Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stadium Stuff Up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    Thats a really interesting point Jono.

I wasn't here when the whole bidding thing was going on, so those more in the know might be able to comment with more insight on the actual answer to that.

As I see it, Rugby has basically been punished for being more popular than anyone suspected- since too many people are coming to game to justify a 25,000 seat patch up to MES, we get diddly-squat.

That first point of TQ1s is a really good summary of where we're at with sports infrastructure in this state.

I can give the letter a burl tonight, if noone gets to it before then.

ive been thinking about it for a while swee.
    gave me something to do while cutting chickens and whilst driving.

if SANZAR had've known how this saga was going to unfold. they could actually have not given us the team. because we didnt fufill a promise that was made to get the team in the first place.

-incidentially i would LOVE to get my hands on the letters that were sent to SANZAR from the govt that actually got us the force - can that be done?

and also this talk of 'renting' australia's 5th franchise does little to quiet my fear that w.a could actually LOOSE the force. seeing as the state govt hasnt followed through on its part of the deal. i.e a dedicated rectangular stadium!
    i think that SANZAR could present a pretty strong case for it as well if they really wanted to.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Do you want to do the honours Swee?
    The honours are done

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    We've previously discussed the remodelling the large part of Subi that doesn't clash the new ground into a rugby venue, and the various advantages it would offer - should we add acting as an in-venue warm-up ground for major athletics events to the list?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    Oh by the way anyone who reckons that the nurses, teachers are hard done by now will just have to wait until there is no rugby in this state and we tax payers are paying for the blasted stadium
    I know I'm a teacher and thanks for your support TQ1, but don't forget the Ambos, Fireys and Coppers, they pull harder yards than I and are served the same crap at pay-rise time.

also, this article isn't news, we were talking about this a in 2006 and b when carpenter announced his intention to fail in a bid to host the Commonwealth games.

Anybody who want's to know what to do.....ring all the candidates in your electorate, ask what their party's (or if independent their own) policy is on the provision of a dedicated rectangular stadium. Post the answer on WNC in the WA General Election forum and we can then ensure that every sitting member in the state supports the building of a dedicated rectangular stadium, whatever party they are with.

also, once you have the information from the candidates, write a letter to your local community newspaper discussing the various views you have been given by the candidates and how any who think that Albino Pachyderm Park is a good idea are totally clueless!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    We've previously discussed the remodelling the large part of Subi that doesn't clash the new ground into a rugby venue, and the various advantages it would offer - should we add acting as an in-venue warm-up ground for major athletics events to the list?
    I don't think you'd fit a 400m warm up track in there Andy, the reconstruction of Subi was only ever considered here as a rectangle, I did a quick sketch where the ground wars turned 90 degrees and the eastern stand torn down to be rplaced by a stnd right next to the pitch. It looked feasible on paper, but even with the guesswork I was doing it looks like there'd be a fag paper between them.

C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post

-incidentially i would LOVE to get my hands on the letters that were sent to SANZAR from the govt that actually got us the force - can that be done?
    IF the document is tabled in Parliament then its available via WA Government website under Hansard.

If its from a specific Minister you can actually apply for it under the Freedom of Information act.

Or

You could try asking RugbyWA for its copy of it. This would be unlikely I would imagine as these types of documents very rarely see light of day.

FOI would be the way to go, but its a very time consuming affair. It would be unlikely that it would be made available in time for use prior to the election. But I am sure Fulvio or Jehna could tell us more about FOI.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    Ok this is warming up to be an election issue - where to next - would be nice if we could get a "Rugby" personna to out and express our concerns about Rugby totalling the pitch for AFL games - and without us the whole stadium is not financially viable -

Would a rectangular stadium help with bids for Olympics and Kevin Rudds desire to host the Soccer World Cup
    How can we get a response from Colin Barnett? It would not need much to persuade him that are several thousand guaranteed votes if he commits to a rectangular stadium, whether new or a proper upgrade of MES.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joblot View Post
    How can we get a response from Colin Barnett? It would not need much to persuade him that are several thousand guaranteed votes if he commits to a rectangular stadium, whether new or a proper upgrade of MES.
    Working on it Joblot, Believe me as soon as he returns my call I'll let you know!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile
    IF the document is tabled in Parliament then its available via WA Government website under Hansard.

Looky looky what I found and this is only our of the 2005 documents...

Quote Originally Posted by Legislative Assembly meeting from Wednesday 4th of May, 2005. Page: 1236b - 1236b / 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kucera
    The Gallop government has committed $25 million to the expansion of Members Equity Stadium not only for the new Western Force rugby union team but also to increase our chances of attracting games for the 2008 Rugby League World Cup and, ultimately, the return of a National Rugby League team to Perth by 2010. The extensions are due to be completed towards the end of 2006. They will mean that Perth has a world-class rectangular stadium with the capacity to host big events....We say it is only fair that taxes paid by our people are returned in the form of infrastructure and services such as new stadiums for the enjoyment of all.
    So, where's our stadium then?? Its now 2 years beyond the 'extensions are due to be completed by' date and we have seen nada. As Carpeneter took over from Gallop, I see that it is his job to come up with the goods in keeping with what his party agreed to.

and...

Quote Originally Posted by House: Legislative Assembly- Estimates Committee
    Date: Tuesday, 7 June 2005 Page: 158b - 165a / 1
    Quote Originally Posted by John McGrath
    My question relates to the fourth dot point under major achievements for 2004-05 on page 845 of the Budget Statements. It reads -

$1 million allocated toward the completion of the second stage development at Perth Oval to support Perth’s Super 14s Rugby team. . . .

I note that the balance of the project’s funding of $24 million is to be allocated in 2005-06. Will $24 million pay for the entire project? If not, who will provide the remaining funding? When the stadium is complete, who will own the facility, and who will be responsible for its management?
    It is anticipated that the $25 million in total will be sufficient for the second stage of the development of that oval. Who will be responsible for its management? A renegotiation of existing contracts will occur following the redevelopment. In stage one, $6.7 million was provided by the state government, and the Town of Vincent contributed $4.46 million plus the land. Therefore, the Town of Vincent will always be involved. Alia Holdings, a subsidiary of the Perth Glory Soccer Club, is responsible for the management of the facility. The preliminary agreement was signed by the Town of Vincent in April 2005, and the government provided $500 000 to allow negotiations on the construction of the second stage to commence. The Town of Vincent had already advertised a tender for an architect. We will look for provisions in that regard. Stage 2A of Members Equity Stadium is due for completion at the end of 2007. We are close to agreement with the Western Australian Football Commission to have the 2006 Super 14s games played at Subiaco Oval.

The development of Perth Oval involves a rectangular ground. Members may have seen recently that Australia will complete its bid for the 2006 Fédération Internationale de Football Association World Cup finals as part of the South American qualifying division. Once the 2006 bid is complete, I understand that Australia will move into the Asian FIFA World Cup qualifying groups, which will be a whole new ball game in the World Cup organisation. With the new A-League coming on board for national soccer, or football as it is termed, bigger games will be held at Members Equity Stadium. Sydney United will be playing off against an Asian team next week for a place in the FIFA Club World Championship. This provides the opportunity to open up the ground for major soccer games in the future.

Four or five weeks ago, we held the first rugby league game played in Perth for some time, with a view to bidding to host some of the 2008 Rugby League World Cup games. David Gallop, the Chief Executive Officer of the National Rugby League, and his team came over to Perth for that game. They want to make a bid for World Cup games to be played in Perth. We estimate that gate entries of 22 000 or 23 000 are achieved for the Rugby League World Cup games, and that would suit Members Equity Stadium down to the ground. That move is being made with a view to getting a National Rugby League team back in Perth in 2010. Members Equity Stadium is about not only rugby union, but also all rectangular ground sports.

Following negotiations, the rugby organisation and the WA Football Commission have pretty well got the first year of the Super 14s stitched up. What goes on after that is up to the agreement of those involvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by John McGrath
    Relating to the rectangular ground, the minister talked about Australia making a bid for the FIFA World Cup. We saw how successful the International Rugby Board World Cup was a couple of years ago when held in Australia. Would the Members Equity Stadium be big enough to accommodate the types of crowds drawn to the huge international games?
    Members Equity Stadium is designed to hold up to 23 500 people and 19 corporate boxes, plus corporate facilities on a large basis, similar to the Billy Walker Room at Subiaco Oval. There would be a need for us to move towards Subiaco Oval or the Western Australian Cricket Association ground for those kinds of competitions. The bid for rugby was not only about the new rugby team, the Western Force; it was also about growing the game of rugby in Western Australia. We anticipate that as Western Force establishes itself, the ground will be used more and more for local games and competitions. People forget or do not realise that our state rugby team is extremely successful. We have featured in the finals for the past four or five seasons. In fact, Perth Gold is in the finals again this year. As the popularity of the Super 14s grows, the game of rugby will grow. This year for the first time in many years there has been a major increase in the number of kids enrolling in all codes of football. The publicity about soccer versus rugby versus football is benefiting all codes. As I have been advised, junior enrolments are up right across the board this year. That is good news.
    Quote Originally Posted by Legislative Assembly, Tuesday, 20 September 2005 Page: 5645b - 5681a / 1

