Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: WA schools poor standard

Apprentice
    vCash

WA schools poor standard

If rugby is to pick up and if WA is going to become a good rugby state (without having to rely on east coast player) schoolboy rugby must improve. In QLD, NSW and ACT the standard of schoolboy rugby is very high and the large majority of proffesional players come from the top rugby schools. My Nephew goes to churchie in Brisbane and they do weights all year around starting at the end of year ten. And they start training for the first XV in september the year earlier. This does not happen in PSA schools and they hardly do weights either.

Does anyone have any comments on this issue?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    And they're burnt out and hating it by the end of year eleven?

My intention is not to be critical, but surely it is the quality of the coaching which is the important factor here (something sadly lacking for the most part in WA), not the quantity of workload?

Just a thought.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Another aspect is that until recently WA Students are up to a year group younger than in the East due to the age cut off.
    We weren't allowed to do any serious weights until year Eleven (generally year you turned 16) for Rowing or Rugby as kids bodies are still growing etc.
    That said, there has been a general improvement across the board in the sixteen years since I was running around the PSA comp in Perth.
    It would appear from your heading that your mind is made up but in my opinion in-roads are being made every season and the standard is lifting.
    As with Fulv, I believe it is far more about having experienced modern Coaches who understand development than it is about flogging the boys into shape. The improvement in kids who go on a State Tour compared to their team mates at home is remarkable and that is only because of Coaching and exposure to equal or better opposition.
    Every year WA produces students that would be GPS level if they had been exposed to that standard, it is more of a case of retention of those players through Colts and into Premier than it is about overall depth in the first instance I believe.

Welcome to TWF by the way, hope you enjoy the site

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BOD is GOD
    If rugby is to pick up and if WA is going to become a good rugby state (without having to rely on east coast player) schoolboy rugby must improve. In QLD, NSW and ACT the standard of schoolboy rugby is very high and the large majority of proffesional players come from the top rugby schools. My Nephew goes to churchie in Brisbane and they do weights all year around starting at the end of year ten. And they start training for the first XV in september the year earlier. This does not happen in PSA schools and they hardly do weights either.

Does anyone have any comments on this issue?
    year 10 doing weights=stunting of growth there is no need doing weights. weare still growing light weights are o but its more using your own body weight instead of weights. and of course rugby over thiere is stronger. MORE PEOPLE PLAY IT! every psa school has to compete with GAFL and soccer. rugby is the minority and of the player group we draw from psa rugby is fairly strong! your telliing me hales 1st's are crap? or that the level at schoolboiys is weak. go watch the scotch wesley game this weekend and ill be fasinated how you could call psa rugby weak.!!!! and umm training for first in september most of the players have summer sports like rowing or waterpolo, you know the whole point of school isnt about sport is about school!!how u except someone to study with the load//??

thats my 2cents worth=]

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Some good points Pruc & Burgs.
    just remind me, I think I recall the WA state under 16 coming back from east - undefeated with several players selected in National under 16.

Not bad for an 'undeveloped state' ?

Apprentice
    vCash
    im not saying that the rugby is terrible. There are alot of skillful players its just that the games are not very physical I have watched a few PSA games and the players are not that physical with eachother. Do not quote me but im sure that queenslanders finish when they are 17 and they are alot bigger then our boys. And the coaching is not bad you have some very good coaches coaching at some schools.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BOD is GOD
    im not saying that the rugby is terrible. There are alot of skillful players its just that the games are not very physical I have watched a few PSA games and the players are not that physical with eachother. Do not quote me but im sure that queenslanders finish when they are 17 and they are alot bigger then our boys. And the coaching is not bad you have some very good coaches coaching at some schools.
    I guess there size makes up for there lack of intelligence.....they are from Queensland after all.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Cheap shot TEF.

Bod, I agree with some of what you say.

You have to bear in mind also though that in Qld there is no competition from Aussie Rules to speak of.

Over here there is immense pressure from within and without schools for the bigger, more athletic boys to play Airial PingPong. It is hard to attract boys to a sport they have limited exposure to in the face of this pressure, although things are improving since the Force came to town and the 2003 World Cup.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hopep
    Some good points Pruc & Burgs.
    just remind me, I think I recall the WA state under 16 coming back from east - undefeated with several players selected in National under 16.
    Not bad for an 'undeveloped state' ?
    I think you'll find that we'll see more players coming thru the schools programes and Academy before too long.

