Thread: First Local Victorian in the Rebels

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

First Local Victorian in the Rebels

AXEMEN HATELY BECOMES A REBEL

AAMI Melbourne Rebels Update, VRU
    August 14th, 2007

Melbourne based prop Josh Hately has become Victoria’s first locally based professional Rugby player when he was called up yesterday in to the AAMI Melbourne Rebels squad for he Mazda Australian Rugby Championship.

22 year old Hately comes in for injured Australian Under 19 prop Dan Palmer who has returned to Sydney after suffering a knee injury playing for Eastern Suburbs in the Bundaberg Rum Pillar Cup.

Hately has been joined in the squad by Sydney University loose forward David Heydon, who has been called in as cover for the injured flankers Matt Hodgson and Shawn Mackay, who won’t be ready to play till later in the tournament.

Both players join the squad as the Rebels, fresh from their upset win over the Canberra Vikings on Saturday, prepare for their first ever home game against the East Coast Aces from the Gold Coast, featuring Wallaby World Cup hero Chris Latham, at 7.30pm this Saturday at Olympic Park.

Hately, who lives in St Kilda, joined his team mates at Rebels HQ in Albert Park on Monday and has been undertaking an intensive catch up course to get up to speed on team tactics and playing patterns.

An Aeronautical Engineer Hately moved to Melbourne from Sydney last year, where he studied at Sydney University, to take up a job at the Ford plant at Geelong. Luckily for Josh the job was in product development not at the engine plant which is slated to close.

On arrival in Melbourne, he linked up with the Melbourne University club and was soon called up to the Melbourne Axemen, the state amateur representative team who play in the Australian Rugby Shield (ARS).

In a good omen for the Rebels the Axemen won the ARS , the national amateur championship, this year for the first ever time.

Two weeks ago in a trial at Olympic Park between the Rebels and the Axemen, Hately impressed both Rebels players and coaching staff with his impressive scrummaging and workrate at the breakdown. When it became clear Palmer would not recover in time, Hately got the call up.

“The team had been announced and started training already” said Hately, “so I was surprised to get the call up but excited at the same time.”

At first daunted by his new team mates such as Wallabies Matt Cockbain and Digby Ioane, Hately has been made to feel right at home in the Rebels camp.

“It’s good if a little bit overwhelming” he continued, “but it helps knowing a few of the guys (from his days playing for Sydney University). It’s a very professional set up and I’ve really been made to feel welcome in the two days I’ve been here. I can also feel an excellent team spirit in the squad.”

Hately was quick to point out that his time with the Axemen had prepared him well to make the jump up to the Rebels and professional Rugby.

“My time with the Axemen was great” said Hately. “Training with all the guys and the support staff, it was great experience. I guess what really impressed me with the Axemen was the dedication the guys showed. They do really wanted to be there. With the Axemen we do it for each other and that strong bond is very enjoyable to be around.”

Hately feels the isolation in Victoria from the rest of Australian Rugby brings the players closer together.

“I haven’t been here that long but there’s a sense that Victoria has just been ignored in a Rugby sense. So we have to stick together and battle it out together. We don’t get any favours, which is kind of how we prefer it. Let the results and performances do the talking rather than any favouritism.”

Hately went on to say the arrival of the Rebels in Melbourne is a great occasion for local players as it will now give players like himself something to aspire to.

“The Rebels is now the way forward,” he explained. “It’s something for guys to look up to and gives them an extra reason to get up at 5.30am every morning to train before work then work then train again after work. ”

“It’s a chance to play top level Rugby in Melbourne and that keeps younger players here as well as grassroots supporters as well. It gives them a vision and pride in their code.”

Hately’s aim during his time with the team, apart from helping the Rebels win the ARC is “to learn as much as I can” so he can take that knowledge back to his Axemen and club teammates.

“I want to learn and grow as a player”, he said, “then I hope I can take that knowledge back to my club and the Axemen next year. I also want to get my name out there as a player and a player who’s proud to be from Melbourne.”

“I’m really grateful for the chance Melbourne has given me – to play with the Axemen and the Rebels. I love Melbourne. I really enjoy it, the mates who I have formed down here.”

“I want to do well for Melbourne but for the Axemen as well. I want to play for all the boys I played with this year When I play for the Rebels I’m playing for the Axemen.”

Although he’s been here just over a year, Hately is clearly already heart and soul Melbourne.

Rebels coach Bill Millard will name his team to play the Aces on Wednesday.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Well done Josh.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!