This meeting was about redeveloping Perry Lakes, but still has some valid points that support our cause.
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanah MacTiernan
    As I have said, it is a very complex and difficult project. In the meantime the sports of athletics, basketball and rugby in this state are suffering . They are operating out of substandard facilities with very little certainty about the future. After 10 years, we owe it to those sporting codes to provide them with adequate facilities.
    not in response to that, but an interestig piece of info

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Barnett
    I am patron of the Cottesloe Rugby Union Club.
    and in relation to what MacTiernan said

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Sprigg
    People have mentioned the development of the sport of rugby. We all know about Emirates Western Force taking part in the competition next year. A new facility is needed for rugby training. Games will be played at Subiaco Oval, and later at the Members Equity Stadium. A new centre is certainly needed for rugby, which is very much a developing sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Legislative Assembly, Thursday, 22 September 2005 Page: 5935b - 5951a / 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy Sprigg
    One problem is looming, I believe, and perhaps the Minister for Sport and Recreation will be able to help. I know the minister at the table is a planning minister and not a sports minister, but I want to paint a picture for the minister. The Minister for Sport and Recreation announced recently that he had put aside some funds, and rightly so, for the development of Members Equity Stadium for the sports of rugby and soccer. Immediately that announcement was made at least two others sports knocked on the Treasurer's door and on the minister's door and said, "What about us?" The West Australian Football Commission, in particular, said, "The government is putting $25 million into Members Equity Stadium; we need $40 million to develop our stadium." Under this bill, the minister is giving $5 million to one sport - athletics - and nothing to two other sports.
    Troy Sprigg, Colin Barnett and Bob Kucera seem to be the type of people we need on board, oh and what do you know Colin Barnett is running for Premier...hoorah!! :

Last edited by laura; 18-08-08 at 12:37. Reason: so much info...brain explode

vCash
    Sweet work Laura!

vCash
    I posted it on WNC dont know if everyone will be able to see it though and I can email you the pdf if you want.

vCash
    We're all having dramas uploading stuff to WNC- can you throw on a link and a page reference??

vCash
    I uploaded some of it to WNC, its hard work typing [ QUOTE ] everytime I need to quote!!

There is more in the original post as well, documents from 4 Legislative Assemblies in 2005 contained some pretty handy info. The last 2 were relating to Perry Lakes but contained some goog info and background (for want of a better word) on the politicians and their aspirations/hopes for rugby in WA. Considering it has now been almost 3 years since they made these statements, I would be interested to see how they feel about what has/hasn't been done in the time that has past.

There are 290 Hansard documents on rugby, which go as far back as 1997 and include the most recent document on estimates of revenue and expenditure, by our favourite Barry House. I will trawl throught them for more stuff.

vCash
    Didn't take long to come up with a pearler!!

Quote Originally Posted by Legislative Assembly, Thursday, 22 May 2008 437b - 445a / 1
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kobelke
    The government maintains a two-stadium policy. We will have a major multipurpose stadium at Kitchener Park, Subiaco, which will be primarily for Australian Rules football but will clearly also be adaptable for use by rugby, soccer and, potentially, cricket. That is the major stadium. Members Equity Stadium is a rectangular stadium that has a current seating capacity of a bit over 18 000. We are not getting attendance for rugby or soccer events anywhere near that capacity. The recommendation of the major stadium report was that we should wait until there is a sound business case for any further major expenditure on Members Equity Stadium. The reality is that we have to set priorities. Being committed to well over $1 billion for the multiuse stadium really squeezes out any major money for Members Equity Stadium. Clearly, we do not have a business plan to enable expenditure there. The government has provided funding just in the last few months for planning. Nearly $400 000 of that is being used, in conjunction with the Town of Vincent, on some important work that needs to be done. If the member was present for the opening of Members Equity Stadium, he would know that the lights went out. There is a problem with the transformers and the delivery of power, which meant that the air conditioning and the kitchens could not be run at the same time. Money has now been provided to ensure the upgrade of the power supply and to undertake some other work that needs to be done. The government is certainly cognisant of the importance of Members Equity Stadium. It is a fantastic stadium. Some people would clearly like it to be upgraded both in terms of its capacity and the quality of its facilities. However, as I said, that
    will have to wait until there is a business plan to support that work. Clearly, it would have to be deferred given the major expenditure on the multiuse stadium.

vCash
    oh Kobelke you are so wrong. Rugby (force games) are getting about 21 000 and pretty sure the Wallabies got more than that!!!!!

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast