley and makeshift five-eighth Julian Huxley are both added to the bench for the quarter-final.

After the two front-row positions are allocated, probably to hooker Adam Freier and prop Al Baxter, and the selectors toss their usual coin to decide whether Hugh McMeniman or Mark Chisholm gets to cover the second row and blindside flanker, then the choice yet again rests between Stephen Hoiles and Waugh for the last seat on substitutes row.

As unfair as it might seem not to have a player of Waugh's calibre suited up for the knockout rounds, he looks most likely to miss out.

If Cordingley's hour has arrived, it certainly is not before time.
    A year ago, his Super 14 form for Queensland was so impressive that Gregan seemed likely to have to surrender his Test position.

Then Cordingley was struck down with a lizfranc injury, the foot injury that ended Tim Horan's career, and the past 15 months has been a long, hard climb back to the summit for him.

He appears to be almost at the peak of his form. Against Fiji, his pass was crisp and long, so impressive that Gregan's service looked tired and stressed by comparison.

His sniping from the ruck base introduces a new and welcome element to the Wallabies' attack.

The Australian

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83
    hopefuly your right.
    henjack improved shitloads over the 14's season. and he appears to be leading the spirit farily well.
    if he can keep his form in next years 14's season he has to at least be looked at.