Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: James O'Connor in contention for Wallabies Test spot

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

James O'Connor in contention for Wallabies Test spot

Bret Harris and Wayne Smith | May 12, 2009

Article from: The Australian

WALLABIES coach Robbie Deans is reconsidering sending teenage sensation James O'Connor to Japan next month for the under-20 World Cup and may instead include him in the 30-man national squad.

Deans has encouraged Australia's rising stars such as O'Connor, Kurtley Beale and Rob Horne to play in the World Cup to gain experience in international tournament-style competition.

But O'Connor, who toured Hong Kong and Europe with the Wallabies late last year, has been in such outstanding form for the Western Force in the Super 14 that Deans is now thinking he should include him in the squad for the June in-bound matches with the Barbarians, France and Italy.

O'Connor is also carrying a shoulder injury and he would have more time to recover if he stayed in Australia with the Wallabies rather than playing a major role with the under-20s in Japan.

"We will be looking at that over the next couple of weeks," Deans said at the launch of the Test ticket sales in Sydney yesterday. "He (O'Connor) has been going well."
    Deans said he would pull the 18-year-old O'Connor out of the trip to Japan only if the tyro was considered a starter for the Test team.

"There is no way we would contemplate that in order to have one of those blokes (under-20s) polish the bench or to sit from 22 to 30 or not make the squad at all because the experience they'd get is too valuable," Deans said.

It would not surprise to see O'Connor start at fullback for Australia against the Barbarians in Sydney on June 6.

After coming off the bench against Italy in Padua last November in his sole Test appearance, O'Connor started at fullback in the Wallabies' courageous win against the Barbarians at Wembley to finish the tour.

Deans indicated fullback was wide open, with none of the leading contenders - Adam Ashley-Cooper, Drew Mitchell and Lachie Turner - displaying the complete game for the position.

"Clearly, we have a number of players who are able to play fullback, but it is crying out for someone to make it their own," Deans said.

O'Connor could also secure a place on the bench with his ability to play five-eighth, inside centre and fullback.

There was unlikely to be a lot of new faces in the Wallabies squad, but some established players were in danger of missing out.

But one of those does not appear to be Wallabies captain and outside centre Stirling Mortlock, who had been the subject of criticism prior to his blockbusting display for the Brumbies against the Blues last Saturday.

Even though Deans stressed that no player was guaranteed selection, in all likelihood Mortlock will remain Wallabies captain and outside centre, at least for the in-bound Tests.

"Stirling has shown through Super rugby again that he is still a player who has a presence and an ability to impact on a game, as recently as last weekend," Deans said.

"His acts were the pivotal acts in the game that turned the momentum, but most importantly what was evident most of all was his desire. He still wants to make a difference as opposed to just make up the numbers. That's a critical quality with any player."

Deans was also impressed with rugby league convert Timana Tahu's recent form at outside centre for NSW.

"Timana has obviously really relished the opportunity he has had and he has obviously offered something to the Waratahs," Deans said. "He has been a point of difference for them as well."

While Deans was still not happy with the depth at halfback and tighthead, Waratahs prop Matt Dunning - who has missed the Super 14 with a snapped Achilles tendon - would not come into the reckoning for the first squad, even though he was expected to resume Sydney club football for Eastwood on Saturday.
    "He won't be considered until he has played," Deans said. "He will need to play a significant amount of rugby before he is contemplated for a Test match."

The Force's new Kiwi prop Tim Fairbrother would add depth to the frontrow stocks, but he would not be considered for Wallabies selection until he had played in Australia.
    Strategically, the Wallabies will continue to develop a game in which they "threaten the whole park", but there were qualities they needed to add to their game.
    One of the main issues from last year's Tri Nations tournament was the Wallabies' inability to close out games, particularly against the All Blacks.

"We are going to have to go the distance," Deans said. "We put ourselves in contention, close to getting some outcomes that we would have enjoyed, but ultimately came up short.

"Whether they be physical or mental doesn't really matter, we are going to have to be deserving for longer than we were last year.

"It's about ... being able to impose yourself for longer over your opponent."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    hes been playing soo well this season!
    really deserves a test spot!

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    I'd like to see him cut the RWC Under 20 opposition for a few weeks then join the Wallabies... He can leave a burning message on his international age peers… Dominate their minds now for future advantage…

vCash
    Good to hear the lad deserves a spot

vCash
    What has the world come to?!?! I agree with Muddy again.
    JO'C should play in the under 20 world cup first & play against blokes that he will face as a Wallaby in the future. Dominate them now so that a few years down the track they fear him and know exactly what he is capable of. JWC starts before Wallabies so there's no reason he can't do both.

Last edited by laura; 12-05-09 at 19:10. Reason: spelling

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    What has the world come to?!?! I agree with Muddy again.
    I wouldn't worry it likely wont last.... Laura.....

But look no reds cards... I have been pardoned?.... REDEMPTION

Again.... it wont last.... never does....

vCash
    If Robbie Deans picks him in the Wallabies squad and gives him game time he obviously thinks he is up to standard

Either way at least he is getting game time at a decent level

vCash
    JOC will get a run this season with the Wallabies... He should get a run at the U20s its only a few weeks...

vCash
    If he is good enough age does not come into it, he plays a mans game now so its no good hiding him behind 19yr olds. If that was the case he should not be playing Super 14s.

vCash
    JO'C has already shown he has the talent and the attitude, and he's not prepared to take any rubbish from the bigger and older S14 players. The only concern would be not to put him at risk of too many injuries too early in his career.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    i might be flying off the mark here. but deans has stated that he doesnt care where his wallabies play in S14 right?

while shep has had a pretty average season - injury wise; the matches he has played in he has been fantastic.

there has been speculation that he isnt playing fullback because his ankle is still a bit dodgy and wouldnt be able to handle the kicking required from a fullback.

but either way, why isnt he in the mix for fullback?
    going into 'what ifs' here. but if he hadnt had his totally shit run of injuries over the last couple of years, he would be a sure bet for fullback come wallabies time.
    he is better than any other fullback in australia when he is fit. i think he should be given the opportunity to show that he can still do it.
    if not. he has been a freaken damaging winger this year, give him 11!

either way, i'm biased and i want shep in wallaby gold - provided he is fit

vCash
    shame your in the wrong thread

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Shep is far and away the best option for Australia as a fullback. He finishes well, as evidenced by being among the top try scorers having only played a handful of games, he has a monster kick, is a capable goal kicker and has the size and speed to pressure defenses. The only thing that might work against him is that his foot may not be ready for the kind of pressure playing at fullback might put him under. That said if Deans doesn't at least give him a shot either on the wing or 15 if he is fit then I won't like Deans anymore

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    My two-penny's worth: Play JO'C in the Under-20 world cup. He gives Australia the best chance of winning which instills a winning mentality in the next generation of Australian rugby. When it finishes on 21st June, bring him back and give him a run-out against France (27th June). There's then 3 weeks with the squad before the first Tri-Nations game.

He gets game-time in an important international tournament and can then still play a part in the Tri-Nations.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast