Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Illegal drug use widespread in Australian sport: Crime Commission

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Illegal drug use widespread in Australian sport: Crime Commission

I hope no-one in rugby union is involved in this

An Australian Crime Commission investigation has found widespread drug use in Australian professional sport, with some athletes being given substances not yet approved for human use.

The year-long investigation has identified organised criminal networks which have been involved in distributing the drugs to athletes and support staff.

It believes the involvement of criminal figures may have resulted in match-fixing and the fraudulent manipulation of betting markets.

"Multiple athletes from a number of clubs in major Australian sporting codes are suspected of currently using or having previously used peptides, potentially constituting anti-doping rule violations," Justice Minister Jason Clare said.

He said some coaches, sports scientists and support staff working with elite athletes had been involved in facilitating the use of prohibited substances.

The report’s findings in relation to suspected criminal activity have been referred to the Australian Federal Police as well as state and territory police forces.

Sports Minister Kate Lundy this week introduced legislation to boost the powers of the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) to allow the "full and unhindered investigation" of the issue.

"If persons of interest refuse to cooperate with ASADA investigations, they will be liable for civil penalties," Senator Lundy said in a statement.

The report's release comes as ASADA and the AFL's integrity unit look into claims Essendon gave unnamed supplements to players.

More to come.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-02-07/4505884

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    The brown stuff has well and truly hit the fan

Watching a press conference that has stated Victorian Police have an investigation under way regarding match fixing

Last edited by jargan83; 07-02-13 at 09:18.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Heard this just now on the radio but did not catch who it was..

do not under estimate how much we know, come forward now before you get a knock on the door

Last edited by Happy; 07-02-13 at 09:23. Reason: spelling
    Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Justice Minister Jason Clare encouraged anyone involved to come forward "before you get a knock at the door''.
    http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl...-1226572459574

vCash
    Bill Pulver just gave a brief interview. Said they appointed an ex-copper to investigate in 2010 and they have since prosecuted 4 cases. (were those 4 kept "in-house?) The ARU would be naive to think it doesn't stretch through ALL professional sports. The rest was "full cooperation.....support investigation....bla....blah....

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Manly might be feeling nervous

#NRL Breaking news: The ARLC have commissioned Deloitte to audit Manly's sports science unit #NRL via @proshenks.

vCash

vCash
    Check out Richard Brown's photos from 2006. Compare them to a couple of years down the track. Then now. I know that the above is tongue in cheek. But maturing body shape is a normal thing in pro sport. Especially when they are recruited so young. I'd be much more suspicious of the hair do.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    haha, yeah, its not actually to be taken seriously!

however, since theyve been training with the DODGEY DIRTY BASTARDS the storm, Id draw conclusions that the Rebels strength and conditioning team had dinner with Cameron Smiths' Stilnox dealer from time to time!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Manly might be feeling nervous
    I'm just a little nervous ; and hoping that Hasler didn't learn that blokes methods and take them with him.

vCash

Essendon Membership Pack 2013

Name:  Essendon Membership Pack.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  56.8 KB

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    hope so

Brumbies coach Jake White says rugby union has a "massive clean slate".
    "In rugby union the one thing that's very big is anti-drugs."

vCash
    to presume Rugby is "clean" or drug free is naive at best.

As to developing bodies, I cringed the other day looking at Judas arms. Sorry this is "not normal" :-((

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Check out Richard Brown's photos from 2006. Compare them to a couple of years down the track. Then now. I know that the above is tongue in cheek. But maturing body shape is a normal thing in pro sport. Especially when they are recruited so young. I'd be much more suspicious of the hair do.
    And the spray tan.....

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    I'd like to think that union is drug-free, but I think we'd be silly to believe that every single player in Australia (or even the rugby world) is drug-free.

Drugs provide, for a relatively small cost, the potential to improve your performance, and hence earning-power, substantially. A decent Shute Shield player who doesn't quite make a pro contract could weigh up the pros and cons, taking into account the very low level of testing performed in the sport. If cyclists and sprinters think they can dodge the testers, rugby players should have it easy!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast