Thread: Demoting Gregan was one tough call

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Demoting Gregan was one tough call

By Peter Badel
    August 19, 2007
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23217,00.html

AUSTRALIA coach John Connolly has revealed that stripping George Gregan of the Test captaincy ranked among the toughest decisions of his career.
    Gregan's glittering 58-Test run as Australia skipper came to an end last month, when Connolly asked Stirling Mortlock to lead the Wallabies to France.
    Connolly said Gregan's grace and dignity in accepting the decision proved he had put the Wallabies' success above personal glory.

Gregan would have surpassed England centre Will Carling's record of 59 Tests had he led the Wallabies at the World Cup.

"George not going on tour (to Europe) last year opened the door for Stirling, I guess," Connolly said.

"Stirling has led from the front on the field. It was difficult. George will be remembered as one of our greatest. He'll finish with 140-odd Tests - that's phenomenal when you consider John Eales had around 80. He's a tremendous leader.

"We made a conscious decision this year to broaden our leadership base. Rocky Elsom, George Smith, Phil Waugh and George all have regular meetings and input on the team.

"George is a superb team man. Whatever you ask him to do is not a problem. He's known Stirling for a long time and that helped.
    "We communicated quite regularly, I went down the road with him on where he was at the whole time.
    "When I said we'd make Stirling captain, he was fine with it. George said, 'that's not a problem with me, as long as we win the World Cup'.
    "I've only got to know George for the last two years but in thattime he's always been about the team. He's never said it's about me. He's a credit to the Wallabies."

Connolly said the Wallabies couldn't wait to reach French soil after the Matt Dunning/Lote Tuqiri affair, and reports of a rift among coaching staff.
    "Some of the stuff you read are beat-ups and absolute rubbish," Connolly said. "Two of my assistants, Michael Foley and Scott Johnson, returned from overseas last year. We changed the team dramatically. We needed to improve our scrum and lineout quickly.

"Generally, things have been smooth. Different views have been canvassed and there have been times when push has come to shove and we have voted on it.

"Last year was a hard year, but this year has been very smooth. Some of the stuff that I have read, I wonder if I'm part of the same Wallabies team."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    A tough call...

Was a stupid call too John!

I made Happy sad...

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    No Jess, wasn't Connelys call really. Gregan had indicated prior to John coming on board that - like the Brumbies, he wanted to step back a bit. As a true leader of men, he already knew that it was time to start preparing the next generation.
    Plus, it allowed him to concentrate on his game (which incidentaly has improved)

George again showd himself to be a true-rugby man, team first; result second; concentrate on my own job.

We just need another 30 or so with that attitude to lift 'Old Bill' again.

vCash
    I have to admit Jess I was totally cut when Greegs didn't get picked as captain...thought it was such an insult. But I was watching this rugby world cup show thing on Ch 10 on Sunday and they interviewed gregan about it all and he basically confirmed what i guess we already know. The Wallabies are so lucky atm in that they have a few very key and very experienced players that will direct play and make calls no matter who has the 'c' next to their name. Gregan is def one of those and always will be. I think you only have to watch one of the earlier games against Wales this year where Greegs came on at half time and just started shouting orders and directing players for about 5 mins straight. It was phenomenal to watch and consequently the whole game dynamic changed and we won... He will always play that role and the players respect him enough to listen.

What's more though, and Mortlock said it in the interview, is that whilst he's captain he's not out their to insist that everyone listens to him and only him. He's smart enough to take on board advice from players like Gregan, Larkham, Sharpe and even Gits now and use it to shape his decisions and calls as captain.

Finally, i think given that Gregan is retiring at the end of the year we really need to think beyond him. We need time to train a new captain and it is far better for it to occur whilst someone like Gregan is still playing and can teach others. We've seen how important it is to start thinking more towards the future now we've suddenly realised there's no one appropriate to replace george or bernie at the end of the year...i mean currently our option is giteau...which is awesome...i'm sure as wonderful as he is, even he can't play three positions at once...

So maybe it is about time for someone else to step up to the platform and to be honest, if greegs isn't going to captain, then i couldn't be happier for it to be mortlock. The man is a credit...someone who truly leads by example.

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    All true Jen and some good points, but in ten years time most will have forgotten all that and people will look at the records and wonder what happened, why the sports most capped player and second most capped Captain was "dropped" from the leadership leading into a World Cup.
    It will appear as a question mark over his career, without a footnote to explain, I believe he deserves (and has earnt) better than that.
    Would it ever have been floated that John Eales should have stepped down for his last few Tests to allow the next Captain to audition for the job?
    You are either the leader or you are not and I see this as a potential weakness in the Wallabies at it's most critical point in the four year cycle.
    The same was very evident last season with (love him or hate him, that's not the point here) Ben Cousins at the Eagles. Judd did the speeches, but Cousins was the on-field leader.
    For all he has done for his country over a remarkable career he deserves the right to lead the team out that last time and he deserves to be the one to accept the Cup if we are fortunate enough to win.
    There are many traditions attached to the symbolism of being a Captain that should not be overlooked, even in todays professional arena.
    To me it just looked totally wrong with Mortlock, the "leader of the leadership committee" going up to get the Mandela Plate while our "Captain" stood back with the team.
    I would suggest that the only reason it has a chance of working is purely because of the relationship of Mortlock to Gregan, most other candidates would start roses but blow up in short time.
    I like Mortlock and think he is becoming a good Captain, but he is no Gregan.

Right, that's off my chest

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    For all he has done for his country over a remarkable career he deserves the right to lead the team out that last time and he deserves to be the one to accept the Cup if we are fortunate enough to win.
    There are many traditions attached to the symbolism of being a Captain that should not be overlooked, even in todays professional arena.
    Totally see your point Burgs. Still makes me sad that Gregan has been dropped but I'm less perhaps angry(?) at the decision now.

I do also think that times are changing and the title of captain does not quite have the same effect as it used to. I think the Judd/Cousins thing is actually a perfect example of that. But still, it is a nice tradition and it seems perhaps a little pointless to name someone captain and have another player act as captain...if that's the way its going to work you have to ask why bother?

I would suggest that the only reason it has a chance of working is purely because of the relationship of Mortlock to Gregan, most other candidates would start roses but blow up in short time.
    Totally agree. I think the respect the players have for each other is phenomonal and that will mean that the team is not affected by who has the 'c' on their name on paper

I like Mortlock and think he is becoming a good Captain, but he is no Gregan.
    No one will ever be like Gregan...but then again...i said the same about John Eales...so who knows what the future has in store for us

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."