Thread: Mitchell ready to answer the call

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Mitchell ready to answer the call

Mitchell ready to answer the call

Story by Sportal for the ARU
    Monday, August 27, 2007 - 16:55 PM (AEST)

Wallabies winger Drew Mitchell is determined to make the most of his opportunities when the World Cup gets underway in France next month.

Mitchell was dropped from the Wallabies' starting line-up following their narrow Tri-Nations loss to South Africa in Cape Town but returned for the Bledisloe Cup decider against New Zealand when injuries forced a backline reshuffle.

The 23-year-old faces a tough challenge if he is to unseat Adam Ashley-Cooper on the left wing but the talented Mitchell insisted he would continue to work on his game in a bid to make his mark on rugby's biggest stage.

"To be honest I just want to make a contribution, obviously I want to go over there and I want to play so if I get that opportunity to play I really want to make sure I do well and contribute as I said in a positive manner," Mitchell said.

"There's always things to tighten up and to eradicate out of my game; I've been reasonably happy (with my form) but I'm always still looking to improve."

Mitchell, who made his Wallabies debut against South Africa in 2005, believes several teams will be in the hunt come the knockout stages of the tournament.

"There's a number of teams that can really put it together and it's just a matter of making sure you do your homework going into the game and hopefully come up with a good game plan to get on top of them," he said.

"Obviously France are going to be very tough to play and also to beat at home, they're a strong side."

"Wales will also be tough in our pool game being a game we're playing at Cardiff at Millennium Stadium will also be a tough ask."

"England (and) all these sort of teams can really come up with something and really put it together (and) Ireland have been playing some good football as well," Mitchell said.

Meanwhile, the Western Force fullback expressed his surprise at recent reports of discontent amongst senior Force players, including Wallabies team-mate Matt Giteau, insisting he had not witnessed any signs of instability in the West.

"I think if you're around that environment you'd know that it's one where it's a really tight-knit group," Mitchell said.

"I think if you ask the guys individually everyone's really keen to stay and actually really loves it and enjoys it over there," he said.

The Wallabies are continuing preparations in Portugal ahead of their opening Pool B match against Japan in Lyon on September 8.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Aww man i love Mitchell. He's totally underrated. I hope he gets some good game time....get rid of freaking tuquiri...grrr

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."