Thread: ELVs or Not?

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

ELVs or Not?

Not sure if it is the quality of the contest, but after watching a number of ARC games with the ELVs, and refreshing my memory with non ELV play during RWC games, I must say I prefer watching non-ELV games.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I believe some of the ELV's will evntually make into the real game, one for instance I think should be in know is a 10 metre penatly for throwing the ball away instead of leaving it on the ground or handing to the opposition. Scotty Fava got caught in an ARC match.

Most of the others I'll give a chnace for all involved (players, officials and fans) to get used to.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    From

http://www.thewholeforce.com/showthread.php?t=9871

Quote Originally Posted by shasta
    The way the Argies in particular have moved forward but also Canada & USA has also led me to question whether the ELV's should be introduced any time soon, much as I like most of them. The main area these teams are falling short is in the professional set-ups compared to the leading teams. They don't lack committment or courage. Just skills development and fitness. The ELV's may have the potential to put them back to square 1.

vCash
    I question whether pulling a maul down is safe. I have enjoyed the awarding of free kicks rather than a penalty in some instances. If your on your feet I think you have rights to the ball.
    How many times have us poor piggies been pinged for doing all the hard work as a tackler in a ruck? I must admit it does look like a dog's breakfast with the ELV at the contest (I went to a course, we must call it contest not breakdown). I haven't really seen nor heard what the players make of the changes.

vCash
    I'm not sure.
    The line-outs and rucks seem to be a bit of a mess in ELV games, but I don't know whether that's just ARC team inexperience with them, or the nature of the play introduced by the ELV. I'm happy to defer to the opinions and judgements of those older and/or wiser, however.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr
    is a 10 metre penatly for throwing the ball away instead of leaving it on the ground or handing to the opposition
    Isn't this the case anyway, not just in ELV? We used to get pinged for that (not that we did it often......or get in the way of the gobby half-back trying to get the ball quickly......)!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Isn't this the case anyway, not just in ELV? We used to get pinged for that (not that we did it often......or get in the way of the gobby half-back trying to get the ball quickly......)!!!
    Just don't get caught doing it... erm, not that i ever did that...

Don't mind most of the ELVs, I think the rucks laws need a slight adjustment and the refs still need to police it so players that end up in an offside position no longer compete.

I'm still not sure on this collapsing the maul dealio either, i don't care if they say it's safe, being in a collapsing maul is no picnic.

The rest of them I think are pretty damn good.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    A collapsed maul cost me a knee...I'm not a fan of that ELV

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I escaped with a sprained knee against Kings this year from a collapsed maul, should have been much much worse

vCash
    I think I've made my thoughts known on various threads regarding ELVs but I'm quite happy to share my assessment of these laws again.

I think most of the laws achieve their desired outcomes. The short arm penalties make the game faster, in a sense, and force teams to keep the ball in-field which I think is a positive. What I would like to see is abit more thought put into the short-arm penalty tactics and we are seeing some of this, with teams now opting for scrums (if they are 5m from the try line).

I also like the line-out variation where teams can nominate how many to lineup without. I always thought it a petty law to penalise the defending team for not matching up the numbers.

My main reservations are, like just about everyone else, the ruck rule and the maul rule. First, the ruck rule seems just as chaotic, if not more, as the old rule. I think the rule states that only those on their feet can handle the ball, yet when you watch some of the rucks, technically no one seems to be on their feet yet it is apparent there are hands all over the ball. The refs don't seem too confident with the rule either and aren't consistent (possibly under instruction to "let the game flow").

Second, the maul rule. Mauling is a fundamental and integral component of rugby union. Allowing the collapsing of mauls would not only reduce the tactical options for forwards and further dilute the role of the forward but also steer us towards the Leaguies (and I think we would prefer to remain distinctly different).

Last edited by KenyaQuin; 12-09-07 at 13:30.