Thread: 4 weeks for Burger....

vCash

4 weeks for Burger....

Burger suspended for four matches
    (Rugby News Service) Wednesday 12 September 2007

PARIS, 12 September - Following a RWC 2007 judicial hearing the Judicial Officer (JO) Terry Willis upheld the citing complaint and determined that South Africa flanker Schalk Burger breached Law 10.4(e) and committed a dangerous tackle on Samoa scrum half Junior Polu during the South Africa v Samoa match on Sunday 9 September in Paris.

The player pleaded not guilty and alleged that contact occurred between the two players as he attempted to win possession. However, the JO determined that Burger executed a reckless and sloppy tackle that was high and dangerous whilst the opposing player was in the air and therefore in a vulnerable position.

The JO determined the offence to be at the mid range of seriousness. There were no aggravating circumstances. However, there were several mitigating factors including Burger's remorse in relation to the incident, his excellent conduct during the hearing and his good disciplinary record. During 34 Tests for South Africa, 42 Super 14 games and 22 Currie Cup games for his province he had never been before a disciplinary committee for such an offence.

The entry point for a mid range offence is six matches. However the JO decided in this case the suspension should be four matches in light of the mitigating factors.

The player has 48 hours in which to appeal the decision.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Four matches? Sounds a bit harsh for a dangerous tackle, especially in a 7-match tournament!!!! However, as I didn't see the incident I'll allow others more qualified than I to pass comment on the punishment (can't wait for Shaun's comments!!!)

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    This is actually a good thing because I didn't want Burger to get injured. Wikus van Heerden is playing well and will be able to do the job - until the finals.

vCash
    Interesting way to look at it goldmember, do you agree he deserves it...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    I reckon Paul Honniss should have been sited, not only for this decision but when he ruled a Samoan player off side when he reached back to pick up a ball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joblot
    I reckon Paul Honniss should have been sited, not only for this decision but when he ruled a Samoan player off side when he reached back to pick up a ball.
    I actually thought Honiss was improving until I saw that display. Guilty of only refereeing one side. Again. The Force have copped it from him more than once too.

But it is ironic that Burger should be suspended in such a big tournament. He is one a few ZA forwards that I credit with being a pretty clean player. At least in comparison to some of his colleagues.

vCash
    I watched the live game and I still don't know what everyone is talking about. I must have gotten up for that specific play or something.

But from the sounds of it he deserved to be punished... Didn't see the Vickery one either...

Did he deserve only half the punishment Burger got?

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Jess, I think the incident involved a high ball with the Samoan player going up for the ball (and catching it) and Burger coming in shortly after with a swinging arm across the Samoan's face/neck.

I think 4 matches was abit harsh for the offence, but I also think there was abit of malice (category: "mild") as Burger would have known in that split second that he didn't have a chance at catching the ball and therefore the swinging arm (not your typical "catching arm") was intended to cause a bit of grief.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by frontrow
    Interesting way to look at it goldmember, do you agree he deserves it...
    Burger should have got a yellow card and that would have been the end of it.