Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Force launch legal action in fight over Super Rugby future

vCash
    From the ARU Website

Bill was CEO of Appen Butler Hill (2010-2013), Chairman of Repucom International (2008-2010), President and CEO of NetRatings Inc (2001-2007) and Asia-Pacific Managing Director of ACNielsen.

Jeez..you'd think he would know a bit about managing expectations and dealing with shit like this, apparently not.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yungfen View Post
    Can anyone summarise Hansie's arguments?
    1. they admit a 5th team, knowing that it's unsustainable
    2. They institute the NRC - knowing that it's also unsustainable
    3. They go along with the Super 18 concept even though they are given two separate reports saying that it will be a disaster for Australian rugby
    4. Despite apparently "looking for an excuse" to revert to 4 teams, they don't do so during the S18 implementation process
    5. They trumpet the S18 as being a triumph for the ARU, in particular the negotiating skills of BP and state that it will be the saviour of Australian rugby
    6. The costs of implementing S18 almost chew up all of the increased broadcast revenue
    7. In July 2015 they get a private owner to take control of the Rebels, but seemingly retain extensive liabilities
    8. In Feb 2016 they effectively take over the Force and enter into a legally binding alliance with RWA
    9. Points 7 and 8 both seem to contain binding agreements for the Force and the Rebels to stay in Super rugby unitl 2020?
    10. They go to the London meeting publicly stating that the want to retain 5 teams
    11. They now say that they really went there with a proposal to cut one team and go to four
    12. After at least 8 months warning of a possible restructure they have no objective criteria on which to base the extinction of either the Force or the Rebels
    13. They announce a farcial 72 hour consultation period, but are forced to back track after RWA file a Supreme Court injunction
    14. This process could go on for "weeks or months"
    15. Still no objective criteria on which to base the decision announced.

This summary from a Gagr post does it well.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    #2. Im not so sure about.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahard View Post
    #2. Im not so sure about.
    No shame in that. The Chairman doesn't seem to have even thought about it.

The thing that really knocked me for 6 was that when questioned whether the board could be sure that the 4 franchises remaining would still need propping up financially, he also didn't seem over that and struggled to answer. Seems that will be OK though as long as it's not The Force. He wasn't pressed. Dunno whether that sort of questioning would be run in any litigation but it would be interesting if so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    For a bloke who ran the NAB he seemed very inept when questioned about those consequences. Not surprising after presiding over such a mess. How can they possibly be excused for their ineptitude and be allowed to say "I admit that was a mistake but we are steering the right course now". Do the right thing and fall on your swords you muppets.
    The moron sounded like one of those housing salesman trying to flog a house you don't want or need, honestly Nick, Hoiles, Mertehns and Kearney disbelieving looks just said it all. I think he actually thought he'd done a good sell! Maybe they should have used extracts from Hansies interview on the show.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    The moron sounded like one of those housing salesman trying to flog a house you don't want or need, honestly Nick, Hoiles, Mertehns and Kearney disbelieving looks just said it all. I think he actually thought he'd done a good sell! Maybe they should have used extracts from Hansies interview on the show.
    I wonder if Hoiles was insulted when Clyne called him Phil.

Also the missus brought it up that Laurie Weeks didn't seem to show much emotion around this whole fiasco. Not suggesting anything in it as it may just be him but it was noticeable.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DazloT View Post
    I wonder if Hoiles was insulted when Clyne called him Phil.

Also the missus brought it up that Laurie Weeks didn't seem to show much emotion around this whole fiasco. Not suggesting anything in it as it may just be him but it was noticeable.

It was noted in my house hold that it is surprising that after such a small period of time Laurie is the only foundation player left.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Phil was decidedly quiet. His comments about the ARU growing some balls was brought up in the press conference by Clyne. Phil made one flippant comment about the decision timing tonight and that was it. Not the best judge of people's behaviour and picking up on cues but his demeanour didn't seem his usual self.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    No shame in that. The Chairman doesn't seem to have even thought about it.

The thing that really knocked me for 6 was that when questioned whether the board could be sure that the 4 franchises remaining would still need propping up financially, he also didn't seem over that and struggled to answer. Seems that will be OK though as long as it's not The Force. He wasn't pressed. Dunno whether that sort of questioning would be run in any litigation but it would be interesting if so.
    The remaining 4 franchises will most likely need further assistance considering the damage this has done to crowd sizes and brands. This will very likely result in the $6 million quoted as a saving from reducing teams to be invested into grassroots actually going on increased short term investment or propping them up. Add in law suit costs and the ARU will most likely not be any better off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahard View Post
    The remaining 4 franchises will most likely need further assistance considering the damage this has done to crowd sizes and brands. This will very likely result in the $6 million quoted as a saving from reducing teams to be invested into grassroots actually going on increased short term investment or propping them up. Add in law suit costs and the ARU will most likely not be any better off.
    Mr Papworth agrees with you. I still think the ESRU are playing the long game and the desired result is for The Rabble to fall over within a couple of years if they survive the axe......

