Thread: Giteau still chance for Wallabies: Deans

vCash

Wink Giteau still chance for Wallabies: Deans

FIVE months ago, Matt Giteau was at long odds to even make the 30-man Wallabies squad amid contracting issues, the form of rival players and allegedly strained relationships with the Australian rugby hierarchy.

But after a gutsy season in another otherwise poor Brumbies outfit, national coach Robbie Deans says the star playmaker is not just in the frame but well in contention for a shock starting berth come July 17, when the Wallabies play their first Test of the season.

Reds five-eighth Quade Cooper has a stranglehold on the No.10 jumper, while Berrick Barnes has long been considered his accomplice at No.12.

But three consecutive concussions have meant Barnes missed more than half the Super Rugby season, and Deans said Giteau had done enough to warrant serious consideration.

"Giteau has been trying. That's evident," Deans said. "You can't fault that. It's not easy in his situation down there and that's the benefit of blokes who are playing for the Reds, because they are flying. And then you consider they'll go into the play-offs and get more rugby and more opportunity to promote themselves.

"But in terms of our decision-making process, that's independent. We have good background with Gits. We know him well. It's not as if he's someone we've had no background with. If that were the case, the position would be more of an issue."

Young gun James O'Connor and Reds powerhouse Anthony Fa'ainga are also in the mix, Deans admitting Barnes' health was of concern to staff.

"Berrick is a little bit of a concern," he said. "Any time a player is denied the opportunity to play is a concern for us. But having said that, Berrick has had really good support and obviously he is getting more background at managing himself and those decisions. Critically, he's OK and he's got great support in terms of going on in the game.

"We're kept well-informed of Berrick's condition. But so long as we are prudent in the way we manage him, and all our injuries, then we'll limit our collateral damage."

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rugb...ml?from=age_ft

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    he'll be handy as a bench player......

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    But was Giteau the cause of the situation down there. If so he is rot and better left at home, so he can pack his bags for France.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    He covers 9,10,12 and 15 on the bench. I'm happy to bench him for versatility. Allows a fast back to cover wing and FB and 5 forwards on the bench. Has experience and goal kicking skills. The perfect bench man

Thankfully, Cooper has taken the game to another level and is perhaps the most exciting 10 in the world.

Controversy corner

Senior Player
    vCash
    It is interesting to read all the animosity directed at Giteau - I am fully aware of the rumblings related to his undermining influence at the Force and Brumbies - but though I am no Giteau fan, he seems to be the object of everyone's projected anger at just about everything.

While I acknowledge that though everything said about him may not be true, there is likely to be truth in it (smoke, fire etc) but comments about his hair, etc are not mature, and reflect more on the writer than Giteau. If he does not make the run on team or the Wallaby bench, and we don't succeed, who will we blame then?

I actually think he's played ok this year, and his efforts to try to change things around for the Ponies has been good.

vCash
    Can't see a successful Wallabies RWC campaign without Giteau in the 22...

JOHN EALES wrote 6 June 2011
    "Where Giteau ends up in the Wallabies is unknown but he must be there, even if only because he creates demons in opposition's minds," John Eales... add Quade Cooper to that list...

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...606-1fnzm.html

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    and what would John know about winning a World Cup.....

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I would have thought Ealesey would be quite knowledgeable about the game....it appears only in the low numbers based upon that comment

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    Glad it was John Eales writing something, if it was Campese or Eddie Jones I wouldn't of taken any notice x 100.