Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sias Ebersohn

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    I resent the opening paragraph in this article. May be close to the bone, but given the tahs and Rebels have hardly caught the Super world on fire this year either it is hardly accurate. To say that he alone is going to save us from Super obliteration is to say our current playing team is crap, which we all know is far from the truth
    I agree Andrew. Our season has been a shocker but we have 3 wins, the tags 4 and rebels 4. They are hardly having a great season either. I think Sias will be ok , he s young hopefully injury free has pace and seems to play a running game. We have more chance to build a team with him there not cooper
    Posted via Mobile Device

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Force sign Ebersohn

By RugbyWA Media

The Emirates Western Force recruitment drive for the 2013 FxPro season is in full swing with the signing of Cheetahs flyhalf Sias Ebersohn to the squad on a two year deal as the club’s foreign developing player.

Ebersohn is a natural talent in the playmaker role and has been part of the Cheetahs set-up for the past three seasons. His tactical kicking, communication on the field and confidence in directing play will be a welcome asset to the Emirates Western Force in the seasons to come.

RugbyWA CEO Vern Reid said the club had been watching Ebersohn develop as a player over the past two seasons and had made contact with the young flyhalf during the side’s recent visit to Bloemfontein.

“Following our meeting, Sias has agreed to accept our offer to be the foreign developing player for the Emirates Western Force in the 2013 season,” Mr Reid said.

“The agreement is now before the Australian Rugby Union as they need to approve any foreign developing player contracts under the contracting guidelines.”

Foreign developing players are signed on a two year contract with a Super Rugby franchise and must exhibit potential to play for the Wallabies to be approved by the ARU.

“In our view, Sias has great potential to make a significant impact for the Emirates Western Force in the Super Rugby competition and at an international level and for the past couple of seasons has been touted as a future Springbok,” said Mr Reid.

“We are delighted he has accepted the offer to play for the Emirates Western Force and look forward to welcoming him into the programme.”

Emirates Western Force captain David Pocock met with the promising playmaker following the game against the Cheetahs in round 11.

“I met with Sias when we were in Bloemfontein and he was excited about the prospect of moving to Perth,” said Pocock.

“We’ve been watching him for a while and he is a very skilful player and will bring some much needed energy and experience to that position.

“I’m sure he will fit in well with the playing group at the Emirates Western Force and will enjoy his time in Perth.”

Charles Mountifield, General Manager Rugby Operations (Australia) of the Essentially Group said Ebersohn was looking forward to the opportunity to play for the Western Australian franchise.

“Sias is a promising young rugby player and is looking forward to proving his rugby abilities at the Western Force and eventually at an international level,” Mountifield said.

Name: Sias Ebersohn
    Born: 23/02/1989
    Position: Flyhalf
    Height: 176cm
    Weight: 83kg
    Representative Rugby: 2010 – 2012 Cheetahs, 2009 – 2011 Free State Currie Cup, 2008 – 2010 Free State Vodacom Cup, 2009 IRB Junior World Cup

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    “Following our meeting, Sias has agreed to accept our offer to be the foreign developing player for the Emirates Western Force in the 2013 season,” Mr Reid said.
    Can someone please clarify - this means that the marquee spot is still open? If it's a developing player contract and doesn't use the marquee spot, then this signing makes much more sense (provided he actually pans out as a player!).

vCash
    I resent the opening paragraph in this article. May be close to the bone, but given the tahs and Rebels have hardly caught the Super world on fire this year either it is hardly accurate. To say that he alone is going to save us from Super obliteration is to say our current playing team is crap, which we all know is far from the truth
    I resent it too! And I think it was totally irrelevant anyway in the context of the whole article. Whoever wrote this piece is showing the usual one-eyed prejudice I have come to expect from most sports journalists.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nipper View Post
    Can someone please clarify - this means that the marquee spot is still open? If it's a developing player contract and doesn't use the marquee spot, then this signing makes much more sense (provided he actually pans out as a player!).
    It's definitely the developing player spot. The marquee spot is still open.

vCash
    I agree too. I find it a tad patronising and condescending. It's typical cliched press. It's probably been deemed a none to exciting story by an editor and needed an attention grabbing opening paragraph.
    The old adage "Facts should not get in the way of the story" is evident in that paragraph.....
    But who cares? It looks like we've recruited a good player!

Apprentice
    vCash
    I registered to this site just to add my two cents on this player

I think Sias Ebersohn is an absolute steal as a developmental player. He has a great kicking game, plenty of pace and can pass a ball (oh and he can run a back line, a skill we seem to be devoid of this season).

As has been said previously, hes only out of the cheetahs side because of the discovery of Johan Goosen, who has been an absolute find (top 5 in conversions, penalties, points even though he's been injured recently). The Cheetahs in the past few years (both Super Rugby and Currie Cup) have been playing an extremely attacking style that is great to watch (a style I would like to see here), with our forwards we can cover the problem they had which was a poor forward pack with one stand-out back-rower, Heinrich Brussow. (I know we can say that exact phrase when describing our forwards at times)

The fact that he has been signed as a developmental player means we have the opportunity to recruit a marquee back to help him. I have no idea who we will pick so I won't comment on that (Genia would have been nice....)

Lastly, keep an eye on Ebersohn's defense, in my opinion, that his one shortcoming. Not to the point of Mr. I'll defend at fullback (aka. not at all) Quade Cooper, he mans up on defense but he has been known to miss a few on occasion. He is ranked on the stat sheet as a person missing a lot of tackles but that needs to be taken with a grain of salt considering he played for one of the lowest ranked teams in the comp who also went long periods of time without any possession.

Just give the guy a go, you just never know he might turn out half decent.

vCash
    Would there be any mine thought at maybe signing seral pretourias?? He is the marquee at the tah but with one year deals would need to move on. He and eberson already have a nice combo from there time at the cheeters. Just a thought he would also be a good mentor for Holmes and turner.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Great post shake, I hope now you're here you feel like spending at least another 2c, very erudite writing
    Posted via Mobile Device

Apprentice
    vCash
    He would be a great force number 9, leading try scorer last season. He is one of the best, in Super Rugby at least, at attacking the fringes. His kicking game is not the greatest and his left-side pass lacks a bit of oomph and direction sometimes but they can be improved over time.

The only problem I see is he will most likely (correct me if I'm wrong) have to use up the Marquee Signing tag because he has only spent a season in Aus. I'm not sure whether they would want to do that. If there was no other options, that may be the best option. There would also be the perception that the Force are effectively creating a south african spine to the western force back-line (with Ebersohn at 10), that doesn't really mean much but people would probably point that out.

He is definitely not an unrealistic option though and i'd choose him over most 9's going around atm.

Veteran
    vCash
    Shake, is your name Lucas by any chance?

Apprentice
    vCash
    Thanks sittingbison, i'll be around a bit more. I like talking to like minded people about the best side in super rugby (in my mind, which is all that matters )

Palitu, nah mate My name is James haha

Veteran
    vCash
    also, We are always winging about the stars coming and going, why not get a 5/8 who is a development guy (as, where else are they going to develop??), and use him, then we have structure over a couple years and build some consistency.

No Star at 10 now, we have 3 now

next position..

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Force sign Ebersohn

“The agreement is now before the Australian Rugby Union as they need to approve any foreign developing player contracts under the contracting guidelines.”

Foreign developing players are signed on a two year contract with a Super Rugby franchise and must exhibit potential to play for the Wallabies to be approved by the ARU.

don't want to get anyone nervous but is there still a high possibility that the ARU will say no and this will not happen?

From reading the above, the ARU need to agree that a guy playing 3rd string fly half for the second worst South African team has the potential to play for the Wallabies? I hope we get him and it all works out but when you think of it that way you could see a chance of them denying this, it has happened before.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post
    don't want to get anyone nervous but is there still a high possibility that the ARU will say no and this will not happen?

From reading the above, the ARU need to agree that a guy playing 3rd string fly half for the second worst South African team has the potential to play for the Wallabies? I hope we get him and it all works out but when you think of it that way you could see a chance of them denying this, it has happened before.
    Well they signed of on Willie I doubt they wouldn't do the same for this bloke. I would read to much into him being the 3rd string for the cheetahs last year he was the number one and was a future springbok then goosen comes along a bam catch ya later. Hence the move.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast