Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Valentine bound for Brumbies

vCash
    As Jono said, it isn't really clear why he left. Everything in the last few weeks has indicated that he wanted to stay so it sounds quite possible that he simply didn't get the deal he wanted and so chose the next best option. He'd be an idiot to announce publicly that the Force didn't think he was good enough to sign him for longer or give him more money...that would hardly help his Wallabies chances....hence if this is the case, he spun the diplomatic response.

Either way, good luck to him. He'll be hard pressed to find game time at the Brumbies in the same way he would have here, but he's a big boy and will have to live with the consequences of his decision whether it turn out to be good or bad.

Now back to us.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Was there not an article saying that he was offered a one-year extension of his current contract? That implies they were offering him the same amount he came over here to play for. Now that he is a permanent starter and likely Wallaby, theoretically he would be worth more but an extension suggests they were offering him the same. If thats the case I would do the exact same thing as him and up and leave for a better deal.

I'm undecided how I feel about him though. If what I just said is what happened then I cant blame him but if the sole reason for his departure is to play with Giteau then IMHO he is not interested in furthering his career at the highest level. His chances of starting scrummie are a lot less at the Brums than they were here.

Thanks for filling the void and giving us a good year of rugby Valo. Hopefully CO'Y wasn't put-off by the lack of game time and him and Sheehan can battle it out every week next season.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Its pretty obvious now that John Mitchell wanted Sheehan more and hence Valentine was the loser and COY and Turner develop under Sheehan.

Hes got a lot of agro and JM should be able to control that.

I think its a good move. A WA guy coming home to play.

Player
    vCash
    its a smart move rugby wise for valo,who ever plays inside gits has a good chance to play fro the wallabies.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    When the committee moves over to the Brumbies and prefers Valentine then he will be the starting Half Back.

I wish Valentine all the luck in the world he came over with a goal to be the starting Halfback for the Force as well as to play himself into contention for the Green and Gold. He has achieved his goal and played some awesome rugby for us along the way.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Champion
    vCash
    No big loss. Funny thing is both Giteau & Valentine have said they are going to put in 100% till the end of the season as they are still committed to the Force. CAUSE YOU ARE, but that means Giteau stop sitting out on the wings in defence !!!

One team I hate (apologise for the word) but they are all as cocky as each other in ACT, still remember Mackay's applausing Mortlock the only one in Australia not the clap, HES SPECIAL !!

Brumbies in Perth in 2010 lets GIVE EM SHIT !!! can we have a welcoming party at the airport for all the FORCE REJECTS ....

Where's Lefiano going, an opening with the FORCE ?

vCash
    Any else else think Chucky must be well sick of Valo pushing him out whatever team he's playing for every year?? Cos if Phibbs and Holmes aren't moving, Chucky's on the outer again.

vCash
    Valentine served his one year agreement and wasn't re-signed soon enough so he got a better offer elsewhere, and followed the player that helped him most this year on the field, Matt Giteau ... Sheehan is a tough little punchy scrumhalf he'll do well at the Force... He should get on well with Haig...

---------- Post added at 08:46 ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 ----------

Well its official it’s in SMH....

vCash
    rumour has it that phibbs and holmes are to be cut, hopefully its all good news for chucky. the poor guy deserves a good chance

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    i have to say that holmes and phibbs are above chucky in halfback rankings. Chucky lacks the defensive aggression and also the experience at 9 to be a fantastic halfback. A big thumbs up to Chucky for getting the job done while we were searching for someone else, but the plays look so much better with valentine in the helm this year, and even COY last year. But its a job and if you dont play well, club's won't want to keep you if you cos it'll be a waste of money for them.

vCash
    You would think the length of the deal was the clincher, from what i read the Force offered him another 1 year deal and the Brumbies offered 2 years, I guess certainty is what players want.

It does suck to an extent given that his career was on the scrap heap last year, we gave him the chance........

At least he will be walking into another starting position

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna View Post
    He'd be an idiot to announce publicly that the Force didn't think he was good enough to sign him for longer or give him more money.................. ....................................
    He'll be hard pressed to find game time at the Brumbies in the same way he would have here, but he's a big boy and will have to live with the consequences
    I think you hit the proverbial nail there Jehna. Valentine made it pretty clear his preference was to stay. Exactly why that didn't happen might remain a bit of a mystery. The Oracle will no doubt let us know his divinations after he consults the mojo jujus (aka Brett Harris' articles).

Good luck to him, he's going to need it. Along with the good form he showed for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry
    I think its a good move. A WA guy coming home to play
    I know he was born in Gero, but he played footy with Cro Magnon since 13yo at Joeys. So he must have gone East very young? Glad he's coming to play but I wouldn't put him alongside the likes of K Bomb, DHP, Will Brock etc....

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Well last month it looked like Valentine had nothing for next year and wanted to stay at the Force... Since then Friend has put contract deal together to push for his signing... and he took the opportunity to stick with the Flyhalf combination that has resurrected his career... Josh Valentine is 26, he is running out of chances to play international rugby... He made the right choice, now can he back it up on the field in 2010 and win the Brumbies starting position.... this remains to be seen...

Meanwhile back in Brumbyland Friend is going to cut 2 scrum halves, Stannard is one and but who will be the other.... my money is on Phibbs 28 taking a long northern tour to Japan or the UK using his brother-in-laws contacts, Owen Finegan... We will see in the next couple of weeks...

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Whats wrong with Gero?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta
    The Oracle will no doubt let us know his divinations after he consults the mojo jujus

Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Well last month it looked like Valentine... Since then Friend has... and he took the opportunity.. he is running out of chance.............. He made the right choice, .... this remains to be seen...

Didn't take long.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast