Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Do You Want A Rugby Stadium?

vCash
    Thanks Jehna - you have enlightened us - all though it does sound painful - I agree it will be down to big business which is a shame because Brizzo is right the real winner is Perth - with a rectangular stadium you get far more concerts not to mention the Force and Glory tourism dollars - circular stadiums of 65,000 aren't yet needed for anything other than AFL

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash

Thumbs up New Rectangular Stadium Proposal.

The sad thing is - it is a case of here and now!
    We are short of hospital beds, the roads are packed, there is no accommodation down South come school holiday time and we are short of people to fill various jobs in the work force.
    The reality is we are behind the eight ball in some many areas at the moment and one is (like it or lump it) the Weagles are crying out for more seats at their games, the Dockers are getting there. AFL has a big stick as you know. Best leave them to "their" stadium!
    We should work on alternatives that the government will give us. They seem non-pluses about MEQ.

Well how about this for a shot in the dark - there is a place called Tamala Park. For those who live North you'll be familiar with this place. At present it is a waste storage facility (a dump!) between Kinross and Clarkson. It is operated by 5 local authorities City of Wanneroo, Joondalup, Stirling and some others that escape me for the moment (might be Shire of Gin Gin?)
    They have already put a proposal to have a sports complex similar to the Hong Kong Sport Complex set up (Rugby Club/Race track as the centre piece!) There are innovative ideas such using the gases from the decomposing matter to provide fuel for electrical generators to power the whole facility. It is a huge site so there could training pitches for Rugby Union, Rugby League, Football, Hockey, etc. Tennis courts, bowling greens and perhaps even 9 holes!

You may have heard on the news they are opening a brand new recycling facility at Neerabup as the Rubbish life of Tamala Park is limited!

The Freeway will soon and the train already runs within the Eastern boundary of the suburb. This is an opportunity for TWF to head a consortium consisting of RugbyWA, 5 Cities/Shires and stakeholders to create a sensational 20,- 25,- 30,000 seater state of the art facility with easy access and best of all cheap "green" running costs.

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by no.8 View Post

Well how about this for a shot in the dark - there is a place called Tamala Park. For those who live North you'll be familiar with this place. At present it is a waste storage facility (a dump!) )

sounds a bit like subi thats a dump!!

vCash
    Shit 8, I drive an hour from Rockingham already! I'll need to take Fridays off during the season!

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jazza93 View Post
    dont forget to mention that we will have a NRL team in 2010
    thats pushing it a bit isnt it?
    its forecast to be seriously looked at somewhere between 2011-2012 depending on the interest that is shown between now and then
    however as of next year the W.A.R. will be playing and would love to have a better field to play on, MES and Subi are both hardly suitable for competitions such as the super14, NRL and Aleague (even if glory suck) to be played at

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Brizzo View Post
    I have no doubts in my mind...especially after the Force were made to alter their competition seasons with the Crusaders to make way for the "possibility" of a home final for the Eagles or Dockers in the A.F.L's preseason...that the Force require a new purpose built stadium to have autonomy over their Rugby games and the wellbeing of the players.

I'm sure Carps will see the light. And if he doesn't then I'm sure little Johnny will help out. He said he loves the Wallabies as much as the Australian cricket team...and he has just given a combined 11 million dollars to W.A. Cricket and the Bradman museum to ensure cricket continues in this state. Surely he throw some of the budget surplus our way!
    Excellent comment and welcome to the site....

vCash
    i was a little peeved to see that Subi oval was being "held" for the possibility of an afl preseason final. I'm all for different codes being played there and for schedules to be negotiated re: home games for different codes but I thought the power difference was exposed with this call. it's not the best ground for viewing rectangle fields but i've enjoyed the games i've seen there. initially i wasn't too concerned with a stadium change but i think it is clear that a new stadium should be on the cards. With a bumper NRL season this year I think it is inevitable. With CH9 giving Perth viewers almost live games on a sunday afternoon and a live grand final it is certain that the NRL will make another push post-superleague into WA and SA in the next five years or so. To have a home stadium 30000+ capacity for the Force, WANRL and the Glory is a no brainer.

I think Perth has a real opportunity to become a big player in Australian Rugby and with a new stadium it could attract more international games, (can you imagine being able to watch a Bledisloe contest in Perth...giddyup), and with an extended international home and away series, rugby might one day make a little push at AFL.

vCash
    Good points Tempo and too attract these international events a quality stadium can help get them!!

Quote Originally Posted by GiteauIsGunnaScoreTwenty View Post
    Shit 8, I drive an hour from Rockingham already! I'll need to take Fridays off during the season!
    M8 It is very rare that a brand new stadium is built in the centre of a city -
    Stade de France is in the Paris suburb of St. Denis which beyond the Paris ring road the "Pheripherique" a 45 minute drive or a 1/2 hour train trip or 2 hour walk from the middle of Paris.
    Twickenham which a good 15-20 minute train journey from the centre of London.
    Lansdowne Road is 15-20 train ride South from "An Lar" (Dublins' City Centre).
    Murrayfield is similar but northwards.
    Cardiff is an exceptional exception of course.

Bruce is a bus/car trip of 15-20 minutes from the centre of Canberra.
    Even some of the more famous ones like Ballymore is fair distance - seemed a very long walk after the first Lions test!
    ANZ was bus trip as well but I seemed to remember it being near a lot of houses.
    Aussie Stadium is bloody miles from everywhere!!!

There isn't the land close by the city of Perth that isn't earmarked for housing or needs excessive work to bring it up to standard (Burswood peninsular/South Fremantle!)

It would be nice...but we have to think outside the square here in Perth if we want a quality stadium that can expand to atleast 50/60/70k seats sometime in the future if we are going to be seriously in the running to host a Bledisloe...is there is a suitable lump of land around Wellard near the new rail extension/the Freeway and has a plan that includes a Rugby stadium?

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    There's a heap of land in Wellard, and along the Mandurah rail link, but I'd think a similar problem exists, How about canning vale? What sporting grounds are along the Leach Highway.If we're looking at building from the ground up, then using an existing suburban facility which is currently underused as a public open space would be a cheap place to start. The stadium grounds could then be utilised as facilities for the tenants with a deal to phase transfer to another facility as the professional fixtures fill the roster. I know it sound pie-in-the-sky, but any rectangular stadium proposal is pie-in-the-sky right now.

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    It is very rare that a brand new stadium is built in the centre of a city
    I suspect they would if they could but they can't - we can so we should.

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Cockburn city council offered to give land 'gratis' amnd wave council fees for 10 yrs if they built it next to the rail station in Cockburn.
    If the WAFC and DSR ignore free land - what makes you think they'll show any interest in something more than a stones throw from Perth Central?
    They want it near the middle, so its accessible 'to all' and an icon for the City.

vCash
    It is very rare that a brand new stadium is built in the centre of a city -
    Twickenham which a good 15-20 minute train journey from the centre of London.
    Lansdowne Road is 15-20 train ride South from "An Lar" (Dublins' City Centre).
    Murrayfield is similar but northwards.
    Cardiff is an exceptional exception of course.
    Murrayfield is about a 10 minute walk from Haymarket Station, or 20 min walk from city centre. Or 5 min by bus!
    But an existing stadium is one thing; a new one is much less likely to get city centre land, I agree.
    There are even moves to try to move our Scottish stadium out of Edinburgh and into the middle of nowhere, probably because they know they'd make a mint from the land.

Keeping the Faith ... right here in Perth!

vCash
    Burswood still as a lot of ground and by the way top of the rich list owns it?. Anything for the betterment of Rugby.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Still reckon Claremont Oval is the go, showgrounds for parking and functions, dedicated rail station, rapid dispersal to bigger entertainment precincts (Freo, Subi, Northbridge & City) and central to the greatest number of inner city Rugby Clubs and the RWA HQ.
    Can't believe they didn't even look at it

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bort View Post
    thats pushing it a bit isnt it?
    its forecast to be seriously looked at somewhere between 2011-2012 depending on the interest that is shown between now and then
    however as of next year the W.A.R. will be playing and would love to have a better field to play on, MES and Subi are both hardly suitable for competitions such as the super14, NRL and Aleague (even if glory suck) to be played at

with an NRLteam here as well as the force, the glory, the dockers and (unfortunatley) the eagles. getting a game at subi is going to be a right stare of affairs. espically if the AFL code have priority booking over any of the other teams. the attitudes of the afl code of football have already been established, "they want so therefore they take" something will need to be done to ensure that all codes (regardless of field shape) are able to play their required amount of home games each season.

would perth have been given the force if they knew the story was going to unfold like this?

there is loads of land avilable for a stadium, regardless if it is in perth or not. i live in secret harbour and i would go to every home game if they played at arena joondalup. the main concern of not having it near perth would be the expansion in infustructure that would have to occour. because GOD FORBID that the western australian government give us decent infustracture.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast