Edmonds hungry for Canberra return
Thursday, August 09, 2007

Brumbies Media Unit

New recruit Huia Edmonds says he is keen to push for the CA Brumbies starting XV and make the most of any opportunities with his new province in 2008.

Edmonds, who played his junior rugby with Canberra’s Tuggeranong Vikings club, will join the CA Brumbies on a two-year deal after two years with the Cape Town-based Stormers in South Africa.

The 25 year old, whose older brother Manuel played two Tests for the Wallabies between 1998 and 2001, represented the Australian Under 21’s alongside current CA Brumbies Mark Gerrard, Jone Tawake, Mark Chisholm, Guy Shepherdson and Nic Henderson.

Edmonds, who is currently completing his third season with Western Province in South Africa’s Currie Cup, says he’s looking forward to the challenge of playing with the CA Brumbies in 2008.

“I’m very excited about the opportunity I’ve been given with the Brumbies, not only having the chance to play Super 14 but also to develop my game in what is revered as one of the best rugby programs in the world,” he said. “The Brumbies’ philosophy has always been about giving players a go, and I’m keen to make the most of any opportunity I get.”

Edmonds says he’s looking forward to coming back to Canberra.

“I loved growing up and playing my rugby in Canberra and I’ve always enjoyed the Brumbies style of football, so it’s all come together nicely,” he said. “I’ve got a number of friends in the squad at the moment and Peter Playford and Mark Gerrard always talk about the great culture at the Brumbies. I’m really excited about playing in what is shaping as a very strong Brumbies squad for next season.”

CA Brumbies head coach Laurie Fisher says Edmonds will be a key member of the CA Brumbies forward pack in 2008.

“Huia is a skilful and mobile hooker who has played a considerable amount of senior football with Western Province in the Currie Cup and with the Waratahs and Stormers in the Super 14,” he said. “It’s a great benefit to bring a player with Super 14 experience into the squad and it’s especially pleasing to welcome another local junior back into the Brumbies family.

“We’re looking forward to Huia continuing his rugby development with us and pushing for a starting position alongside Saia Faingaa and John Ulugia next year.

Brumbies Rugby CEO Andrew Fagan says he’s pleased that Edmonds will join the likes of fellow recruits, scrumhalf Josh Holmes and lock/backrower Mitchell Chapman, at the CA Brumbies in 2008.

“We’re very excited to have Huia on board with the Brumbies for the next two years,” he said. “He’s a skilful hooker who is very experienced and has an excellent rugby pedigree. He’s been around rugby for a long time, including Sydney club rugby with Easts, and with the Stormers and Waratahs at provincial level. We’re excited about what he will bring to our squad next season and he is genuinely excited about continuing his rugby development under the some of the best coaches and staff in the game.”

Huia Edmonds

Position: Hooker
Physical: 1.83m; 104kg
Born: 20.10.1981
Super 14 Caps: 10 (7 Waratahs, 3 Stormers)
Super 14 Points: 0
Super 14 Debut: 2002 (Waratahs) v Bulls, Pretoria