Thread: Wales rocked by World Cup cash row

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Wales rocked by World Cup cash row

Why did they wait till now to raise this, perhaps they know they now have the WRU by the balls?
    I know there will be a pro argument for the Clubs but this kind of behaviour isn't my cup of tea

Wales rocked by World Cup cash row

August 25, 2007 - 6:06PM

Welsh rugby was plunged into a financial row today, just two weeks before Gareth Jenkins' team open their World Cup campaign in a pool which includes Australia.

Wales' four regional teams - Neath-Swansea Ospreys, Cardiff Blues, Llanelli Scarlets and the Newport-Gwent Dragons - have met with the Welsh Rugby Union (WRU) seeking compensation of almost one million pounds ($A2.45 million) for the loss of their leading players for the duration of the World Cup.

But the regions, who want 30,000 pounds ($A73,550) per player involved in the seven-week tournament, have been told they will be getting nothing.

In protest, the clubs could withdraw the likes of James Hook, Tom Shanklin, Dwayne Peel and Kevin Morgan from the World Cup squad although they accept such a controversial 11th-hour move would cause a public backlash.

A newspaper reported that the WRU's chief executive Roger Lewis argued it would be unfair to pay such a hefty sum to the regions at the expense of the rest of Welsh rugby.

Ospreys joint managing director Mike Cuddy said: "We are asking for help, but, at the moment, we have not got any from the WRU.

"I just hope that sense will prevail and that talks with the Union can continue about compensation.

"We have had an amicable rapport with the WRU for the last 10 months and want that to continue. It would be a shame if that was to change. Time is of the essence and we don't want to rock the boat with the World Cup being so close.

"Nevertheless, we are disappointed with this decision and I would urge the WRU to reconsider."

In an official statement last night, Lewis said: "The incredible disappointment we feel over the attitude and actions of the four regions in going public with details of our private discussions is tempered by our determination to stand firm on this issue for the sake of Welsh rugby as a whole.

"We are saddened that on the eve of the World Cup the four regions have adopted this approach and have put unnecessary pressure on Wales' build-up.

"The four regions have been demanding nearly a million pounds in compensation for releasing their players to pull on the red jersey of Wales in the greatest rugby tournament in the world.

"The Welsh Rugby Union is saying a firm and decisive 'no' to this demand. We are saying no because it would not be fair to the rest of Welsh rugby to give such an enormous sum to four regions who already receive large and generous sums from the WRU."

AFP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    this is stupid, the clubs are greedy.

solution: fine heres 1 million pounds but next years allocation to the teams will be cut down by 1 million pounds

vCash
    Surely it comes as no surprise regarding when the matches were going to be or who realistically was going to be in the squad. As all the players don't come from the same team, every team is disadvantaged. Why are they running the domestic competition when the RWC is on anyway?

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    "I just hope that sense will prevail and that talks with the Union can continue about compensation.

"We have had an amicable rapport with the WRU for the last 10 months and want that to continue. It would be a shame if that was to change. Time is of the essence and we don't want to rock the boat with the World Cup being so close.

"Nevertheless, we are disappointed with this decision and I would urge the WRU to reconsider."

Bullsh*t, you are a money grubber, and are tainting Welsh rugby as a whole, and you know the timing is obvious to get the biggest coverage to create controversy, and you are also tainting these players as well, who are honoured to play in the mighty Red jumper for Wales....Disgusting...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Exactly how I read it too FR, they aren't in this to sit around a table and draw up any type of compromise.
    They have set their position and (for them) it's "WRU pay up or there will be consequences".
    It disgusts me in life so there is no reason I know of that it shouldn't disgust me in sport...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.