Thread: Land not money may lure Hayman home

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Land not money may lure Hayman home

Land not money may lure Hayman home

By TOBY ROBSON - The Dominion Post | Thursday, 11 December 2008

Photosport

NEW DIRECTION: It looks as if there is substance to claims that former All Blacks prop Carl Hayman could be heading back to New Zealand from England with the Hurricanes certainly interested in his services via Taranaki.

World class prop Carl Hayman would have to take a pay cut to take his place in the Hurricanes front row next season, but it may be the lure of a farm rather than cash that draws the former All Black home from England.
    Hayman the Hurricane?

Hurricanes chief executive Greg Peters said yesterday he would know "within a week" whether the franchise would make a formal approach to Hayman about a move to Taranaki next season.

"I don't think you can say they are solid [talks] because we are not privy to his contract with Newcastle," Peters said.

"We can't enter into any formal negotiation with him or his agent while he's under contract, so it's very preliminary talks at this stage."

Hayman's contract with Newcastle runs till the end of 2010, but the indications are that the 29-year-old's agent, Lou Thompson, is working toward an out clause.

"We would expect his agent to confirm back to us whether there is a real possibility, and the contractual position he is under at Newcastle, within a week," Peters said.

The Hurricanes' initial approach to Thompson was informal and would remain that way till the contractual situation was made clear, he said.

"It was in a social setting where we caught up on a number of matters and I asked the question at that time.

"We understood from a very reliable source that Carl was interested in a return and we are interested in helping facilitate that."

Hayman headed to Newcastle last year on a deal thought to be worth 333,000 ($915,000) a year, but is reportedly not receiving the full sum because the club's leading sponsor, Northern Rock, is in financial trouble.

The Hurricanes would not be able to match Hayman's salary, but Peters was confident that, with the help of Taranaki and the New Zealand Rugby Union, an attractive package could be put together.

"We know Taranaki was part of a bid to keep him before he went to Newcastle and he considered that at the time. He has strong links to Taranaki ...

"He's a world-class player, so we would pay him the combination of what Taranaki plus the Hurricanes offer would be. It would be equivalent to anyone else we have on the books now, but the NZRU would have to be involved too.

"It wouldn't be equivalent to what he is getting now at Newcastle, but I think the attraction here is if he comes back to New Zealand it's a lifestyle decision, it's not a money decision."

Before the 2007 World Cup, the NZRU reportedly offered Hayman a deal to help buy a farm and already there are hints that a similar proposal will be considered.

"Farming is a big part of his life and could be a big factor to him coming back to New Zealand," Peters said.

An NZRU spokesman said it was "following the rumours", but would not comment.
    Hurricanes fans will be salivating at the prospects of a front row including Hayman, Neemia Tialata and hooker Andrew Hore, plus further options of John Schwalger and Jacob Ellison.

http://www.rugbyheaven.co.nz/4789513a22363.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The Question must be asked!!

Did Hayman or his agent conduct due diligence into Northern Rock?

Did Newcastle or any of its Board and/or CEO introduce Hayman to Northern Rock?

A bank sells money , right? ANd this bank doesn't have any money and therefore has no product. It must have been a SCAM from the outset.

Sack them ALL, the lot of them.

Burgs? Have you got a bit of farm to spare?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'd be more than happy to shave off a few thousand acres if he'll come to Perth!!!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I'd be more than happy to shave off a few thousand acres if he'll come to Perth!!!
    of your finest scrub
    1 cattle beast per thousand acres?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    shhhhhh!!!

(nice bit of translating to Kiwi there though, "cattle beast" )

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah, I might bend on my opposition to non-Aus players if he felt like taking up roo farming (sorry, I know, tautology)

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Hayman moving back could be potentially brilliant for the Force. The Hurricanes hold three solid props in Schwalger, Fairbrother and Tialata. With Hayman added to that its highly possible that Fairbrother, who I believe comes off contract next year, could link up with the Force due to lack of game time. He can play both sides of the scrum and is elligible for the Wallabies from Melbourne birth (I think).

I know Johnny Mitchell was sounding him out a while back and a quiet word from Robbie D could see him as just the TH we need.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.