Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Awesome article regarding war dances, ie haka, etc

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jethro
    Note no one is going on about the Aussies belting out Matilda pre test as is the fashion at least in Sydney even with Williamson murdering it.
    Firstly, most Australians are over that anyway however secondly, while it may hold up the start of the match, the opposition isn't expected to stand still, get cold and "respect" the song about a suicidal sheep thief either.

Didn't the ARU toy with a Koori challenge a few years ago, and then decided to drop the whole thing
    Australia used actually have a "haka" way back when they first visited England, at the request of the Mother Country following the visit of our Antipodean cousins who had presented theirs.
    I have no recollection of any official move to re-instate it.

The trick to facing a haka, and yes have done so when playing rugger in kiwiland, is to face up to it and psych yourself up. Instant mana for accepting the challenge of course.
    So while it is pissing down rain and you are standing there shivering your arse off to witness some antiquated veiled threat, you are meant to respectfully stand still and absorb the energy (bit like psyching yourself u to another country's national anthem...) while the opposition, many of which are less maori than who they are playing, is performing advance calisthenics and working themselves into a lather?
    With respect Jethro, what a crock!
    I enjoy watching a well performed haka like most people do, but we are now in a professional era and all this BS about the haka belongs pre '95 or in the Amateur sphere. The exception being NZ Maori matches and when two Pacific teams are playing each other and it is equal.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The true origin of the haka found in medieval Europe!!!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    NICE WORK BURGS

BLACK IS THICKER THAN BLOOD

vCash
    Maurice Smyth showing a complete misunderstanding of Maori culture and tradition of course, nice to see racism is alive and well in the kiwi media.
    Remove the Pac Island challenges, and that's just another tradition of the game gone.
    The trick to facing a haka, and yes have done so when playing rugger in kiwiland, is to face up to it and psych yourself up.
    I didn't notice any racism in the article. That's just a cop out when you can't reasonably refute what is being stated. Most cultures have their traditions and they are usually respected. But most of them pick an appropriate time to showcase them and don't get offended if others don't feel a need to have them shoved in their faces over and over again just before kick-off.

I'm unaware that any organisation is pushing for any of these performances to be removed. My take is that the challenge could just as easily be thrown down before the national anthems. I'd be interested in any reasons you could give as to why that should not be the case.

Any team who feels they should face the Haka is free to do just that as the Wallabies usually do. Just like you did in your playing days, respect away, Los Lobos seemed to love it.

vCash
    Note no one is going on about the Aussies belting out Matilda pre test as is the fashion at least in Sydney even with Williamson murdering it.
    Neither is anyone insisting that the All Blacks join in with the chorus!

C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    If I may leap in with both feet in mouth

First up I am a big believer in rugby tradition and I do not have an issue with the Haka known is Kamate (please excuse the spelling if I got it wrong).

But lets be honest about a few things. I have had the pleasure of going to 4 Bledisloe Cup Matches in Sydney, and if you can honestly sit there and say that the All Black Squad doesnt get "pumped up" by doing the Haka you are all deadset kidding yourselves. Hell the Kiwis in the crowd get pumped up by the Haka.

But I am sorry I do not see how a "Haka" that was deliberately "choreographed" for the All Blacks is tradition or can be called tradition.

Again I have no desire to upset Jethro, Seldom or any of the other great Kiwi TWF members, this is just how I see it.

To clear up a couple of other things that were brought up

Waltzing Matilda originally came about by a group of Aussies that were inspired in to song whilst in a corner of the Stadium at Wellington in 1998 (I think) during a Bledisloe Cup match when the Wallabies were behind, the Team heard the singing, they lifted and were able to win that match. ARU jumped all over it and flogged it like a dead horse.

Willie Mason of Mungo Ball here in Sydney created an uproar when he was laughing during the New Zealand Mungo Ball teams Haka. After the match Willie is said to have been laughing at a NZ player who was born in Australia and had claimed to have a NZ grandmother. Or something like that.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Just watch Tonga, Samoa and Fiji do their respective challenges. No new haka stuff here. I think the All Black haka is losing its street cred. How do you invent a new haka and why? Isnt it based on tradition. I really dont know, but it seems more TV nowadays. If im wrong ill stand corrected.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2