Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Waratahs flanker Wycliff Palu avoids jail for major driving infringement

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Waratahs flanker Wycliff Palu avoids jail for major driving infringement

Wallabies flanker Wycliff Palu has been given a suspended sentence by a Sydney court after being caught driving without a valid licence for the second time in two years.

The New South Wales Waratahs star appeared before Sydney's Downing Centre Local Court after he was caught by police driving with a suspended licence in January.

The 26-year-old was placed on an 18-month good behaviour bond and ordered to pay a fine of more than $1,000.

He was also warned by the magistrate if he drove again without a licence, it would be very hard to avoid a jail term.

"I deeply regret my serious error in judgement in relation to the charges that were brought against me by the court. I now understand the seriousness of the offence," Palu said in a statement.

"I fully respect and will abide by the ruling of the court with relation to my offence and will ensure I never find myself in this position again.

"I am now looking to put this incident behind me and am focusing on helping the Waratahs qualify for this year's Super 14 semi-finals and on returning to the Wallabies team."

Waratahs manager Chris Webb says Palu understands the gravity of the situation.

"Wycliff has accepted the court's decision and understands the seriousness of the outcome," he said.

"We will work with Wycliff to ensure he never finds himself in this position again and that he gets on with what he does best - playing great rugby for the Waratahs and Wallabies."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...002381,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    My respect for this individual just went into freefall

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    In WA, case law precedent states that for a second or subsequent offence a jail sentence is inevitable unless there are exceptional mitigating circumstances. See WA v Krakouer and WA v Calway.

In reality however it is usually (but not always) such a victimless offence, and the prisons are so full, that Magistrates rarely impose an immediate prison sentence unless there are many, many priors, or the circumstances are diabolical.

Usually, the penalty is a large fine and 9 or more months cumulative licence suspension, or a suspended prison sentence and mandatory suspension.

But I don't recommend anyone chance their arm. There are a few Magistrates that apply the strict letter of the law.

Palu is a clown, and a high profile individual who flounts the law like this is setting himself up to be made an example of.

Apprentice Contributor Big Boots's Avatar
    vCash
    Sounds like he needed to play for the ACT. They used cover up this sort of thing very well.

vCash
    firepower to blame no doubt!...
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    i wonder what sanctions they will place on Palu...

im guessing zero, zup, nadda... none!

grow some balls NSWRU!!

Rookie
    vCash
    why do they need to sanction a player who has caused no harm or injury?
    if a player is drink driving then i understand the need for it, but i dont think calling out nswru for not doing anything when the individual has taken responsability for it and put no one else in harms way does anything but give people from the east reason to think those of us from the west are speacial in a mean way!

vCash
    Amazing how this story just got a text headline in Rugby Heaven, yet if it was a Force player it would not only have been the main news item with pictures but would have taken days for them to replace it with a new headline.

Lets play fair

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Rookie
    vCash
    it may get days in the newspapers in the west but it doesnt get any coverage out here in the east due to the fact that palu even after this would still be a well behaved rugby league player.

vCash
    if this was a NRL player, he would have walked out of court, jumped in a car and drove off

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    with no seatbelt!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rahrahgirl View Post
    it may get days in the newspapers in the west but it doesnt get any coverage out here in the east due to the fact that palu even after this would still be a well behaved rugby league player.
    I thought you were a perth girl - you should know that local papers don't carry rugby stories...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rahrahgirl View Post
    why do they need to sanction a player who has caused no harm or injury?
    if a player is drink driving then i understand the need for it, but i dont think calling out nswru for not doing anything when the individual has taken responsability for it and put no one else in harms way does anything but give people from the east reason to think those of us from the west are speacial in a mean way!
    Because when/if some kid does it, they will say that Wycliff Palu got off sanction-free so why shouldn't I. Rules are there for a reason, they're meant to protect not only other people but the players themselves. Sure no one was injured but anything could have happened and he's just lucky it didn't.
    The east can think we're special all they like, we think they're special too. When our players get in to any sort of trouble there's a call to arms to have them sacked, if the east are so high and mighty then its about time they demonstrated the correct thing to do and followed procedures.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    Because when/if some kid does it, they will say that Wycliff Palu got off sanction-free so why shouldn't I. Rules are there for a reason, they're meant to protect not only other people but the players themselves. Sure no one was injured but anything could have happened and he's just lucky it didn't.
    The east can think we're special all they like, we think they're special too. When our players get in to any sort of trouble there's a call to arms to have them sacked, if the east are so high and mighty then its about time they demonstrated the correct thing to do and followed procedures.
    well driving without a license and breaking a team mates jaw arent really in the same category of offence.

vCash
    No they're not the same thing, but that doesn't mean Palu should go unpunished by his club.
    Henjak got the boot for his actions. I'm not saying Palu should get the boot btu he shouldn't get off scott-free.
    He was punished by the judicial system and that's what I expect of any person who drives without a license, but Palu needs to be held accountable for his actions within his club. Whats going to stop an 18 year-old fresh out of school and straight into the Tahs from doing the same thing. If Palu doesn't get sanctioned why should anyone else?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast