Thread: Georgia's Ilia wants more

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Georgia's Ilia wants more

Perhaps a role to play for Australia "A"?

Georgia's Ilia wants more

2007-09-11 23:30:00

Georgia captain Ilia Zedginidze made a plea for more matches against better opposition in the wake of his team's 33-3 defeat to Argentina on Tuesday.
    Click here

The Georgians held the Pumas to just a 6-3 advantage in the first half, before the Pumas ran away with the match, and a bonus point, later in the game.

Zedginidze praised his team's commitment, and insisted that if Georgian rugby is to improve, his team must keep playing those sorts of matches.

"I think the first half was very good for us," he said.

"There were physical conditions, but our teams need more matches like this to help us get to a higher level.

"This Argentina team is a very tough team and a very hard team to play, and I wish them good luck for the next games."

But Zedginidze would not be drawn on whether he thought his team could beat Namibia and thus glean fourth spot, and a place at the high table for the next rugby World Cup in new Zealand.

"It is our objective to do our best and to give the best performances we can," he said.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    So far every match involving the "minnows" - I'm not counting that white flag waving rabble who laid down to the AB's - has produced an argument for keeping the 20 team format.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Ironically, you could argue the white flaggers aren't even "minnows" considering their inclusion in the 6N!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Ironically, you could argue the white flaggers aren't even "minnows" considering their inclusion in the 6N!
    That's why I didn't count them. That and the fact that they didn't fit my argumant.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    I think the dings cocked up big time. They have been playing reasonable footy for awhile. They obviously thought by turning their backs on the All Blacks was a smart move they have to remember where they are ranked and you would of thought they would come out all fired up and ready to go.
    Id suggest the minnows who have played so far would of probably stretched them or beaten them. They were average!

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Honestly, I am so OVER the haka and how you should or shouldn't behave!
    Yes I enjoy the spectacle, yes I enjoy the fact the it isn't generally the Captain who is deemed most worthy to lead it (I was told by someone that he who leads is supposedly the most "Royal" in the 22) and yes it has been part of the fabric of Union.
    But really, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't, either way the Kiwi's get to have their personal psych up session while the opposition get to cool off while they wait.
    The only way to been seen as acceptable to the hissing and fizzing tongue poking maniacs across the chalk is to quietly stand there and get shouted at!
    If you chose to focus on your game and pre-match discussions (ie a huddle ah la Italy) you are being disrespectful.
    If you wear your tracksuits so as not to cool down while the Kiwi's are doing advanced aerobics in front of you, then take a couple of moments to get undressed and loosen the limbs with a couple of quick tackles (ie Wallabies recently) your are accused of gamesmanship.
    If you actually have a crack back, as the custom actually allows for (not too subtly done recently by big Willy) you are in line to get shot.
    If you question the authenticity of white Kiwi's performing a sacred haka they will pull out the master blaster commercial version lately reserved for big game opposition and demonstrate how they are going to slash your throat in your sleep.
    And if you actually have the audacity of telling them they can't do it on the pitch then they will take this most sacred of challenges and issue it from that most terrifying of power positions, the changeroom!
    Why?
    Because it has long lost any sense of a traditional challenge and has become a marketing tool and personal psych up session for those performing it.
    If the IRB had any balls at all they would tell the NZRU they can only perform it at home matches or against fellow Pacific Island Nations.
    And yes I have the shits on for a totally unrelated reason and it feels good to rant!!!
    Stick that up your bot bots...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Now Samoas opening war dance is excellent!

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    And yes I have the shits on for a totally unrelated reason and it feels good to rant!!!
    Stick that up your bot bots...
    Top class rant - almost haka-ish in intensity.

But right on the money.

vCash
    I agree with Burgs - at least with the Samoans and Tongans (and Fiji?) doing their versions of the Haka, the majority of the team are that nationality. How many of the All Blacks are actually Maori? They should leave the haka to their Maori team - now that's an impressive haka when they do it

Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer