Thread: Feelgood stories keep coming

vCash

Feelgood stories keep coming

This is why i love RWC time....

Williams still smiling after cup debut
    (Rugby News Service) Tuesday 11 September 2007
    By Lucy Corry

PARIS, 11 September - Two days after he marked his IRB Rugby World Cup debut with a try and conversion against South Africa, the Samoa outside centre Gavin Williams is still feeling pretty pleased with himself.

His team may have lost 59-7, but the 27-year-old has a goalpost-wide grin.

"It was a great experience, it was just a pity we couldn't keep it going in the second half," he said on Tuesday.

"I've played a couple of Tests now but this was definitely a step up," he said. "It was quite a bit more nervewracking than games in the past."

Rugby has been part of Williams' life from an early age, which isn't surprising considering his father Bryan is a former All Black player and Samoa coach.

"There were always rugby balls around when I was a kid but I always just played for enjoyment. But in about 1995 or 1996 when it went professional I was about 15 or 16, and that was quite a key stage for me, that was when I thought I would like to make it a career."|

That decision has paid off - Williams trained as a physiotherapist but his professional rugby career has left little time for him to use his degree.

After the world cup he's heading to French club Dax, joining fellow team-mates Kane Thompson and Kasiano Lealamanua.

While he grew up in New Zealand and played for the under-21 All Blacks, Williams is extremely proud of his Samoan heritage.

"For all the Samoans, especially the ones born in New Zealand, you look towards the All Blacks first. But those of us with dual nationalities have another chance," he said.

"It's great in this team, it's not just a great rugby team but it's very cultural as well. Growing up in New Zealand and not spending too much time in Samoa, it's wonderful to learn about my father's culture and my ancestors. I'm a proud Kiwi and a proud Samoan."

While his parents weren't at Parc des Princes on Sunday, Williams is hoping they will make it to at least two of Samoa's pool games.

"Mum and Dad are coming over for the England and USA games, but after that they're leading a New Zealand supporters tour with the All Blacks, so if we make it to the quarter-finals there might be a few tugs on the old heart-strings."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Yay, i love feel good stories!! Keep 'em coming FR!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by frontrow
    "For all the Samoans, especially the ones born in New Zealand, you look towards the All Blacks first.
    A great story but I find the quote above a little sad at the same time.
    Surely the spirit shown by the other minnows as well demonstrates that home is where the heart is?
    I'm not firing up the age old debate, that can rest for the WC, I just find it sad that a Samoan would want to play for another nation over their own.
    If by the deeds of players such as Lima (or Serevi in 7s for Fiji) that changes then Samoa will certainly become a dominant force in World Rugby.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Surely the spirit shown by the other minnows as well demonstrates that home is where the heart is?
    Can't agree there, mate. Individuals' choice.

As I've reminded more than one Kiwi ( with a few beers under the belt and the chip wieghing on the shoulder)........ " If you wanna come over here to live, fine. But don't complain when your boys grow up to be Wallabies "

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Was referring more to the "All Samoans" aspect, ie not those who are born or raised in New Zealand shasta.
    I have no (well, only a little but as I said, let's not go there during the WC) problem with the eligibility issues etc, I just find it sad that born and bred Samoans would consider it less of an honour to play for their native land than for another country they find a way to become eligible to play for.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Was referring more to the "All Samoans" aspect, ie not those who are born or raised in New Zealand shasta.
    Yeah I can see that side too. Most of them seem to have the AB's as first choice, though. I suppose when you consider the fixtures the AB's get against what Samoa can secure, that's understandable. That's without considering earning potential.

I'm not sure here but I think Lome Fa'atau (sp?) is probably the only current player, who had a chance for AB selection, to put Samoa first.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah, I think he is probably the only real chance to have knocked it back.
    And he was New Zealand born according to the write up!
    With residency I imagine the Tuilagi boys and Semo Sititi would have made it through though.
    They are pretty special players, especially big Henry!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    NZ born Samoan Filipo Levi played for the Highlanders too before just signing with a Japanese Club.
    He's out with an injury though...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.