Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Perth Spirit Victory!

vCash

Perth Spirit Victory!

The Perth spirit has come up with a win at members equity stadium.
    They put the pressure on they western Sydney rams but couldn't put the points on the board. finally Cameron shepherd went over to score the first try.
    They went to the half time lead 15-3.

The second half was very slow and full of penalties until the rams slid over for their only try of the match.
    The rams attempted to score a penalty goal to put them within 5 points but it hit off the post for Cameron shepherd to boot it away from their goal line.

The final Result was 21-13.

The man of the Match was Cameron Shepherd.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    RugbyWA Press Release:

The ET Perth Spirit have claimed a 21-13 victory over the Western Sydney Rams in round one of the Mazda Australian Rugby Championship in front of 3,643 fans on a wet and soggy night at Members Equity Stadium in Perth.

Lead by inspirational man of the match Cameron Shepherd, who finished with 16 points, the home side dominated the first 20 minutes, but could not turn possession and territory into points.

Shepherd broke the deadlock in the 21st minute after slick hands in the backline put the fullback into a hole just a few metres out.

An injury to David Pocock and a penalty goal kicked by Rams winger Ben Martin halted their momentum, but a typically strong run and offload from Ryan Cross gave debutant winger Nick Cummins an opportunity to score in the corner, which he finished well.

Half time saw referee James Leckie replaced due to injury, with Andrew Lindsay taking his place in interpreting the new ELVs.

The second half was more of a dour affair, although Rams backs Kurtley Beale and Lachlan Turner were dangerous while Shepherd and James Hilgendorf marshalled the home team’s backline with authority. The sides exchanged penalty goals before Rams centre Chris Siale barged over from five metres out to complete the scoring with 76 minutes gone.

Forwards Pek Cowan, Scott Fava and Richard Brown were impressive on the night, as was the cameo performance of replacement scrumhalf James Stannard, who came on for injured skipper Matt Henjak.

7.00pm: Ben Martin kicks off for the Western Sydney Rams.
    20th min: Luke Johnson replaced by Joshua Weeks for the Western Sydney Rams.
    21st min: Try to the ET Perth Spirit scored by Cameron Shepherd. Conversion by Shepherd is successful. ET Perth Spirit lead 7-0.
    30th min: Will Brock replaces David Pocock for the ET Perth Spirit.
    31st min: Ben Martin kicks a penalty goal for the Western Sydney Rams. ET Perth Spirit 7-3.
    34th min: Gareth Palamo replaced by Ben Coridas for the Western Sydney Rams.
    36th min: Try to the ET Perth Spirit scored by Nick Cummins. Conversion attempt by Shepherd is unsuccessful. ET Perth Spirit lead 12-3.
    38th min: Penalty goal missed by Shepherd. 12-3.
    41st min: Penalty goal kicked by Shepherd. ET Perth Spirit lead 15-3.

HALF TIME: ET PERTH SPIRIT 15 WESTERN SYDNEY RAMS 3

46th min: Penalty goal kicked by Shepherd. ET Perth Spirit lead 18-3. Matt Henjak replaced by Stannard for the ET Perth Spirit, Filipo Toala replaced by Fa’atonu Fili for the Western Sydney Rams.
    49th min: Penalty goal kicked by Martin. ET Perth Spirit lead 18-6.
    53rd min: Tai McIsaac replaced by Luke Holmes, AJ Whalley replaced by Troy Takiari for the ET Perth Spirit.
    56th min: Hugh Perrett replaced by Marty Wilson for the Western Sydney Rams.
    58th min: Penalty goal kicked by Shepherd. ET Perth Spirit lead 21-6.
    62nd min: Ratu Siganiyavi replaced by Scott Daruda, Pek Cowan replaced by AJ Whalley for the ET Perth Spirit.
    63rd min: James Lapeka replaced by Aaron Broughton-Rouse for the Western Sydney Rams.
    67th min Junior Pelesasa replaced by Lachlan Mackay for the ET Perth Spirit.
    73rd min: Sitaleki Timani replaced by Kiti Fuluna for the ET Perth Spirit. Van Humphries replaced by James Lapeka for the Western Sydney Rams.
    76th min: Try to the Western Sydney Rams scored by Chris Siale. Converted by Martin. ET Perth Spirit lead 21-13.
    77th min: Josh Holmes replaced by David Rimmer for the Western Sydney Rams.
    78th min: Tatafu Polota-Nau replaced by Ben Roberts for the Western Sydney Rams.

