Thread: los Pumas Magnifique!!! 17-12

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

los Pumas Magnifique!!! 17-12

los Pumas Magnifique!!! 17-12

Pumas shock the world

From staff reporters
    September 08, 2007

ARGENTINA defeated France 17-12 in the opening match of the Rugby World Cup in Paris, causing the shock result sadly absent from previous tournaments.

France 12 (9)
    David Skrela (4pg)

Argentina 17 (17)
    Try: Ignacio Corleto
    Penalty Goals: Felipe Contepomi (4pg)

- More to follow

In a professional display that may well mark the coming of age for Argentinian Rugby Argentina ground out a remarkable victory over World Cup Hosts France.
    Admittedly I couldn't stay awake during most of the first half but what I saw when the coffee finally kicked in was an incredibly hard hitting Pumas Forward pack in the last line of defence and in turning defence into deep attack.
    The style of the South Americans was very much to let the opposition have the ball and during the second half they rarely went more than a couple of phases of Backs ball.
    The Cup Fixtures now definitely work in los Pumas favour as they now have Namibia and Georgia to get more confidence in their Backs and a hit out for their Forwards respectively before entering into the final Pool match against Ireland knowing exactly what is required of them.
    Without getting too far ahead of ourselves, Argentina now loom as a very possible Semi Final chance, if they can top Pool D, as they will play either Scotland or Italy as the second placed Pool C team.
    While it will be devastating for the Hosts, this is exactly the result that this years Tournament required to get proceedings started on a positive footing.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Burgs; 08-09-07 at 05:19.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Potentially bad news for the All Blacks come finals time and not great for Ireland to progress past pool stage.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash

Pumas down Les Bleus 17 to 12

A great result for world rugby.

tome que usted ajo que ronza fondlers de perro

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Pumas ruin France's Cup party

Argentina upset World Cup hosts France 17-12 in the tournament's opening match at the Stade de France in Paris this morning.

A runaway try from full back Ignacio Corleto after an interception helped the Pumas to a 17-9 half-time lead.

Taking full advantage of a nervous, error-ridden French performance they held on after the interval to record a fifth win in their last six matches over the home team.

France had their chances in the second half but fly half David Skrela and his replacement Frederic Michalak both missed easy penalties.

- Reuters

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    The French made the mistake of taking Los Pumas on upfront and paid the price. Though considering the inept backline out there tonite they didn't have many options to be honest.

France are really going to need a win against Ireland, and even then they may find themselves facing the MiBs in Cardiff. Who organises these things!

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Once again the French are polarised by an early lead. Great stuff by Argentina. I wonder if Bernard Laporte's job as French Sports Minister following the RWC will still be there if France lose against Ireland. It couldn't happen to a nicer coach!

Come on Ireland!!!!!!!!!!!

Just happy to be here

vCash
    I fell asleep late in the second half, but what i saw of the argies forwards determination and the backs will to run and also use of the high ball told me an upset was on the cards, well done Argentina, impressive first up effort and i am sure a few teams out there are reassessing things right now, especially the French...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    I saw about 20 mins of the game wen i got up for work, Argentina looked good and this is why the tri-nations should be expanded

vCash
    Just watching a replay of the match this morning and the Argentinians were certainly up for it a lot more than the French - they seemed to want it more. This, coupled with some fairly inept French play contributed to this result. However, it was a pretty dour affair with the Argentinians pretty lucky to score their try (intercept when the French looked dangerous in attack).

Unfortunately, I have to say that the standard of refereeing (English referee) was APPALLING - he missed numerous knock-ons, played inconsistent amounts of advantage, allowed significant spoiling at the breakdown........in fact, I reckon he's been spending too long with the England team as their mediocrity seem have rubbed off onto him.

Argentina: A-
    France: B-
    Referee: C-

Oh, and one other thing......far too many drop goal attempts by the Argentinians (right from the first whistle)......hope this isn't an indication of things to come in this tournament.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Argentina upsets France

Story by Sportal for the ARU
    Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 07:16 AM (AEST)
    PA Sport

Host nation France suffered a chronic case of stage fright as Argentina recorded a stunning World Cup upset on the tournament's opening night, running out 17-12 winners.

The Pumas blew Pool D wide open by ruining Les Bleus' planned Stade de France party through a performance built on quality, bravery and discipline.

Full-back Ignacio Corleto, who plays his club rugby in Paris with Stade Francais, scored a spectacular first-half interception try. And Felipe Contepomi, playing in the centre alongside his brother Manuel, kicked four penalties as Argentina built a 17-9 interval lead.

France managed four David Skrela penalties in reply, yet one of the World Cup favourites now effectively face pool stage elimination if they lose to Ireland in two weeks' time.

Argentina failed to score after the 34th minute, and although France were guilty of some dreadful handling and kicking errors, the Pumas thoroughly deserved the greatest victory in their Test history.

Skipper Agustin Pichot, a club colleague of Corleto's, led from the front, while Argentina's revered forwards ensured France could never establish momentum up-front.

Centre Damien Traille and wing Aurelien Rougerie proved France's biggest attacking threats, yet nerves gripped the French performance as Argentina kept their shape and composure after Corleto's try - created when wing Horacio Agulla intercepted a Remy Martin pass - hoisted them 14-3 in front.

A capacity crowd at the Stade de France did its utmost to lift their heroes out of the doldrums, but not even the 60th minute arrival of impact substitute Sebastien Chabal could make a difference.

Contepomi's majestic goalkicking was punctuated by a superb Corleto try, and it proved a damaging psychological blow for the French.

Although three Skrela penalties kept them in touch - Skrela and substitute Frederic Michalak both missed easy chances later in the action - Argentina were good value for an eight-point interval lead that set the platform for a spectacular win.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight

Oh, and one other thing......far too many drop goal attempts by the Argentinians (right from the first whistle)......hope this isn't an indication of things to come in this tournament.
    7 drop goal attemps in the game....2 from the Argies within the first 3 minutes..

vCash
    Go pumas!! Hopefully this is a sign of things to come in the tournament
    Imagine if France don't make it out of the pool stages

I love rugby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    RWC: Sacre bleu pour Les Bleus

by Spiro Zavos - Today c/o The Roar
    France 12 - Argentina 17.

At the end of the frenetic and high-octane build-up in the Stade de France for the opening match of the 2007 Rugby World Cup tournament between France and Argentina, the TV announcers yelled out: ‘Quelle emotion.’ What emotion! The implication was that the feverish beating of the drums, the tumbling, colourful activity of the opening ceremony and the singing and roaring of the crowd, would inspier France, the first non-English-speaking host of the RWC, to a convincing victory.

But what we had was a fantastic rugby match marked by ferocious tackling by both sides, particularly the Argentinians, and savage mauling. France let the occasion get to them. Two easy but crucial penalties were missed. France played nervously and stupidly. The nerves revealed themselves with dropped passes, miskicked balls, the frequent handling mistakes and towards the end of the match when it became obvious that the game was lost the players started to shout angrily at each other.

The stupidity came with the game plan that literally played into the hands of the Pumas. Instead of playing for position and then moving the ball wide to expose the somewhat trotting pace of the Pumas tight five, France concentrated on bashing the ball up in one-off charges that were easily thwarted. Even after half-time when Bernard Laporte had the time to change the tactics, France kept to its tight game plan.

The Pumas played their traditional game of physical, driving forward play and high balls for the French to drop. On the one occasion when they did provide France with a turn-over France spoilt an easy chance to score a try when a lazy pass was intercepted and Ignacio Corleto, one of four Pumas playing for Stade Francais at the Stade de France, scorched away for the only - and the winning - try of the match.

My first note of the match recorded the fact that the Pumas came out on to the field in their jerseys, unlike France which wore jackets even though the night was a humid one. The All Blacks also come out in jerseys, sans tracksuits, and I always think that this is a sign to the opposition that they mean business.

Another note as the teams came back on the field recorded the fact that France spilled out first in a virtual file while the Pumas bunched together, you could see them organising the grouping, to present themselves to their opponents as a team.

John Eales rather controversially before the match told reporters that he didn’t rate the French side and that they might be lucky to make the quarter-finals. This startling prediction could well come true. France have to beat Ireland to stay in the tournament.

France now must confront the fact that no team that has lost a pool match has ever gone on to win the RWC tournament. England were defeated by NZ in 1991 and went on to play in the final only to be defeated by Australia. But France will probably have to defeat Ireland just to make the quarter-finals.

Sacre bleu for Les Bleus!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer
    Once again the French are polarised by an early lead. Great stuff by Argentina. I wonder if Bernard Laporte's job as French Sports Minister following the RWC will still be there if France lose against Ireland. It couldn't happen to a nicer coach!

Come on Ireland!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just reading through the views on a kiwi forum. Feeling over there is Ireland will have Argentina covered and France will down Ireland. So points differential maybe decides the Pool (assuming they all roger the other two teams and bonus points don't come into play).

Feeling in Kiwiland is they would rather face France in Cardiff than in a final in France.

vCash
    Always knew Argentina had it in them. I think in a previous thread I said I would put my money on the Pumas as the suprise package/dark horse for the RWC. Great for world rugby; but would definetly like to see France progress for the sake of the RWC.

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast