Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ARU, NZRU losing faith in South Africa

vCash
    Hello Everyone. Its been a long, long time since I posted but I've always been here in spirit

Just wanted to put in my 2c on this topic.

It seems to me that we (southern hemisphere rugby) are at a stage where we need to stop piss-farting around and develop a strong, well-defined future roadmap for the game.

The current financial climate is not capable of supporting huge amounts of sponsorship, the other football codes are looking to expand into non-traditional areas and rugby tv and live audiences are (apparently) declining.

Since the broadcasting revenue for the Super 14 is the most significant source of funding for the game in the SANZAR unions, it is important that we get this absolutely right. Everything else can be planned around this.

It seems to me that the more disagreement between AU, NZ and SA there is, the more the game is hurt in terms of reputation (to the punters) and image (in the eyes of sponsors and broadcasters). Especially since most of this is being played out in public.

I think its time to call SA's bluff. Get a good solid working model around the AU/NZ/Pacific competition as has been discussed and present that to News Ltd. There must be financial benefits in cutting out long distance travel to the republic and expanding to a home and away (play everyone twice) comp.

The powers that be need to grow some backbone and inject confidence into the game. Give us something to be optimistic about.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash

South Africa face battle to move north

The acting managing director of SARU, Andy Marinos, told media this week that he had informed the other Sanzar nations he was going to look to Europe as a replacement for competition for his Super rugby teams.

"There have been no direct conversations but there has been interest shown," he said.

"The Top 14 (France) and Premiership (England) look pretty set for the next few years but there could be opportunities around the Celtic League (also known as the Magners League). The European Cup agreement is signed until 2012, so there is no way in there.

However, last night Welsh Rugby Union CEO Roger Lewis told Sunday News that not only had there been no expressions of interest shown to South Africa but that he would find it difficult to see them ever getting involved in the Magners League.

"I can speak as the chief executive of the Welsh Rugby Union and also as a director of the Magners League," Lewis said.

"What I can say is that there have been no discussions either formally or informally regarding this prospect."

Lewis explained that since rugby went professional in 1995 there had been massive battles between European unions, clubs and the respective players' unions over what were the right structures and competitions to have in place over a season.

At last there is peace, but finding a way to bring in South Africa would open up that can of worms again.

"Given the challenges that all of us are facing in structuring the seasons at present, any such discussion would take careful and sensitive handling," said Lewis.

"Moreover, any matches played in the northern hemisphere would have to be agreed by the respective rugby unions, so any such move for changing competitions or increasing fixtures would take a great deal of careful handling and planning."

Crucially, any South African move to the northern hemisphere competitions would cut into their Currie Cup season the very thing SARU are saying they are trying to protect by not agreeing with New Zealand and Australia to an extended Super rugby season.

The Currie Cup runs from July to October and the Magners league runs from September to May.

Lewis says even if there was a willingness to bring in South Africa, there will be a large number of hurdles to overcome.

"With the Magners League we're discussing the possibility of Italy joining," he said.

"But we will not be making a decision on that until later this year or early next year and that's for something that isn't taking effect until September 2010.

"So that gives you an idea of the time frames we work on with this sort of thing, because the season structure is a very complex issue.".......

Full article HERE

vCash
    Thanks AndyS... What’s more likely to happen is more SA players will go elsewhere and leave the Republic.... Their supporters wont get to see many of them play anyway in the Currie Cup...

Players don't just want the dollar they want to play in the premium world rugby tournaments... and while the Currie Cup is loved in the republic its not a S14, or a Magners league equivalent...

The acting managing director of SARU, Andy Marino is going to do extensive damage to South African rugby and put it back a decades...

One other point the Super Rugby name is registered by News Limited and could still be used without the South Africans…

vCash
    That's a good point. If the saffers have trouble squeezing their S14 teams into another competition, we might find more of their players making their way into the European leagues and possibly the 5th Australian team.

vCash
    well having read that article Andy posted it would look like the Saffers are bluffing, not to mention look like knobs after the director of the Magners League has come out and said that no discussion have taken place.

i have said it before (so have others), I can't see many Magners League sides being too happy to play in South Africa in the Southern Summer months

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    This would be my suggestion, superimposed on this year...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2