Sydney9–19°C

NEWS
    SPORT
    ENTERTAINMENT
    BUSINESS
    LIFESTYLE
    REALESTATE
    VIDEO
    CLASSIFIEDS

Franchises face nervous wait
    Rugby
    Brett Papworth backs ARU plan to divert Super Rugby funds to grassroots but questions if money will materialise
    IAIN PAYTEN, The Daily Telegraph
    April 11, 2017 6:06pm
    Subscriber only
    ONCE the staunchest critic of the Australian Rugby Union, former Wallaby Brett Papworth has applauded the ARU’s pledge to pour millions into community rugby via the savings from one less Super Rugby team.

But while it’s an “admirable” step, Papworth says he is dubious about whether the ARU will have millions spare after paying the hefty costs of cutting a franchise and with the governing body conceding it will also have to keep bailing out the other four teams.

“At face value, it’s great news,” Papworth said.

“It’s fantastic and it’s something we should have been doing for a decade, investing in the grassroots. But I am not confident there will be any left to invest in the grassroots just by cutting a team.”

For years Papworth has been a sharp thorn in the ARU’s side over its perceived lack of engagement with community rugby, particularly in funding.

Scathing articles from Papworth have gone viral and last year co-authored a letter to the ARU demanding increased funding for grassroots that was signed by dozens of former Wallaby players and coaches.

Brett Papworth
    Community funding amounts were disputed by the ARU but Papworth was among a delegation that met ARU heavyweights last year.

In his role as vice-president of Sydney Rugby Union, Papworth was at the ARU AGM on Monday where he heard the plan to reinvest a majority of the savings from the axed Super Rugby franchise into a multi-year funding package for grassroots.

Papworth said it was welcome news but he’ll reserve judgment until counting the banknotes.

“The issue for me is that regardless of how may Super Rugby teams we have, there should be money earmarked and put aside for community rugby. It should be the first money they spend,” he said.

“The savings are, what $6 million? I am not sure. Once they have fought the legal action, wound them up, made all the redundancy payments to staff, relocation, once they’ve propped up all the losses in the remaining franchises — and those losses are almost guaranteed — there isn’t any money left.

“​Look, ​it’s admirable. ​​There are a lot of very difficult circumstances. They know damn well they have to invest in the game long term but they just can’t get past the fact they have money problems.

“Super Rugby, regardless of how many teams they put in it, is a drain.”

Force speak out about cull
    Papworth appeared to almost hint at some sympathy for the under-siege ARU.

“The game has issues, and they’re not just the ARU’s issues. We tend to point the finger and we want to shoot an individual, and that’s not necessarily fair either,” Papworth said.

“The game is in the state it is in and it takes everyone to get us out of it. Difficult, difficult decisions have to be made and I’d like to see some of those.

“The rugby community finds it really easy to throw stones, right? And it’s really easy to do that from the cheap seats. It just is. They give us so much ammunition. But I think the rugby community want to see a bold step that shows them. You can’t just keep talking it up.”

Papworth believes leadership changes — at executive and board level — could be the first bold step to return confidence to a disillusioned Australian rugby community.

“The rugby community would see that as “right, we’re getting fair dinkum now”,” he said.

“What I saw at the AGM, the board sat up there, most said not one word. They’re all from the corporate end of town but if we had to talk share price (of the ARU), it would be in the toilet. If we had to talk market share, it is in the toilet. Yet nothing happens. That’s the issue for the rugby community.

“It’s the same people making the same decisions, and talking to all the same people. So nothing ever changes. That’s the view of the rugby community.”

Papworth said the ARU leadership had to stop “waking up every morning worrying about money” and start build strategies for Australian rugby to be successful again.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    No matter.

Hansie now walks on water.
    Does this mean Hansie will be crucified this Friday and rise from the dead on Sunday?

I am really a Palmyra troll.

Champion
    vCash
    I thought Nick McCardle really tried to get straight answers from Clyne. He just refused to answer then straight.

vCash
    So now the ARU are backed into a corner, what now? They're buying for time now so their lawyers can figure something out. How you can argue your way out of not 1 but 2 legal contracts is a doozie. Only problem is dragging all of this out causing stress on the guys and staff, mayhaps that is the game the ARU will now play. We need a killer punch to finish this off - is Malcolm Turnbull busy?

Senior Player
    vCash
    Clyne just seemed arrogant to me and I honestly don't think they were expecting such a backlash, I also think the decision to cut the Force was made a long time ago and now they are trying to make it look like they are still deciding.

Just the way he talked about 'other sports cut teams all the time' and 'don't forget South Africa are losing 2 teams' or words to that effect gives me the impression he thinks we should get over it and he doesn't understand the impact of this

Senior Player
    vCash
    I was also surprised that Weeks is the only foundation player left at the rebels. It just seems like a different culture, hodgo, Pek, mccalman, Sharpe etc have bled for this club and you hear stories of players like pelaseasa, pusey etc who still live here and this culture will continue to grow. If the force are successful on the field then there is potential for the support and crowds to grow significantly whereas I don't think this is the case with the rebels. You look at the Melbourne Storm, they have won premierships and still most people in Melbourne couldn't give a toss

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast