Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Things Looking Good for Sheps...

vCash

Things Looking Good for Sheps...

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...276548968.html

Cameron Shepherd is set to be called up to the Wallabies World Cup squad after team officials confirmed that Mark Gerrard would return to Australia after twisting his knee in a tackle during Saturday's romp over Japan.

Gerrard was taken for MRI scans straight after the Wallabies thrashed Japan 91-3 in their group match at Stade de Gerland in Lyons.

While there were many happy faces in the Wallabies squad after the game, it was all mystery - and sheer pain - for Gerrard as the scans showed he had ruptured his medial knee ligament.

Gerrard, who will spend six to eight weeks in a brace, was at least grateful that he wouldn't require an operation. "It could have been a lot worse," he said. "Hopefully it will work out well in the next couple of months."

The sorry end to Gerrard's World Cup campaign was as abrupt as it was distressing. He came off the bench in the 67th minute for captain Stirling Mortlock and would have hoped to join in the festivities on a day the Wallabies scored 13 tries.

But two minutes later, and with his very first touch of the ball, he ruptured the medial ligament as he was smashed by the Japanese defence. Gerrard winced in agony as he was helped off the field by two Wallabies officials.

The results of the scans came through about two hours after the game.

Coach John Connolly said Gerrard was "devastated". He told Connolly that "he got hit in the [left] side and twisted" and that "he did hear a click" in his knee.

The decision on Gerrard's replacement will take several days to make, but Connolly strongly indicated Shepherd was a good chance to be called up because of his Test experience.

The versatile Western Force outside back can play fullback or wing and has earned five Test caps since making his Wallabies debut against England in Sydney in 2006.

Shepherd missed out on a place in the original 30-man squad picked after the Tri Nations, because of a leg injury. But he has since returned to playing in the Australian Rugby Championship for the Perth Spirit.

Connolly said selectors would first review the form of a shortlist of fullback candidates in the ARC before confirming the replacement for Gerrard.

"We have people on the shortlist back in Australia. We will check … ARC form first," he said. "I would probably think it would be Tuesday or Wednesday before we make any decision."

Asked who among the shadow squad based in Australia were most likely be asked to join the Wallabies in France, Connolly said there were "two or three" options. When pressed further, he said Shepherd, Lachlan Turner (Western Sydney Rams), Clinton Schifcofske (Ballymore Tornadoes) and Digby Ioane (Melbourne Rebels) were the strongest chances of boarding a flight for France, before he leaned towards Shepherd.

"And I have probably left a couple out there," Connolly said before ruling out Kurtley Beale, who has been a standout player at five-eighth for the Rams in the ARC.

"Kurtley would come into it if Steve [Larkham] or Berrick [Barnes] were injured," Connolly said. "It will be the best person who fits in - having an advantage of being with the team, and in Cameron Shepherd's case he has [that]," he said. "We will take a couple of days to make a decision, but more than likely we will go with experience."

Connolly said all members of the Wallabies shadow squad were on notice they could be called up at any time. He added that the Wallabies selectors had reviewed videos of the first three rounds of the ARC before Gerrard's setback.

"But we have don't the last two [rounds]," he said.

The only other injury concerns from the opening match were minor. Winger Adam Ashley-Cooper came off because of a bruised big toe, and inside-centre Matt Giteau complained of a sore neck.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I made Happy sad...

vCash
    I personally don't think Sheps has been playing at an international standard lately, his super 14 form was far better than his arc form, but if he's the best we've got, then good for him getting the call up.

vCash
    Perhaps I'm looking at him through rose coloured lenses (or however that saying goes)

But I think he's sensational and he's shown some top notch form in the ARC. Granted he hasn't been on fire the whole tournament but he's pure class.

Can make something happen out of nothing.

Plus he's a force boy! And we all like to see Force boys do well!

Right Sage?

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    I didn't say anything against him for playing for a western team. Just pointing out I think his form is down from what we've seen it can be.

He should have been in the squad ahead of Gerrard and Mitchell based on super 14 form anyway.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Actually agree Sage.
    He was a no-brainer on S14 form pre-injury but I don't think he has returned to that level.
    From the matches I have watched, I have been most impressed with Lachie Turner in that Wing/Fullback combination role.
    For the Rams match yesterday there was footage of Holmes, Beale and Turner walking back and talking after a try.
    My immediate thought was, "We'll be seeing a fair bit of them doing that in green and gold in coming years!"
    Will try and get a still of it when I get my DVD, would make a good photo to look back at in the future.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    For the Rams match yesterday there was footage of Holmes, Beale and Turner walking back and talking after a try.
    My immediate thought was, "We'll be seeing a fair bit of them doing that in green and gold in coming years!"
    Agreed, the 3 of them have been magic to watch.

vCash
    Totally agreed guys but as we've seen, Knuckles doesn't like taking risks on the young'uns. In fact i'm pretty suprised Berrick got a call up. Sheps has the big game time and given that we've already started the cup and there's little time to slot in, having Sheps would be a smart move. He's played with a lot of the boys before, and more importantly played with the force boys like Mitchell and Stanners and Gits who will all probably be in that back line at some point.

Agreed though, he hasn't been on form and it concerns me that knuckles is basing his decision on the first three ARC matches. I think its only been in the last 2 that he's actually started to come back into form...plus i wonder how that knee is...it was fairly heavily strapped on Sat. Knuckles isn't going to want a replacement who has a dodgy knee

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Hmm word on the street is most likely Sheps, but Knuckles wants to check out Digby's ARC form first

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    I think his past experience will get him in. Although from a Spirit point of view I would prefer them top pick Turner.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna
    Totally agreed guys but as we've seen, Knuckles doesn't like taking risks on the young'uns. In fact i'm pretty suprised Berrick got a call up.
    Hmm, yeah that's a very good point actually.

vCash
    Digby? Strewth....I'd have thought that Knuckles would want someone who could hold onto the ball in contact & run in straight lines!!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Totally left field, but give Shitboxy a go, he's a good kicker, defender and kick returner plus the coupe-day-grass, he's a QLDer, so he must be very high on Knuckles agenda.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook
    Totally left field, but give Shitboxy a go, he's a good kicker, defender and kick returner plus the coupe-day-grass, he's a QLDer, so he must be very high on Knuckles agenda.
    Well i was also considering nominating myself but i realised i wasn't a queenslander....or male for that matter....

vCash
    Put yourself down for coaching the Wallabies though Jehna, I mean, you would have to be better than Eddie's recent efforts.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook
    Put yourself down for coaching the Wallabies though Jehna, I mean, you would have to be better than Eddie's recent efforts.
    Mmm that's an idea....or maybe i could be a tighthead prop....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast