Thread: what do you mean happy!!!

vCash

what do you mean happy!!!

today i whatched passing at feet, poor ball retention in the takle, but still +65% possetion, leading to no tries (up to half time), slow distribution from the break down, loads of kickin on a firm dry pitch, arguing with the reff, not playing the whistle!!!.... and at half time the coatch said "i'm pretty happy...."

sorry i must be going deaf (and i obviously can not lip read)... i guess a win is a win.. but.. am i being too hard..???

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    He was happy he had 15 players on the field...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah, the Spirit came into this as favourites and dropped the last 2 and after the pressure that comes with I was happy they were ahead at half time. It's always nice to go for a run at a try with a penalty but the fact remains you have to just get the score-board ticking over. Regretfully beggars can't be choosers.

vCash
    I didn't care that it was an ugly win. The Rays wanted to keep giving up penalties and Sheps was on song with the boot, take the penalties (21 points worth of penalties to be exact), hard to argue with that strategy.

Would have been nice to see some more tries but people don't remember how you won, only that you won.

I am a wee bit concerned that the spirit seem to be the only team not embracing these new laws, but that'll come with time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagerian
    I am a wee bit concerned that the spirit seem to be the only team not embracing these new laws, but that'll come with time.
    Maybe that's because they're banking on some of the ridiculous new ruck/maul laws not being introduced on a permanent basis and therefore when all rugby reverts back to the 'current' rules they'll be in a better position compared to the other Aussie players in Super 14!!!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Sorry mate, that makes no sense to me.. They are the laws for this comp.. If you don't take advantage of them, you'll lose.

vCash
    quite so... i'm wondering if the responsability for that lies with the bloke who was happy

the "spirited force" do not seem to be applying the science of rugby correctly.. questions need to be asked about why this is...

vCash
    Sorry mate, that makes no sense to me.. They are the laws for this comp.. If you don't take advantage of them, you'll lose.
    Plus, the seemingly accepted tactic for embracing the new breakdown laws at this time is vigorous counter rucking. Canterbury has adequately shown the folly of that one haven't they.

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Forgive me if I am mistaken, but didn't Sydney and Brisbane club rugby use some of these new laws in this years comp? If so, shouldn't all of the Eastern States teams be a little bit more clued in initially at what the go is: they've played with some of them and they've been reffed by some of the same refs with these laws. On the other hand very few (if any) of the Spirit players have played any form of club rugby involving the new laws. Indeed, it also means that some of the other coaches (but definitely not John Mulvihil) will have experience coaching a side with the new laws.

Now to me that says it will take a few weeks, at least, to get a handle on it all. Of course I am sure we will too, and we will be in fine form by the end of the tournament and we win it by 17 tries.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Yes, but my understanding is that they only trialled the various line-out and offside laws. I don't think they trialled the breakdown laws, which is where the problem seems to lie.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I am mistaken then, but they did play by the rule of less penalties and more quick taps did they not? I could swear I read that at least. That is definitely something you would have to get used to- quick play off a quick tap and supporting at the resultant breakdown which I believe was a bit of an issue. For the Spirit if they are being lazy and not using the breakdown to full effect they probably are a bit down on the fitness required for repeated quick tap attacks. At least with a penalty you get a rest for a while. I don't know though, I hate to make excuses.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I think you are right about the taps - I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the eastern club scene, but everyone was saying the game was faster with more running.