Cooper keen to step up

Ben Dorries
August 22, 2007

TEENAGE flyhalf prodigy Quade Cooper is desperate to put a horror three months behind him with a surprise starting performance for East Coast Aces in Sunday's clash against Central Coast Rays.

With fellow young gun Ben Lucas almost certain to be ruled out with a corked thigh, the shackles will be released on Reds star Cooper, 19, who has played only cameo roles off the bench for the Aces this season.

Cooper sustained a knee cartilage injury in May, requiring arthroscopic surgery, but has confirmed he was excited about the prospect of playing a full game on Sunday.

"I simply can't wait," he said. "My knee has come a long way and I have really enjoyed the last few matches, even though I've only played 35 minutes or something.

"It will be a lot different playing an entire game on the weekend but I'm really looking forward to it."

Cooper played 11 games for the Reds in 2007. He encountered a big learning curve, often exhilarating in attack but also fragile in defence.

Aces coach John Boe insisted any defensive shortcomings from Cooper were not because of a lack of effort or intensity.

"Quade is a big strong lad and there is no lack of courage there," Boe said. "A lot of young players have some problems in defence, they just need to react a bit faster sometimes, but that is something that comes with experience.

"I am sure Quade will be fine. He has a lot of potential and we just need to harness that."