Thread: FAVA SET TO LEAD CHARGE AGAINST THE VIKINGS

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

FAVA SET TO LEAD CHARGE AGAINST THE VIKINGS

Bustling backrower Scott Fava is set to lead out the ET Perth Spirit in its Mazda Australian Rugby Championship clash against the Canberra Vikings on Friday night at Members Equity Stadium.

The former Brumby and Emirates Western Force vice captain will take over the reins from Matt Henjak if the latter fails a fitness test later this week.

Henjak, also a former Brumby and Canberra Viking, injured a knee in last Friday’s match against the Western Sydney Rams and looked likely to miss a week. But his injury is improving quicker than expected.

Fava moves back to his more familiar position of No 8, with Richard Brown shifting to openside flanker to replace the injured David Pocock, who also damaged a knee in the Rams game and is expected to miss at least six weeks.

Emirates Western Force blindside flanker Luke Doherty will make his debut for the ET Perth Spirit, as will Nedlands winger Dan Bailey.

In other changes, Scott Daruda moves from the bench to flyhalf in a direct switch with James Hilgendorf as part of rotation policy, as does hooker Luke Holmes for Tai McIsaac.

Recent Emirates Western Force signing Scott Fardy, a late withdrawal from the last week’s game because of a leg injury, is back on the bench. However, he will also need to pass a fitness test. Wests Subiaco lock Kitone Fuluna is on standby.

ET Perth Spirit Head Coach John Mulvihill said that before the start of the competition he believed the Canberra Vikings would be the hardest team to beat, and, after watching their game against the Melbourne Rebels, his view had not changed.

“We will have to step up a level for the contest at the breakdown because it’s going to be tougher there than last week,” he said.

“It’s an area the Vikings seem to be stronger and lower than most of the other teams in the championship.”

The squad is:
    1.Pek Cowan
    2. Luke Holmes
    3. AJ Whalley
    4. Tom Hockings
    5. Sitaleki Timani
    6. Luke Doherty
    7. Richard Brown
    8. Scott Fava

9. James Stannard (Matt Henjak)
    10. Scott Daruda
    11. Nick Cummins
    12. Junior Pelesasa
    13. Ryan Cross
    14. Dan Bailey
    15. Cameron Shepherd

16.Tai McIsaac
    17.Troy Takiari
    18. Scott Fardy (Kitone Fuluna)
    19. Will Brock
    20. James Hilgendorf
    21. Lachlan MacKay
    22. Ratu Siganiyavi

EDITOR’S NOTE
    If Pek Cowan is suspended at tonight’s Judicial Hearing, his place will be taken by Troy Takiari and Kieran Longbottom will move onto the bench.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Apprentice
    vCash
    watching the game on friday night i thought Sitaleki Timani played well a strong ball runner does anyone know much background about him?

vCash
    Flanker Vanderglas enters starting fray

The Navy Canberra Vikings have promoted Easts flanker Jack Vanderglas to their starting line-up for Friday night’s Mazda Australian Rugby Championship match against the Perth Spirit at Members Equity Stadium.

Vanderglas’ inclusion, replacing Wallaby lock/backrower Mark Chisholm, is the only change to the Navy Canberra Vikings’ run-on side following their thrilling 32-27 first-round loss to the Melbourne Rebels on Saturday.

The 24 year old, who started off the bench last weekend, says he’s excited about making his run-on debut for the Navy Canberra Vikings.

“Playing in Saturday’s match [against the Melbourne Rebels] was a great experience,” he said. “The pace of the game was very quick and it was a very physical affair. But now I’ve got that first hit-out under my belt, I feel like I can settle into playing my own game.

“This weekend will be a big challenge against the Perth, who are tournament favourites. But it also presents a fantastic opportunity for me to test myself against the competition’s best. The Spirit’s backrow is definitely one of their strengths, and playing against contracted guys like Scott Fava and Richard Brown gives me a great chance to see where my game is at.”

Lock Dan Guinness joins the 22-man squad for the first time this season off the bench.

Meanwhile, the Navy Canberra Vikings’ backline remains in tact with Christian Lealiifano at flyhalf, Gene Fairbanks and Matt Carraro in the centres and two of last weekend’s tryscorers, Eddie McLaughlin and Francis Fainifo, on the wings.

Navy Canberra Vikings head coach Nick Scrivener says he’s expecting a tough challenge from the West Australians.

“It’s widely acknowledged that Perth is potentially the best team in the competition,” he said. “They have a large number of contracted players, they had two large wins in their two trial matches and they’ve begun their ARC campaign well with a win over the Rams. We’re under no illusions that a team featuring guys like Henjak, Fava, Shepherd and Cross, is going to be very tough especially at home.”

“The bottom line is we’ve just got to get better. We can’t make excuses for last Saturday, Melbourne thoroughly deserved their win. And while we were extremely disappointed with the result, we did construct four good tries, we finished the game strongly and our lineout functioned well.

“We’re certainly not hitting the panic stations; we’ve just got to be smarter and more effective in what we do.”

Backrower Pauliasi Taumoepeau will travel with Navy Canberra Vikings as 23rd man.

The Navy Canberra Vikings take on the Ballymore Tornadoes in their next home match at Manuka Oval on Sunday, 26 August. General Admission tickets for Mazda ARC matches are currently on sale from Canberra Ticketek and all Ticketek agencies.

Navy Canberra Vikings v Perth Spirit

Mazda ARC Round 2, Members Equity Stadium

Friday, 17 August 2007. Kick-off: 7.00pm

Navy Canberra Vikings

1. Nic Henderson
    2. Saia Faingaa
    3. John Ulugia
    4. Alister Campbell ©
    5. Adam Wallace-Harrison
    6. Jack Vanderglas
    7. Julian Salvi
    8. Jone Tawake
    9. Nick Haydon
    10. Christian Lealiifano
    11. Francis Fainifo
    12. Gene Fairbanks
    13. Matt Carraro
    14. Eddie McLaughlin
    15. Tim Wright
    Reserves:

16. Anthony Hegarty
    17. Dan Raymond
    18. Dan Guinness
    19. Peter Kimlin
    20. Anthony Faingaa
    21. Rowan Kellam
    22. Tim Cornforth
    23. Pauliasi Taumoepeau

Doesen't say if they are bringing the plastic Viking with them

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I reckon this will be a cracking match, two pretty well balanced sides with the Spirit a little stronger in the Backs and the Vikings a little stronger in the Forwards.
    I sense there is a fair degree of "Force Development Squad" rather than best team every week, (there's only a possible maximum of ten matches so they shouldn't need a rest) but I think they would have been better placed reversing the "rotation" that has happened at #2 and #10. The Vikings were always going to be a stronger team than the Rams.
    A bad week to be without Pocock however the return of Doherty will have a huge impact.
    Assume Boof must still be out injured not to have been in the 22?
    Great stuff to Dan Bailey and congrats to a no-doubt chuffed Bails
    I'd put a few sly vDollars on Scotty Fava for man of the match too just quietly
    Would have loved to have seen this one

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    What happens at #9 and the bench if Henners is ruled out?

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry
    What happens at #9 and the bench if Henners is ruled out?

panic

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Stannard better eat an extra bowl of Wheaties...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Maybe Curtis Maclean will come in for him.

vCash
    What's with John McGrath?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    He's over with the Rebels.
    Behind Hennas here, behind Burgess there, poor bugger can't win!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.