Also as RL has largely lost it's profile in WA we've seen the traditional RL schools starting to run RU programs too. At the moment I can think of at least 6 WA educated players running around in the NRL. Daniel Holdsworth and Corey Te Mari at the Bulldogs, Corey Patterson at Newcastle, Matt Peterson at the Gold Coast, Bronx Goodwin at Canberra, Bryson Goodwin at Cronulla. Could be more.

They are mostly still young, early 20's, but have been over there in the system for years, since schoolboys. Basically they were still products of the Western Reds era. Much more of this talent will stay here in the future.

When you group them with the likes of Wal-Harrison, Will Brock and the like, you can see that there are already some top drawer WA rugby players around.

vCash
    I think the main issue has been identified - its the cooaches and not the programs that are the main ingredient. A lot of coaches fail to ensure they stay with current trends and thoughts. Some have addages that the game is moving too quickly and the new laws are overtaking the pace that the coaches can handle.

How many coaches out there focus time on basics - track and tackle? catch and pass? the break down (we are very poor when it comes to entering the breakdown from the side)?

If you want to be freal critical, how many coaches get angry at the ref and hog the touch line (rather than stand the prescribed 5m from it)?. We have a lot of education to impart on the majority of our coaches.

I also think that of kids want to go play other sports they should. If you are under 10, play soccer for a bit and learn how to kick a round ball. Play Aussie Rules or basket ball for coordination and the ability to catch things above your head. When you start looking at the age group for contact in rugby, thats the time to get involved as you start learning about the game.

If you think we dont have anything to worry about, take a look at Brittannia next time you are there and see how much space there is for the touchie to run up and down.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I would also dispute the lack of hard hits.
    I have had the pleasure of watching three Scotch 1st XV matches this season (Wesley v Scotch, Scotch v Trinity & Scotch v Hale) after not seeing any for years and I actually made comment to the Coach as to how hard they were hitting against Trinity.
    There was some seriously hard hits going on and I was both surprised and impressed by what I saw.
    He said that they had made it a feature of their training to encourage hitting tackles and rucks/mauls hard.
    As I knew even back when I played, the majority of the time if you hit hard you aren't the one getting hurt!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by uglea
    I think the main issue has been identified - its the cooaches and not the programs that are the main ingredient. A lot of coaches fail to ensure they stay with current trends and thoughts. Some have addages that the game is moving too quickly and the new laws are overtaking the pace that the coaches can handle.

How many coaches out there focus time on basics - track and tackle? catch and pass? the break down (we are very poor when it comes to entering the breakdown from the side)?

If you want to be freal critical, how many coaches get angry at the ref and hog the touch line (rather than stand the prescribed 5m from it)?. We have a lot of education to impart on the majority of our coaches.

I also think that of kids want to go play other sports they should. If you are under 10, play soccer for a bit and learn how to kick a round ball. Play Aussie Rules or basket ball for coordination and the ability to catch things above your head. When you start looking at the age group for contact in rugby, thats the time to get involved as you start learning about the game.

If you think we dont have anything to worry about, take a look at Brittannia next time you are there and see how much space there is for the touchie to run up and down.
    1.britannia isnt school boy rugby. thats club rugby.
    2. every coach i have had schoolboy rugby has focussed on catch and pass,traking tackling, and work at breakdowns. go to most first teams training and they will be doing the basics for alot of the time
    3. no offence but if u have a shot at schoolboy rugby dont change the subject to rugby in general in wa/

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pruc
    1.britannia isnt school boy rugby. thats club rugby.
    2. every coach i have had schoolboy rugby has focussed on catch and pass,traking tackling, and work at breakdowns. go to most first teams training and they will be doing the basics for alot of the time
    3. no offence but if u have a shot at schoolboy rugby dont change the subject to rugby in general in wa/
    the schoolboys who play club rugby are no match for PSA players Pruc?

vCash
    its simple NSW and QLD have about 5x as much players so the competition will be alot better. i dont go to a private school but i think that they should help more schools to get a rugby team.

if we want to be superstars at this age then we will train heaps and do weights like them, or we can just enjoy it and maybe think about playing at their standards in a few years when it matters.

vCash
    I know who'd enjoy it more Jazza.... good post.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast