Thread: WAKE UP Wales!!!!

vCash

WAKE UP Wales!!!!

Wales 42 Canada 17

Wales forgot to set thier alarm for this match, letting Canada dictate terms for almost the first hour of this match, read on....

NANTES: Wales had to call on the experience of captain Gareth Thomas and Stephen Jones coming off the bench on Sunday to repel Canada and record a 42-17 victory in the second group B match at La Beaujoire on Sunday.

Canada were 17-9 ahead close to the hour after three unanswered tries before Wales at last showed some true attacking flair. Wing Shane Williams went over twice in a spell of total Welsh dominance midway through the second half and Jones converted all but one of the five Welsh tries.

The Welsh fight-back began with centre Sonny Parker touching down near the posts after a break went right then left, disorientating the defence. Jones, on from the 50th minute for James Hook, converted to put the Welsh one point behind.

They went ahead when Canada's Ander Munro fumbled a kick out of defence under the posts and Alun-Wyn Jones went over for a try.

Williams's brace, both at the end of movements involving penetrating runs by substitute fullback Thomas, was followed by another try by replacement back-row forward Colin Charvis, another member of the Welsh old guard.

Canada finished on a strong note, twice pinning the Welsh on their line in the final minutes but unable to breach it and add to their three tries. Canada had led 12-9 at half-time following following an 80-metre intercept try by centre Craig Culpan four minutes before the interval.

- Elsewhere, Argentina's upset of France deserves the reward of admission into an expanded Tri Nations, Australian Rugby Union supremo John O'Neill has said.

But O'Neill confirmed it could not occur until 2011 at the earliest, when the SANZAR broadcasting deal expires.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    It was like watching a new team when Wales made the changes early in the second half. Big concern for them i should think. I was well impressed with the skills and fitness of the Canadians. Their capatain was very deserving of the man of the match award as he was fanatstic!

Great stuff by the Canadians. This may be the scare that Wales needs to bring them up!

Just happy to be here

vCash
    What the hell is going on with these teams that are supposed to be a shoe in? From what i've seen, Australia and NZ are the only teams to have played well...

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna
    What the hell is going on with these teams that are supposed to be a shoe in? From what i've seen, Australia and NZ are the only teams to have played well...
    I wouldn't consider the Wales v Canada game one that was supposed to be a shoe in. Read any of the preview magazines or write ups before the game and most of them said pretty much exactly what would happen. Canada would give it a hard go but that Wales was probably just too good for them.

I don't think any of the results so far have been that strange. England and Ireland probably could have put more points on the board, but I don't think they should be written off. After all, a win is a win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gustafsl
    After all, a win is a win.
    I'm not sure i agree with that....not at this stage and with these games. You're looking at testing form and plays not winning...you know you can win against these teams. I mean if you look at it on that basis then the only upset has been the pumas. But there are more concerns flying around about team form than that atm.

Last edited by Jehna; 10-09-07 at 16:50.
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    have to agree with Jehna. top teams should be running plays and routines against the "minnows". Thats what lead to Australias high score and flawless defence. You can bet the ABs got a bollocking for their 2nd half performance and going into "sevens" mode.
    Ill discipline, not sticking to game plans, in early rounds can be costly in elimination rounds.

vCash
    Northern Hemo teams are struggling. Could it be the heat? If it is, they need to get out of the kitchen.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    HeaRt....