Thread: Cameron Shepherd gets the call up

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Cameron Shepherd gets the call up

Well done Shep, go well you deserve it

Dream call-up for Shepherd

By Peter Jenkins
    September 11, 2007

AN ANXIOUS Cameron Shepherd was sitting at home in Perth last night when he got the phone call that changed his life.

He knew he was in the mix to replace the injured Mark Gerrard in the Australia World Cup squad and had undergone a medical earlier in the day.

But he was on tenterhooks as he played the waiting game, watching the clock until his selection was confirmed at around 5pm.

"I'm just really looking forward to getting over there and being part of the whole experience," Shepherd said. "I'm ecstatic. I'm excited. I'm looking forward to it.

"I've been a little bit sad watching the game take place and not being part of it."

Selectors gave five-Test veteran Shepherd the nod over Lachie Turner, Clinton Schifcofske and Ryan Cross.

"In the end he was the obvious choice," said John Connolly.

"He has been part of the squad for the past 18 months and only injury put him out of contention. I feel incredibly sad for Mark Gerrard but this is an opportunity for Cameron."

Shepherd's selection ends five months of frustration for the outstanding utility back.

He was arguably the form Australian back during the Super 14 playing for the Western Force before damaging his posterior cruciate ligament against the Brumbies. That knee injury cruelled his participation in the entire domestic Test campaign.

"It's something that's been playing on my mind for the past couple of months," he said. "It has been a very trying time and it has been pretty upsetting watching and not being involved in it."

He decided against surgery which would have ruled him out for 12 months. Instead he worked on strengthening the muscles around the ligament.

When Shepherd came back for Australia A he was down on confidence, but for the Perth Spirit in the Mazda Australian Rugby Championship he was a standout and after five games is the top pointscorer with a total of 69.

"It will be a bit weird going back there now," he said.

Shepherd will hook up with the rest of the squad in Cardiff, but Connolly said he won't be considered for this Saturday's game.

Cameron Shepherd Called Into Wallabies Squad For RWC

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 2:59pm
    Sportal & ARU

Cameron Shepherd has declared he is elated to be part of the Wallabies squad after being chosen to replace the injured Mark Gerrard.

The Western Force winger left Perth on Tuesday bound for Cardiff, where Australia plays Wales on Saturday, but Shepherd has revealed that his excitement over making the squad has come with a few nervous moments.

"Just stoked mate," Shepherd told Sportal. "It's been a pretty crazy few months missing out on the squad and now being in, so I'm a little bit nervous but really excited about the opportunity."

However, before packing his bags for Wales and France, Shepherd became the victim of coach John Connolly, a renowned practical joker, when he received the all-important call-up on Monday.

"John called me about 5 o'clock yesterday afternoon and played a bit of a joke on me saying that he was calling all the people that didn't make it and just thanking them for their patience during this time," Shepherd revealed.

"I got a little bit upset and then he said: 'I'm just joking mate, you're not one of them and you're coming over to France'."

"It wasn't very nice of him but it settled me down and settled the nerves, and he just told me that he's looking forward to seeing me over there and I'll see him in Cardiff in a few days time."

Ironically a knee injury cost Shepherd a spot in the original touring party, and while he admitted feeling 'very sad' for the outgoing Mark Gerrard (knee), he also was grateful for the opportunity to be part of the Wallabies World Cup campaign.

"To miss out was really upsetting and something that took a while to get over but it's just a great feeling now that I can get over there and be part of it."

Shepherd is also confident his own knee can withstand the demands of tournament rugby.

"I think I'm pretty close to 100 per-cent now. It still pulls up a little sore after games but it's nothing I can't deal with and I'm training fully and I feel fit and I feel healthy so I'm ready to go."

Shepherd admitted to being unsure of what role Connolly wants him to play in France.

"There's a lot of great players still over there and I guess I'll just find out more when I arrive," Shepherd said.

"I've just got to work as hard as I can at training and if I do get an opportunity, then great and, if I don't, then it can't be helped."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Well earned call up, on his form. Hope his knee holds out for the whole tournament.

vCash
    about time

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    I reckon he'll play a reasonably big role if he can perform in his first opportunity on the field. He's too good to sit on the bench for the whole campaign and I'd be taking him over Huxley any day

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Go Sheps go!!!!

vCash
    Well done Sheps hope all goes well

vCash
    GO SHEPS!!

... naughty Knuckles....

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    Oh Knuckles... I'm all for having a laugh but that is just cruel. Poor Cam's heart must have been leaping and sinking all over the place.

But good to see the boss has a sense of humour.

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Good stuff Shep, glad to see justice has been served, I was gutted when I saw you go down in the Brumbies match, Hope you get to show them your true colours.

C'mon the

vCash
    Well done Sheps. However, I wonder if he's upto scratch at the moment. On Saturday, I saw a few flashes of his S14 form but not entirely convinced he's fully into gear. Having said that, I'm sure he'll get some game time (probably against Fiji) and put my doubts to rest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin
    I'm sure he'll get some game time (probably against Fiji) and put my doubts to rest.
    You betcha. He's come a long way from the very hesitant Sheps who turned out for Norths in the Shute Shield a couple of months ago. He'll be on fire when he gets out there in the Green & Gold. No worries!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I wonder whether he's bought a Lotto ticket, as his luck seems to be running.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Sickly Latham to kick on in Cardiff
    September 14, 2007

THE Wallabies medical staff are closely monitoring the fitness of Chris Latham, who is suffering from a virus. Although the fullback is expected to play against Wales in Cardiff on Saturday, his training this week has been restricted.

If Latham is forced out, Julian Huxley is his most likely replacement. However, Australia are desperate to use Latham's kicking game to destabilise the Welsh.

There is also uncertainty over whether Adam Ashley-Cooper will be available as a reserve, after he damaged his toe against Japan. Cameron Shepherd may be brought into the 22-man squad immediately, shortly after arriving in Cardiff as a replacement for Mark Gerrard.

Greg Growden

Last edited by AndyS; 14-09-07 at 11:35.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'm tipping Shep will be a walk up start for the next match to allow Latho to get refreshed.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.