FULL TIME: ET PERTH SPIRIT 21 WESTERN SYDNEY RAMS 13

ET PERTH SPIRIT 21 (Shepherd, Cummins try; Shepherd 3 pens 1 con)

WESTERN SYDNEY RAMS 13 (Siale try; Martin 2 pens 1 con)

vCash
    Anyone know what Henjak's injury was supposed to be? I saw the game and didn't see him get hurt at any point??

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think he got crunched hard.....his coming off might have been precautionary....same with Bambam...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna
    Anyone know what Henjak's injury was supposed to be? I saw the game and didn't see him get hurt at any point??
    Can't remember at what point, but in the second half he got wrung like a wet dish cloth. Could have been neck, back, hair... It look painful. He got up and played for a while longer after that, but took another hard hit a little later. Good effort from him, I think he put his body on the line a bit more as captain tonight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach
    Can't remember at what point, but in the second half he got wrung like a wet dish cloth. Could have been neck, back, hair... It look painful. He got up and played for a while longer after that, but took another hard hit a little later. Good effort from him, I think he put his body on the line a bit more as captain tonight.

Mm yeah i think i remember that tackle...guess i didn't take too much notice given he did get up pretty quickly. He had a good game. Wish he'd put himself out there like that a bit more in super 14 games. I think he needs to work on his role in questioning the ref though...he was pretty quiet there and there were some seriously questionable calls there in the second half...

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I would have loved to have Sports Ears tonight.......I think he was pretty much onto the refs on decisions...i noted at one stage he asked if Tai McIssac could have a chat about the scrum engagements and the conversation was fairly animated...

vCash
    I think he needs to work on his role in questioning the ref though...he was pretty quiet there and there were some seriously questionable calls there in the second half...
    He is usually pretty lippy - but was unusually quiet tonight, probably just feeling things out in his new role.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach
    He is usually pretty lippy - but was unusually quiet tonight, probably just feeling things out in his new role.

Mmm that's more the lines i was thinking along. I did see that Tai incident and he did question the linesman on the eastern side about a knock on he missed but it felt a bit more like a casual chat of 'oh btw i think you could have missed a knock on' rather than his usual ah 'assertive' approach.

I think he's done a lot growing up though. I was impressed by him tonight

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I saw Yak at one stage on the grandstand side telling the flag guy to stand the 5 m for the player.....he went...oh yeah.......i better huh...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry
    I saw Yak at one stage on the grandstand side telling the flag guy to stand the 5 m for the player.....he went...oh yeah.......i better huh...

Hahah that's just awesome! I swear to god the players must have been able to hear some of the things the crowd was yelling as well. Some of the comments that were thrown at Ratu he must have heard. At one stage he was trying to take a kick which ended up in the stands anyway so he had no chance, but he ran into the barrier screaming 'f**k' to which the crowd cheered and laughed and he ran off cursing some more...not sure he intended us to hear all that

vCash
    Yeah! That was funny, Jimmy Hilgendorf was swearing abit tonight as well.
    "F*#%CKING SMASH HIM", Twice he did that.

Hahah that's just awesome! I swear to god the players must have been able to hear some of the things the crowd was yelling as well. Some of the comments that were thrown at Ratu he must have heard. At one stage he was trying to take a kick which ended up in the stands anyway so he had no chance, but he ran into the barrier screaming 'f**k' to which the crowd cheered and laughed and he ran off cursing some more...not sure he intended us to hear all that

vCash
    Caught a few choice words from Junior as well - it's brilliant - nothing like Subi

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Champion
    vCash
    ratu u could see after he said was thinking shit they can hear me. that was pretty funny.

felt sorry for him though. didnt get any ball they needed to use him alot more.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    he just slipped in the wet conditions & twisted his knee
    looked a bit nasty actually,hope there is no real damage

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast