Thread: The Laws Explained - Part III - Law 10 Foul Play

vCash

The Laws Explained - Part III - Law 10 Foul Play

Another Law, part of which seems not that well understood by players &/or spectators. Obviously some parts of this Law are, well bleeding obvious, but others seem mysterious.

Let's look at part of the Law, shall we?
    10.1 OBSTRUCTION
    (a) Charging or pushing. When a player and an opponent are running for the ball, either player must not charge or push the other except shoulder-to-shoulder.
    (b) Running in front of a ball carrier. A player must not intentionally move or stand in front of a team mate carrying the ball thereby preventing opponents from tackling the current ball carrier or the opportunity to tackle potential ball carriers when they gain possession.
    (c) Blocking the tackler. A player must not intentionally move or stand in a position that prevents an opponent from tackling a ball carrier.
    (d) Blocking the ball. A player must not intentionally move or stand in a position that prevents an opponent from playing the ball.
    (e) Ball carrier running into team mate at a set-piece. A player carrying the ball after it has left a scrum, ruck, maul or lineout must not run into team mates in front of the player.
    (f) Flanker obstructing opposing scrum half. A flanker in a scrum must not prevent an opposing scrum half from advancing around the scrum.

The sanction for all of these is a penalty kick.

(a) Charging or pushing This one is pretty clear and obvious; when you are involved in a foot race for the ball, you can push shoulder-to-shoulder only. Leave your arms and hands in the usual running motion stuff.

(b) Running in front of a ball carrier Here it is folks! Obstruction, crossing, whatever you want to call it. The key phrase in this part of the law is ...thereby preventing opponents from tackling the current ball carrier or the opportunity to tackle potential ball carriers... So, the referee must determine whether the "crossing" has interfered with the defender's ability (or opportunity) to tackle. I suggest, therefore, that not all "crossing" is penalisable. Conversely, if the defender is sucked in to tackling the dummy runner, or is taken out by the dummy runner running into him, therby creating space for the actual ball carrier to run into, then he should be penalised.

(c) Blocking the tackler Pretty obvious this one. But sometimes it's much in the same vein as b.

(d) Blocking the ball Again pretty obvious, and quite rare to see in a game. If it does happen, the offender is usually berated by his team-mates for not just picking the thing up rather than AFL shepherding tactics. Or the offender has just crossed codes and forgotten where he is...

(e) Ball carrier running into team mate at a set-piece This is sllightly different to "accidental offside", which usually occurs at a non-set piece. The key here is that it's a set piece and the team mate is, therefore, likely loitering in an off-side position. And an intentional act. Probably.

(f) Flanker obstructing opposing scrum half Hardly ever seen in the game today.... Yeh, right. Flankers: take up whatever position you like in the scrum, but then hold that position. If you're virtually 90 degrees to your lock, well, wtf? You're not really helping to push are you? If ye change position after the ball is fed then ye shall be pinged.

Now, this is just a basic summary/explanation and I am more than happy to field all of those "what ifs" you want to throw at me. Bring 'em on!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky
    Now, this is just a basic summary/explanation and I am more than happy to field all of those "what ifs" you want to throw at me. Bring 'em on!
    Ok "Sir".

Getting straight back to the decoy runner discussion. Lets say a decoy, in front of the ball carrier does not actually obstruct a defender from making a tackle but rather attracts the defender(s) away from the ball carrier. Is he still taking part in the play, even though indirectly, from an offside position as per you explanation of the offside law? This is one of the very "fine line" areas for referees I reckon and must be extremely difficult to get right in the heat of battle.

vCash
    Conversely, if the defender is sucked in to tackling the dummy runner, or is taken out by the dummy runner running into him, therby creating space for the actual ball carrier to run into, then he should be penalised
    This was the one area that doesn't look right. If the defender is 'sucked in' to tackling the dummy runner (but the dummy runner hasn't obstructed the defender) then surely that is the point of the dummy runner.......?

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    For both of these "what ifs":

The ref will need to decide if ...thereby preventing opponents...the opportunity to tackle potential ball carriers... comes into play. I guess you'd have to see what happened in that particular piece of play, so I can't really generalise.

BUT if the dummy runner "obstructs" an opponent by either just being in his way or getting tackled by him, and then the ball carrier uses that space created, then yes, it's a penalty. Well, it is on my pitch.

vCash
    IMHO, if the defender is sucked in by the dummy runner & tackles him then the defender is not actually obstructing him as he is a dummy/decoy runner. If anything, it should be a penalty to the attacking side as the dummy runner was tackled without the ball.

I guess it's all down to specifics of how the dummy runner is placed in the move but if we take Ecky's description as I'm understanding it then there's no place for dummy runners or moves & we'll just have a line of blokes running straight at each other (a bit like British Bulldogs!!!)......a bit like mungo really.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    either player must not charge or push the other except shoulder-to-shoulder.
    I thought you weren't allowed to touch them at all. Well I'll be damned.