Thread: Mark Gerrard signs with Japan rugby club

vCash

Post Mark Gerrard signs with Japan rugby club

April 24, 2009 - 8:14AM

Former Wallabies fullback Mark Gerrard has been granted a release by the Brumbies and has signed with a Japanese club.

Gerrard requested the release from the third year of his contract with the Brumbies and Australian Rugby Union so he could take up an offer with Japanese second division club, NTT Communications.

The 26-year-old cited the desire for his young family to experience a foreign culture as the reason behind seeking the release.

Gerrard has earned 79 Super rugby caps and is third on the Brumbies list of all-time point scorers with 306 points, behind Stirling Mortlock (963) and Joe Roff (590).

He made his Super debut with the Waratahs in 2002 and moved to the Brumbies the following year.

He helped the Brumbies to their Super 12 title in 2004 with a three-try haul against the Crusaders in the final.

Gerrard said after nine seasons of Super rugby he was ready for a new challenge.

"My family and I have loved our time at the Brumbies and in Canberra and we'll always consider ourselves members of the Brumbies family," Gerrard said.

"[My wife] Larisa and I have always wanted to experience a different culture and our children are at a good age for us to do that now.

"I definitely wouldn't rule out the possibility of returning to play in Australia and pulling on the Brumbies strip again."

http://news.rugbyheaven.com.au/break...0424-ah4v.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Geez why did the Brumbies push him out?

It's a shame he's been rejected from the "best rugby programme in the universe"

C'mon the

vCash
    he has been in the super14 for 9 years? and he is only 26, dam i didnt think it had been that long

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    7 years - "Super debut with the Waratahs in 2002"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Geez why did the Brumbies push him out?
    I'm not liking the most obvious answer to that.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I'm not liking the most obvious answer to that.
    GiGs need to think about it a little... But Mark wanted a chance to do something else with his family before they are at school age... I wouldn't be surprised if he came back in a few years... but leaving gives Deans a new fullback to groom for next year... in JOC...

---------- Post added at 07:53 ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:20 ----------

Mark Gerrard to link with Japanese club NTT after Brumbies, ARU release

FORMER Wallabies fullback Mark Gerrard has been granted a release by the Brumbies and has signed with a Japanese club.

Gerrard requested the release from the third year of his contract with the Brumbies and Australian Rugby Union so he could take up an offer with Japanese second division club, NTT Communications.

The 26-year-old cited the desire for his young family to experience a foreign culture as the reason behind seeking the release.

Gerrard has earned 79 Super rugby caps and is third on the Brumbies list of all-time point scorers with 306 points, behind Stirling Mortlock (963) and Joe Roff (590).

He made his Super debut with the Waratahs in 2002 and moved to the Brumbies the following year.

He helped the Brumbies to their Super 12 title in 2004 with a three-try haul against the Crusaders in the final.

Gerrard said after nine seasons of Super rugby he was ready for a new challenge.

“My family and I have loved our time at the Brumbies and in Canberra and we'll always consider ourselves members of the Brumbies family,” Gerrard said.

“(My wife) Larisa and I have always wanted to experience a different culture and our children are at a good age for us to do that now.

“I definitely wouldn't rule out the possibility of returning to play in Australia and pulling on the Brumbies strip again.”

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015652,00.html

vCash
    It was more the rejection I was concerned about...sure he was slow, but he had a good boot...Cut off in his prime he was!

C'mon the

vCash
    but why would the player leave, when the brumbies are on the edge of greatness?......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    but why would the player leave, when the brumbies are on the edge of greatness?......
    ....... Answer family...

vCash
    Wonder if Drew would knew about this before he signed with the Tahs? Then the rumours about him following Gits could have been slighlty more believable
    I rate Gerrard and its a shame to see him go but his running game has slowed since I first watched him, his kicking though *sigh* a clone of his kicking and Mitchell's running game would make for a fantastic fullback...I miss Sheps at fullback.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    ....... Answer family...

dont they support the brumbies?.....

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    What is the state of the world where the top three rugby playing countries in the world don't have the money to retain players. How on Earth do the Japanese second division clubs have more money to pay for Gerrard than we do?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    ....... Answer family...
    Aren't they allowed to live in Canberra anymore then?