Navy Canberra Vikings set for Mazda ARC debut
Wednesday, August 08, 2007
Brumbies Rugby Media Unit

The Navy Canberra Vikings have named 14 CA Brumbies-contracted players in their squad for their inaugural Mazda Australian Rugby Championship (ARC) season opener against the Melbourne Rebels at Manuka Oval on Saturday.

Current Wallaby lock/backrower Mark Chisholm joins the squad for Saturday’s match in his final appearance before heading to France for the 2007 Rugby World Cup.

Chisholm, who will play blindside flanker on Saturday, says he’s keen to make his mark against the Rebels.

“I’m very excited about getting a chance to play in the ARC,” he said. “I’ve been looking forward to this ever since Knuckles [Wallabies head coach John Connolly] told me I’d get the chance to play an ARC game.

“This is a great competition and it was needed to create that next step in professional rugby before Super 14.

“Obviously I didn’t get a lot of game time in the Wallabies’ domestic season and I’m looking to get some time on the paddock and get some extra fitness under my belt, which the new rules and this competition will provide, in the run in to France.”

Chisholm is joined in the Navy Canberra Vikings pack by fellow Wallabies, Alister Campbell and Nic Henderson, who joins the side after being rested from their 28-10 trial loss to the Western Sydney Rams on Friday.

CA Brumbies Julian Salvi, Francis Fainifo and Anthony Faingaa will also make their first appearance for the Navy Canberra Vikings after missing last week’s trial, while hooker Saia Faingaa moves from the bench into the starting XV.

Navy Canberra Vikings head coach Nick Scrivener says his side needs to start well in the new competition.

“We’re very fortunate to be able to name 14 [Investec Super 14] contracted players in our squad, however, we’re very aware that reputations count for little in this competition,” he said. “There are a number of club footballers playing for contracts and we saw on Friday night how dangerous those players can be.

“This is only a short competition and it has to be a focus of ours to improve each week. We know the Rebels will be a very aggressive and enthusiastic unit, then we head to Perth to play the Spirit, who will also be very tough, and we’re already quarter of the way through the competition.

“With just eight preliminary eight matches before the finals we can’t afford to drop any games and to do that it’s imperative that we have our leading players playing well.”

Australia A representatives Jone Tawake and Adam Wallace-Harrison will add further muscle to the Navy Canberra Vikings scrum while Gene Fairbanks and Matt Carraro will form a robust centre pairing.

The Rebels also boast a strong Brumbies Rugby flavour with current CA Brumbies Peter Playford and Richard Stanford, former squad members Luke Burgess and Peter Owens, and former Brumbies Academy scrumhalf Jon McGrath all contracted to Melbourne for the Mazda ARC.

General Admission tickets for Mazda ARC matches are currently on sale from Canberra Ticketek and all Ticketek agencies.

Navy Canberra Vikings v Melbourne Rebels
Mazda ARC Round 1, Manuka Oval
Saturday, 11 August 2007. Kick-off: 2.30pm

Navy Canberra Vikings

1. Nic Henderson
2. Saia Faingaa
3. John Ulugia
4. Alister Campbell ©
5. Adam Wallace-Harrison
6. Mark Chisholm
7. Julian Salvi
8. Jone Tawake